BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

BMS 50i Tune (DIY)

This is a DIY install for the X5 50i Burger Motorsport tune.

The 50i engine uses the N63tu module. It comes with 2 units that piggyback off your MAF (Mass Airflow Sensors).

This was by far the easiest mod I have ever done. In fact, it was so easy a drunk 5 year old could install this!

I contacted board member r33 to purchase the module through his company RG Sports. http://www.rgsportshop.com/
His website was great and his shipping was the same day! Top notch service from one of the most helpful board members we have on this forum.

(I will keep this very basic and non-technical)
1st: Locate the air intake tubes. They are located on the driver’s side and passengers side of the engine.

2nd: Locate and unclip the driver’s side MAF Sensor (you can start with either side).

3rd: Insert the BMS plug where the original BMW MAF clipped into.
4: Plug the original BMW MAF clip into the BMS Module.

5: Zip tie wires so nothing is dangling.

6: Repeat on passenger side.

That’s it, you are all done! It took me about 3 minutes.

Driving impressions:
WOW, this tune is well worth the $600.00 investment. It took about 30 to 50 miles of driving for me to really feel the difference. If I had to guess, the vehicle takes some time to recalibrate and adjust to the new settings. Make sure to use 91+ octane. You will get some exhaust backpressure popping when letting off the gas at lower speeds. Some people like this sound, some don’t.
Overall, I am very happy I did this mod. It has really transformed the way the X5 performs.

This mod could really benefit from a high flow air intake. IMO, you can feel the engine is struggling to get a bit more air.

RG Sport web link for the Tune- http://www.rgsportshop.com/index.php...product_id=202

Next MODS:
1. Laser Inceptor(Laser Jammer) I am working on getting a “group buy” through LI.
2. Rigid Industries high intensity LED light bar behind the lower front grill. (This is not for everyone. For me, I would prefer to have the additional light so I won’t hit a bear at 80+mph while driving in Tahoe!)
3. Air Intake(Whenever someone creates this product. From the looks of it, it might be awhile.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@bluelodge400, Thank you for the write up and mention.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
NegativeIons
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bluelodge, how many miles did you have on your X5 before you installed the tune?

Incoming: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

I had roughly 180 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeIons View Post
Bluelodge, how many miles did you have on your X5 before you installed the tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

WOW...@bluelodge400, thank you for your write up. I had a gut feeling that was where the MAF sensors were, but I didn't want to assume anything being a first time tune-buyer. Looks like my mechanic ended up incorrectly installing the RaceChip tune after all (I guess you can't trust certain people's knowledge). I'm going to install it and see how it goes. Maybe we can compare stats .
      09-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400 View Post
I had roughly 180 miles.
i have about 200 miles as well..... very interested in reports and updates from you regarding this tune.....

i am only hesitant to take this tune so soon only because we have not broken in our engines and any issues that would have risen anyways will now be exacerbated with the tune?

how did you convince yourself to do it so quickly?

do you not care bout warranty? or are thinnking if you pull them out, who could know, and if they blame you...."what in the world are you talking about" kinda thing
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
WOW...@bluelodge400, thank you for your write up. I had a gut feeling that was where the MAF sensors were, but I didn't want to assume anything being a first time tune-buyer. Looks like my mechanic ended up incorrectly installing the RaceChip tune after all (I guess you can't trust certain people's knowledge). I'm going to install it and see how it goes. Maybe we can compare stats .
Hi Opasha,

Let me know how it goes. After I installed mine, I was convinced it couldn't be that easy and that I did not install it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

I was able to convince myself 2 ways.
1.The vehicle is leased and 2. I wanted to do it right away so I would maximize the full use/cost of the tune.

I care very much about warranty, without it, BMW would not have replaced my last X5.(I did not have any MODs done on that vehicle.)
I am still worried that there might be problems down the road and my warranty could possibly be voided but since the tune only seems to change the MAF settings, I cant possibly see there being too many problems. My guess would be that BMW Techs would only see readings that the engine is taking in more oxygen than normal. (This just my guess and I am sure I'm wrong on this one!). I just hope I don't have to cross that bridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Jouster View Post
i have about 200 miles as well..... very interested in reports and updates from you regarding this tune.....

i am only hesitant to take this tune so soon only because we have not broken in our engines and any issues that would have risen anyways will now be exacerbated with the tune?

how did you convince yourself to do it so quickly?

do you not care bout warranty? or are thinnking if you pull them out, who could know, and if they blame you...."what in the world are you talking about" kinda thing
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hi Opasha,

