boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
SOLVED

Hey everyone. I have a 2014 X5 50i. I purchased a Dinan tune for it and attempted installing it today. My buddy was helping me out and made the mistake of unplugging the connectors in the ECU without taking pictures of where each cable was. Well fast forward three hours later and the car starts with a drivetrain malfunction and turns off immediately. I removed the tune and want to find out which bank each connector goes into. I have 2 ECU banks and three ports on each side that need to be plugged into. Problem is, I don't know what goes where. If anyone here has an X5 or X6 50i. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a picture of where the connections go into the ECU. It wouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes at the most. You have to remove one cowl on the passenger side and the air box and filter and it's right under there.

Thank you. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. I took a look at the cables to see if they were marked or labeled and I couldn't find anything indicating where to plug it in.
      10-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

This may help.

http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...f7670755fa.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Yeah I took a look at that, it wasn't much help. I did get it up and running however I cannot get the damn cabin filter and air box back in. And I'm pretty sure the ECU is not seated properly either. There's barely any room as it is and adding the dinan stuff made it nearly impossible for me to get it back together properly. I'm just gonna take it to my cousins shop to get it installed this week and see how it goes. I'm pretty surprised how cramped it is inside the engine bay, I thought there would be a lot more room.
      11-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
pigwet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80, CP, DCT

I thought you had to have an authorized dealer install? How do you like it? Very few people with the Dinan it seems.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigwet View Post
I thought you had to have an authorized dealer install? How do you like it? Very few people with the Dinan it seems.
I only trust one place to touch my car and that's Designo Motoring. They aren't an Authorized retailer.
      11-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabawi91 View Post
SOLVED

Hey everyone. I have a 2014 X5 50i. I purchased a Dinan tune for it and attempted installing it today. My buddy was helping me out and made the mistake of unplugging the connectors in the ECU without taking pictures of where each cable was. Well fast forward three hours later and the car starts with a drivetrain malfunction and turns off immediately. I removed the tune and want to find out which bank each connector goes into. I have 2 ECU banks and three ports on each side that need to be plugged into. Problem is, I don't know what goes where. If anyone here has an X5 or X6 50i. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a picture of where the connections go into the ECU. It wouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes at the most. You have to remove one cowl on the passenger side and the air box and filter and it's right under there.

Thank you. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. I took a look at the cables to see if they were marked or labeled and I couldn't find anything indicating where to plug it in.
I ran into the same problem installing one on a 50i. That cable takes up too much room when there is no room to begin with. I wound up worrying about the factory cables being bent too much and too much tension and finally took it off and went another route. Others have used it in the tight location with success. Just not for me.Good luck. Their tune works pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
SOLVED

I ran into the same problem installing one on a 50i. That cable takes up too much room when there is no room to begin with. I wound up worrying about the factory cables being bent too much and too much tension and finally took it off and went another route. Others have used it in the tight location with success. Just not for me.Good luck. Their tune works pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
SOLVED

Thank you. Running great so far. The guy that put it on made it look so easy