BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #45
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

For clarification, the 3rd row does not delete comfort rear seats. It's more like comfort rear seats are part of the 3rd row option :-) When you order 3rd row, the second row is able to slide forward/backwards and also tilt AKA "comfort rear seats". If you order an F15 w/o 3rd row or "rear comfort", the second row is stationary and not adjustable. Finally, rear comfort or 3rd row does not slide back any farther than the standard second row; however, you can slide the seats forward several inches, tilt seat forwards/backwards, and it's 60/40 split.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #46
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Keep in mind that the tilt on the back seats does not have that much range:

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #47
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
For clarification, the 3rd row does not delete comfort rear seats. It's more like comfort rear seats are part of the 3rd row option :-) When you order 3rd row, the second row is able to slide forward/backwards and also tilt AKA "comfort rear seats". If you order an F15 w/o 3rd row or "rear comfort", the second row is stationary and not adjustable. Finally, rear comfort or 3rd row does not slide back any farther than the standard second row; however, you can slide the seats forward several inches, tilt seat forwards/backwards, and it's 60/40 split.
yes this makes sense....afterall, we need to pay around what $3,000 for third row? it needs to cover something besides 2 seats...lol !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #48
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I finally decided to stick with the Standard seats...at the end, couldn't justify the $3-$4k to be honest...The standard seats can't be that bad afterall...the $80,000 car should be decent enough without extra baggage...make sense?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #49
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Thanks for the clarification & video
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #50
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Personally I'd have swapped the leather color, but then I've been burnt with std seats on a 3 series. They really hurt my back and I don't suffer from back issues, so always go comfort seats now.

You spend more time in contact with the seat than anything else in the car, if it's not perfect, it can be anything from irritating, to actually having to sell the car.. How important is interior color in comparison?

I wouldn't submit an order without at least 30 mins sat in the standard seat. Maybe even an hour test drive
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #51
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw
I finally decided to stick with the Standard seats...at the end, couldn't justify the $3-$4k to be honest...The standard seats can't be that bad afterall...the $80,000 car should be decent enough without extra baggage...make sense?
500 miles in and I Iike mine.

I'm 5'7" and I thought that I'd be swimming in them. In fact, while the bolsters are far less supportive than a sport seat (I've owned an E92 M3, for context), they have much, much more shape than the outgoing version.

That said, I would probably would have gone multi-contour if I could do it again...it was more of an accidental omission than conscious choice.

Nevertheless- they get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #52
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Personally I'd have swapped the leather color, but then I've been burnt with std seats on a 3 series. They really hurt my back and I don't suffer from back issues, so always go comfort seats now.

You spend more time in contact with the seat than anything else in the car, if it's not perfect, it can be anything from irritating, to actually having to sell the car.. How important is interior color in comparison?

I wouldn't submit an order without at least 30 mins sat in the standard seat. Maybe even an hour test drive
You guys make it sound like the standard seat is below a standard product!!!
I'm definitely sure that the comfort seat is better...but don't forget the delta we need to add in order to get 2 comfort seats....$3,000+taxes+ interest and if you'd want a different color than the standards offered, then we are talking about another $1,400 + Tax + interest adding to $5,000 plus!
That's a good 6% of the total value of the car!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #53
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Fully understand, and the new x5 standard seats 'look' better than most. If you're comfortable in them then no problem, but my best advice is be sure before ordering. There's a reason most spec sport or comfort seats, and why they are so expensive. Lots of mechanics and padding in them. Got to help resale too. You'd have to discount against all the other f15's that have them. Personally resale is low priority. I want to live with this car for the next 7 years so it has to fit me and the family, I mention resale cos the seat price is clearly an irritant to you- they are pricey.

Ultimately comes down to personal priority based on past experience. I never even cared about seats in the past. It was engine, gearbox, sat nav, color, etc. then I experienced the 330 seats, lost $20k in 12 months, and now wouldn't buy a car without fully testing the seats again.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #54
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fully understand, and the new x5 standard seats 'look' better than most. If you're comfortable in them then no problem, but my best advice is be sure before ordering. There's a reason most spec sport or comfort seats, and why they are so expensive. Lots of mechanics and padding in them. Got to help resale too. You'd have to discount against all the other f15's that have them. Personally resale is low priority. I want to live with this car for the next 7 years so it has to fit me and the family, I mention resale cos the seat price is clearly an irritant to you- they are pricey.

Ultimately comes down to personal priority based on past experience. I never even cared about seats in the past. It was engine, gearbox, sat nav, color, etc. then I experienced the 330 seats, lost $20k in 12 months, and now wouldn't buy a car without fully testing the seats again.
Your point is very valid...we selected the CS and crossed it out 3 times...lol
if I had the extra G's I would have probably selected it...I still have some time to rethink this through...as mine is a Diesel and the production won't start until Jan.