Let me know how it goes. After I installed mine, I was convinced it couldn't be that easy and that I did not install it right.
They are two very different installs unfortunately. I had installed mine correctly since RaceChip uses TMAP sensors.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are two very different installs unfortunately. I had installed mine correctly since RaceChip uses TMAP sensors.
@opasha, I may have mentioned to you before. The BMS also uses the TMAP Sensor for the N63 setup. But for the N63tu setup, only the MAP sensor was used as @bluelodge400 wrote.
That's why I have suspicion that the RaceChip setup is for the N63, not N63tu.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@opasha, I may have mentioned to you before. The BMS also uses the TMAP Sensor for the N63 setup. But for the N63tu setup, only the MAP sensor was used as @bluelodge400 wrote.
That's why I have suspicion that the RaceChip setup is for the N63, not N63tu.
WHOA, I was wrong! The pink wire (the other wire we never used) plugs right into the MAF sensors! . I'm going right back to get it installed. Man, I feel stupid. I knew I should have brought the other wire.
      09-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WHOA, I was wrong! The pink wire (the other wire we never used) plugs right into the MAF sensors! . I'm going right back to get it installed. Man, I feel stupid. I knew I should have brought the other wire.
Good luck. I hope it works and start
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

YOU FORGOT A WIRE!!!
Keep us posted. I hope it works this time.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

It worked. Installed with no errors. Super easy just like your install @bluelodge400. Thanks @r33. I can feel the 507 HP and 564 tq now. Wow. No more throttle delay in eco pro or comfort mode. I didn't drive on the highway or anywhere fast, but briefly putting the car into Sport mode made the car want to go fast. I'll report back after I drive it more this week.

Here's pics of how it was installed for the RaceChip TB Ultimate for 5.0i: I obviously zip tied the wires and the chip securely. This was just how I plugged in initially. I did the driver's side first, then the passenger side and then plugged into the chip all while the car was off. Started it up, and zero errors.

Last edited by opasha; 09-08-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@opasha, good to hear that. Glad it works out.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@opasha, good to hear that. Glad it works out.
Thanks, @r33 .
      09-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #17
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

Glad it worked!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Glad it worked!
Thank you, buddy. I'll keep your post up to date with mpg and what not so we can compare both tunes side by side if that helps .
      09-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Just reposting my observations. Everything works great as it should. The car is MUCH more powerful. However, the CEL (check engine light is back). I opened up the hood and made sure the MAF sensor wires were all secure/connected and they were. Nothing loose anywhere. I then proceeded to use ESYS to "Clear ALL DTCs" and then it went away...I turned off my car...waited a few minutes...turned it back on...the CEL returned. I then did the single Clear DTC option and this cleared it...turned off the car...turned it back on...CEL still there.

Hopefully, this corrects itself because the chip is working as it should with the factory RaceChip tune settings S1=B S2=1. I wonder what could be causing this. The CEL did not come up when I drove the first 20 minutes I got it installed.

Last edited by opasha; 09-08-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Just reposting my observations. Everything works great as it should. The car is MUCH more powerful. However, the CEL (check engine light is back). I opened up the hood and made sure the MAF sensor wires were all secure/connected and they were. Nothing loose anywhere. I then proceeded to use ESYS to "Clear ALL DTCs" and then it went away...I turned off my car...waited a few minutes...turned it back on...the CEL returned. I then did the single Clear DTC option and this cleared it...turned off the car...turned it back on...CEL still there.

Hopefully, this corrects itself because the chip is working as it should with the factory RaceChip tune settings S1=B S2=1. I wonder what could be causing this. The CEL did not come up when I drove the first 20 minutes I got it installed.
You should install the dummy plug included in the kit and drive the car for about 30 miles. This will clear the DTC through the BMW process which is better than clearing it with a reader. If it reappears on the same setting (I have a feeling it will), you should call RaceChip for their recommendation on a new setting. If it continues to happen, then you will need to set the chip to it's default (explained on page 10 of the manual) to see if it throws a code again. If it doesn't, then start working up from there.
      09-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
You should install the dummy plug included in the kit and drive the car for about 30 miles. This will clear the DTC through the BMW process which is better than clearing it with a reader. If it reappears on the same setting (I have a feeling it will), you should call RaceChip for their recommendation on a new setting. If it continues to happen, then you will need to set the chip to it's default (explained on page 10 of the manual) to see if it throws a code again. If it doesn't, then start working up from there.
Thanks for the information @42pilot. Isn't the dummy plug just the same as removing the tune altogether? So, technically as you said, the CEL will definitely return, right? I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what new settings can fix the CEL. I remember you saying you did multiple settings for yours until you found one that worked just right. You also mentioned you got the CEL a few times with different settings. I'm guessing the same is going on with mine.
      09-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #22
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Would this mod affect the warranty?
Appreciate 0