BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
IFlyEm
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Randomly shifting to park

Yesterday while backing out of a parking spot my X5 put itself into park 3 times. It would roll 10' or so then BOOM shifted to park. I tried to pull it out of the way and got up to about 5 mph in drive then it shifted again and racheted down to a stop. I shut off the car and restarted it and didn't have any further issue as I drove the car to the dealer.

The odd thing is that when I called the dealer to discuss my issue the service advisor asked if I had an X5 before pulling up my information. Is anyone else having this issue or know anything about it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
masc2279
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X6 //M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyEm View Post
Yesterday while backing out of a parking spot my X5 put itself into park 3 times. It would roll 10' or so then BOOM shifted to park. I tried to pull it out of the way and got up to about 5 mph in drive then it shifted again and racheted down to a stop. I shut off the car and restarted it and didn't have any further issue as I drove the car to the dealer.

The odd thing is that when I called the dealer to discuss my issue the service advisor asked if I had an X5 before pulling up my information. Is anyone else having this issue or know anything about it?

Thanks!
I have experienced something similar in my X6 but its when i backup towards my boat to hitch it up. If the sensors start to beep and it shows red right away my car will drop it self into park and not allow me to reverse even when there is nothing in the way. Sometimes my sensor picks up colors in the concrete and assume that its an object. And if i just put it in reverse after the first park issue as soon as i let go of the break it drops back into park. I just turn off the sensors and i can back up without issues.
2015 BMW X6 //M-Sport //M-Performance Power Kit, Black Sapphire Metallic, Terra Dakota Leather, Night Vision W/Pedestrian Detection, Adaptive Lighting, Ambiance Lighting, Led Fog Lights, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound, Heads Up Display. Rear Seat Entertainment, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Were all of your doors completely shut?
The car doesn't allow you to move or park if a door is even slightly open
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
masc2279
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X6 //M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post
Were all of your doors completely shut?
The car doesn't allow you to move or park if a door is even slightly open
Yes it was shut and i was pulling in from the street going backwards. Its when the backup sensors started detecting red object and i was going at a crawl low 1MPH it threw itself into park returned it back to reverse and dropped back into reverse turn off sensors and worked like expected.
2015 BMW X6 //M-Sport //M-Performance Power Kit, Black Sapphire Metallic, Terra Dakota Leather, Night Vision W/Pedestrian Detection, Adaptive Lighting, Ambiance Lighting, Led Fog Lights, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound, Heads Up Display. Rear Seat Entertainment, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package.
Appreciate 0