Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Q7 beats XC90, RRS, and X5 in Car and Driver

Ranking
1. Audi Q7 3.0T
2. Volvo XC 90
3. Range Rover Sport HSE
4. BMW X5 35i

Q7 was the most fun to drive, followed by the XC90, the RRS, and X5.

I was shocked the X5 was the least fun to drive with the best powertrain in the business. It should be first place in my opinion. A Volvo beating an X5 in the fun to drive category? Only a Porsche Cayenne could beat an X5 in dynamics, but the X5 is a more complete package with a better ride quality than all of these competitors.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Well, I am from Norway...
I have little experience with Audi, but I should surely cheer the Volvo having owned the XC60 and Sweden being our neighbor Country...
But I am not sure what to think of your posting. From where do you get these data's?

I mean - what is "fun to drive"? Please elaborate.

Yes, I personally drive the X5 25D - a pure 4 cyl engine, 211 ps X5. But that said - IF I wanted a more smoother engine and can I say, probably more suitable, the 6 cyl BMW motor is there, Gas or Diesel.

So...how about the Volvo? No way. It's a 4- cyl engine construction anyway. I have a hard time to see why the XC90 is so successful totally.
It's so "Nordic" and politically/environmentally correct as it's possible to make a SUV.

The X5 is not the best car I have driven, but it's surely a nice pack.

All best late Saturday night regards,
Bent
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXdriver View Post
Well, I am from Norway...
I have little experience with Audi, but I should surely cheer the Volvo having owned the XC60 and Sweden being our neighbor Country...
But I am not sure what to think of your posting. From where do you get these data's?

I mean - what is "fun to drive"? Please elaborate.

Yes, I personally drive the X5 25D - a pure 4 cyl engine, 211 ps X5. But that said - IF I wanted a more smoother engine and can I say, probably more suitable, the 6 cyl BMW motor is there, Gas or Diesel.

So...how about the Volvo? No way. It's a 4- cyl engine construction anyway. I have a hard time to see why the XC90 is so successful totally.
It's so "Nordic" and politically/environmentally correct as it's possible to make a SUV.

The X5 is not the best car I have driven, but it's surely a nice pack.

All best late Saturday night regards,
Bent
The 4 cylinder in the Volvo is quite an impressive powerplant, utilizing both a supercharger and a turbocharger to produce some impressive power numbers. The thing to remember is that the XC90 had been the real focus for all the R&D dollars that Volvo's Chinese overlords poured into the company over the past half decade. Unlike the X5, the XC90 was the product for its parent company. To dismiss what it's capable of simply because it's a Volvo is a bit foolish, I think. It's a great car, and it's very stylistically divergent from the X5. But we all know the current X5 isn't as spritely as the E70...a nod to BMW's goal of expanding market share.

As ever, we buy what we like and the magazines be damned. They don't sell those rags by never ruffling feathers.
      02-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1221078

You may find the discussion in the earlier thread on this topic of interest. This earlier thread prompted more than 3400 views and covered an extensive exchange in 57 replies.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 02-19-2016 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Longun 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 4.0D M sport

I have driven all 4 of those in the last 6 months, all new models, and the xc90 is the worst to drive (in diesel formats) Simple anyone else who's driven all 4 will tell you the same. The Gearbox and engine on the xc90 are inferior to the other 3. So to say it's a better drive than the rrs and bmw is old tosh!

It certainly has its plus points over this competition mind and I've owned the old model xc90 and it was a great car for interior design and space.

As for the Q7, yes it's a lovely car and with the all wheel steer and active suspension it really does handle well. It probably does shade both the x5 and rrs in this area but not by much.

People seem to want to jump on the band wagon for new cars, lovely and eco friendly and forget that what range rover and bmw designed 3 years ago was darn good!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Simple anyone else who's driven all 4 will tell you the same.
Clearly not.
Appreciate 0