I still like to hear everyone's opinion and make the right decision...I also hear your point around investment and resell...I think this car will be with me for at least 4-5 years...but on the other hand, I don't want to keep it that long that it becomes worthless for resell...I liked your view on resell (with CS)

Last edited by Shaw; 11-24-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #55
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep

A seat is something you will experience every time you drive your car. Treat your ass and back to some nice seats. They deserve it

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #56
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

I totally understand the $$ thing - I have a kid in college so I well know!

But after owning 2 X6's and an X5 35d for myself (and now driving my wives e70 35i now and then) there is no way I'd get an x5 w/out multi contour seats....

Hell, they're one of the best features imo - right up there with 20" wheels and a heated steering wheel
      11-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #57
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

I had the comfort seats in my prior X5 and was very glad I did.

The name "comfort" seats might be interpreted as if they were more padded or something. The truth is, what makes them so comfortable is that they are so much more adjustable than the regular and the sport seats. We are all very different sizes and shapes -- even people who are the same height have different length legs and torsos -- and the comfort seats really adjust to fit YOU and thus keep YOU comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #58
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Your point is very valid...we selected the CS and crossed it out 3 times...lol
if I had the extra G's I would have probably selected it...I still have some time to rethink this through...as mine is a Diesel and the production won't start until Jan.

I still like to hear everyone's opinion and make the right decision...I also hear your point around investment and resell...I think this car will be with me for at least 4-5 years...but on the other hand, I don't want to keep it that long that it becomes worthless for resell...I liked your view on resell (with CS)
Shaw, I was there back and forth because I like mocha color the most, so I understand what you are going through now. Went all the way to configure nappa mocha package and ready to order until I saw the leather nappa mocha in person. It looks beautiful, feels great, smells great and gives a car a much much more exclusive look but also waaaaay too sensitive if you have kids in the back (also any transportation of furniture and such is risky business). Car in the saloon had shown lines on the driver's seat after 2-3 days people getting in/out of the car. Car in the showroom had ventilated seats. Leather for ventilated seats (in the middle) appears to be less soft then the nappa in the rest of the car and less prone to show usage. However, ventilated are an added option and if someone (e.g. child) spills liquid it is almost impossible to get out. I assume if you spill coffee or coke during driving it is super difficult to get it out. Salesman said also there is less padding with ventilation (logical), but could be wrong. I have comfort seats in my X6 and absolutely love them. They are such good and comfortable seats that I was convinced I will (from then onwards) always take comfort seats. Well BMW did not make that really possible for me because I need dakota because of its durability and rigidity but I do not like any of the colors as much as Mocha. I also loved the leater dashboard in my X6. I believe the car was mega silent partly to the leather dashboard. THere are zero squeeks in that car and the music creates no vibration whatsoever. So with Mocha Dakota (in Europe), I cannot take leather dash. So I went (signed) the order with Terra (Comfort Seats) and leather dash. Saw Terra live in front of the dealer's right after I signed and did not like it. It is nice, but just like saddle brown. Had saddle brown 7 years ago and got really bored of it. So I went Monday and changed seat color to mocha dakota, took sport seats and added lumbar support (EUR 300). Comfort seats that include lumbar support and few other goodies were EUR 400 extra (with M package). So I had to "sacrifice" leather dash and comfort seats because I believe dakota mocha is more important to me. I also saved quite a bit on the way because nappa mocha is more expensive along with the added ventilation seats and would have gotten leather dash with terra. There must be a way for you to add sport seats and dakota mocha (perhaps even include lumbar support). Standard seats are really not good, I know they should be better, or one would assume they are, but in reality for most people, they are just not good enough eventhough the car in question is very expensive.

Last edited by 1230vani; 11-25-2013 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #59
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'm just as bad with other options, swapping and changing every two minutes while trying to stay in budget. I've removed the kids Heated Seats and added Reverse Camera and Comfort Access. I figure they won't need heated seats as they legally have to be in boosters for the next few years, and the ad-hoc adult passengers can suck it up.

I tend to find once you have the car, or at least once the shock of handing over $$$$ of cash has passed, you don't worry about how much it cost. Its just during the ordering process. So you will sit in those sport or comfort seats and not once regret getting them. Would you be able to say the same if you don't get them?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #60
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm really glad I'm not the only one that changed options so frequently. I literally gave my CA 5 different builds before it couldn't be changed anymore. I thought I was a freak so glad I'm in good company.

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #61
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A seat is something you will experience every time you drive your car. Treat your ass and back to some nice seats. They deserve it
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #62
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Shaw, I was there back and forth because I like mocha color the most, so I understand what you are going through now. Went all the way to configure nappa mocha package and ready to order until I saw the leather nappa mocha in person. It looks beautiful, feels great, smells great and gives a car a much much more exclusive look but also waaaaay too sensitive if you have kids in the back (also any transportation of furniture and such is risky business). Car in the saloon had shown lines on the driver's seat after 2-3 days people getting in/out of the car. Car in the showroom had ventilated seats. Leather for ventilated seats (in the middle) appears to be less soft then the nappa in the rest of the car and less prone to show usage. However, ventilated are an added option and if someone (e.g. child) spills liquid it is almost impossible to get out. I assume if you spill coffee or coke during driving it is super difficult to get it out. Salesman said also there is less padding with ventilation (logical), but could be wrong. I have comfort seats in my X6 and absolutely love them. They are such good and comfortable seats that I was convinced I will (from then onwards) always take comfort seats. Well BMW did not make that really possible for me because I need dakota because of its durability and rigidity but I do not like any of the colors as much as Mocha. I also loved the leater dashboard in my X6. I believe the car was mega silent partly to the leather dashboard. THere are zero squeeks in that car and the music creates no vibration whatsoever. So with Mocha Dakota (in Europe), I cannot take leather dash. So I went (signed) the order with Terra (Comfort Seats) and leather dash. Saw Terra live in front of the dealer's right after I signed and did not like it. It is nice, but just like saddle brown. Had saddle brown 7 years ago and got really bored of it. So I went Monday and changed seat color to mocha dakota, took sport seats and added lumbar support (EUR 300). Comfort seats that include lumbar support and few other goodies were EUR 400 extra (with M package). So I had to "sacrifice" leather dash and comfort seats because I believe dakota mocha is more important to me. I also saved quite a bit on the way because nappa mocha is more expensive along with the added ventilation seats and would have gotten leather dash with terra. There must be a way for you to add sport seats and dakota mocha (perhaps even include lumbar support). Standard seats are really not good, I know they should be better, or one would assume they are, but in reality for most people, they are just not good enough eventhough the car in question is very expensive.
great insight!
One point is that, it seems we don't have an option for Sport Seats here in Canada...even the sport package comes with comfort seats...and our CS only come in Black and Beige...neither of them are my choice...
and ventilated seats...god no I don't want....I wanted a dakota with CS and I was willing to pay the special order fee ($400)...it seems the dakota rigid material doesn't allow them to make the CS...does that make sense?
anyways, my only option to have the Mocha+ CS is going with NAPPA...which I heard your same feedback...not a good idea with kids! So I think eventually I stressed too much on the financial side (not that it isn't a big factor)...but also lack of choices...

Last edited by Shaw; 11-25-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #63
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
most of the folks who have the CS are either happy with the offered colors (black or Beige)...or have sacrificed the color they liked for CS...
what would you do if you wanted dakota mocha and CS?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #64
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
mind you all that my 328i comes with Dakota beige...the leather is great...but the color...man, its hard to maintain with kids!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #65
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I'm really glad I'm not the only one that changed options so frequently. I literally gave my CA 5 different builds before it couldn't be changed anymore. I thought I was a freak so glad I'm in good company.
I won't tell you how many times I changed the order on my F11, but my CA held a little party once the build locked to no further changes

Shaw-I'd really begrudge paying a large premium for dakota leather in what is a standard color. Beige looks really nice, had it a few times, looks really classy with a dark wood and suits Luxury models probably more so than Sport.

I've currently got ivory white leather/black carpets in the F11, and its a nice contrast. Had it over 3 years with 2 kids (now 4 and 6yrs), and only just cleaned it for the first time (I know, scruffy/lazy) for the dealer part-ex appraisal, and the condition is excellent. Like it so much I've ordered the same again for the F15. Think it better suits the aluminium trim on the sports models, like black.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #66
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I won't tell you how many times I changed the order on my F11, but my CA held a little party once the build locked to no further changes

Shaw-I'd really begrudge paying a large premium for dakota leather in what is a standard color. Beige looks really nice, had it a few times, looks really classy with a dark wood and suits Luxury models probably more so than Sport.

I've currently got ivory white leather/black carpets in the F11, and its a nice contrast. Had it over 3 years with 2 kids (now 4 and 6yrs), and only just cleaned it for the first time (I know, scruffy/lazy) for the dealer part-ex appraisal, and the condition is excellent. Like it so much I've ordered the same again for the F15. Think it better suits the aluminium trim on the sports models, like black.
well I already have a beige leather 328i which I bought less than a year...so I don't want two light colors...specially with Imperial Blue...brown (mocha) is the "rightest" of all!!!
Appreciate 0