BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #45
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
The M Sport comes with the Sport Auto transmission, which gives you the shift paddles and launch control. Assuming it is the same or similar to the Sport Auto in my 335, it is a different transmission, more sport oriented. It's on par with Audi's DSG. Very smooth, quick shifting and never leaves you with a feeling the car can't find the right gear. On the F30, BMW's description mentions "fast synchronized shifting," but that verbiage isn't listed with the X5's sport auto (not sure that means it's any different).

The sport auto definitely seemed similarly fast and smooth when I drove the M Sport yesterday. Today's drive without the sport auto just wasn't a good comparison so I'm going back to the other dealership to try and drive a Lux (wasn't ready to drive yesterday) and M sport back-to-back and, more importantly, on some nice twisty back roads.
i don't think Launch Control is standard on M sport unless you add extras like Adaptive M Suspension etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #46
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Just curious the difference between a 35 M Sport compared to a 50 Xline in terms of shifting and speed. Guessing, the former quicker shifts and the later faster acceleration.

Nice that the F15 50 gains 45 hp over E70
I haven't driven the 50 but I would expect the sport auto bridges the gap from a 35 M sport to a 50 xline, compared to a 35 xline, but certainly not enough to overcome the extra power in the 50. Just my guess without having driven a 50..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #47
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
I haven't driven the 50 but I would expect the sport auto bridges the gap from a 35 M sport to a 50 xline, compared to a 35 xline, but certainly not enough to overcome the extra power in the 50. Just my guess without having driven a 50..
Thanks. To me my X3 35i accelerates pronto. I ordered the X5 35i F15 without driving the E70 35i. 2 days later I drove the X5 35i and found that acceleration from a dead stop lacking acceleration compared to my X3. As I did not want the drastic variation from pedal feel from X3 to X5, I changed my order to the 50.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #48
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
i don't think Launch Control is standard on M sport unless you add extras like Adaptive M Suspension etc.
Not sure, just going by what it says in the description of Sport Auto on bmwusa.com.

It does seem to have the same option code (S2TBA) as it does on the F30, so I would think that means it is the same thing. Oddly though, everything I've read says the F30 does NOT have launch control, yet it too has it in the description for Sport Auto....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #49
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. To me my X3 35i accelerates pronto. I ordered the X5 35i F15 without driving the E70 35i. 2 days later I drove the X5 35i and found that acceleration from a dead stop lacking acceleration compared to my X3. As I did not want the drastic variation from pedal feel from X3 to X5, I changed my order to the 50.
Ok, that I can compare. I need to drive the xline 35i again, but the M sport definitely felt faster to me than the E70 35i, which I also recently test drove. Same engine, slightly lighter (supposedly F15 is about 200lbs lighter?), and the sports auto. The '13 E70 had the same standard 8 speed auto the non M sport F15's get, so again, I'm pretty sure the Sport Auto is a noticeable improvement. I did think so when I drove the F15 35i xline today, but it just wasn't a good sample with the roads we drove, so I'm trying to be fair. I'm sure the 50 is just that much faster though, how can it not be..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #50
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Found this linked within the Official F15 thread, in reference to the Sports Auto:

Optimum acceleration: Eight-speed sports automatic with Launch Control.

The remarkably efficient, fast and comfortably shifting eight-speed automatic transmission is now available for BMW models across all series. If desired, it will be possible in future to underscore the sporting character of the automatic transmission even more intensively. From the summer of 2013, the optional leather sports steering wheel with shift paddles will be available for the luxury sedans of the 7 Series. Using this feature, the driver can manually adjust the drive settings without having to take his/her hands off the steering wheel.

Moreover, the eight-speed sports automatic transmission available for the BMW 1 Series, the BMW 3 Series and the BMW 6 Series will be complemented by the new Launch Control function. This feature permits acceleration with optimised traction and maximum dynamics from a standstill – a function that was previously only available in a comparable version for BMW M automobiles. In order to use Launch Control, the driver has to activate the DTC mode of the driving stability control function DSC, shift the gear selection lever to the position S, depress the brake pedal firmly and simultaneously press the accelerator pedal all the way down. After the brake pedal has been released, the vehicle accelerates whilst avoiding drive slip, consequently making highest possible use of engine power. The acceleration process continues for as long as the driver depresses the accelerator pedal. The equipment range for the sports automatic transmission also includes shift paddles on the steering wheel, a specific gear selector switch and exceptionally dynamic gear-change characteristics that also ensure supreme driving performance during short bursts of speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #51
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Found this linked within the Official F15 thread, in reference to the Sports Auto:

Optimum acceleration: Eight-speed sports automatic with Launch Control.

The remarkably efficient, fast and comfortably shifting eight-speed automatic transmission is now available for BMW models across all series. If desired, it will be possible in future to underscore the sporting character of the automatic transmission even more intensively. From the summer of 2013, the optional leather sports steering wheel with shift paddles will be available for the luxury sedans of the 7 Series. Using this feature, the driver can manually adjust the drive settings without having to take his/her hands off the steering wheel.

Moreover, the eight-speed sports automatic transmission available for the BMW 1 Series, the BMW 3 Series and the BMW 6 Series will be complemented by the new Launch Control function. This feature permits acceleration with optimised traction and maximum dynamics from a standstill – a function that was previously only available in a comparable version for BMW M automobiles. In order to use Launch Control, the driver has to activate the DTC mode of the driving stability control function DSC, shift the gear selection lever to the position S, depress the brake pedal firmly and simultaneously press the accelerator pedal all the way down. After the brake pedal has been released, the vehicle accelerates whilst avoiding drive slip, consequently making highest possible use of engine power. The acceleration process continues for as long as the driver depresses the accelerator pedal. The equipment range for the sports automatic transmission also includes shift paddles on the steering wheel, a specific gear selector switch and exceptionally dynamic gear-change characteristics that also ensure supreme driving performance during short bursts of speed.
The basic M sport at $4600 doesn't offer launch control.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #52
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

BMW Announces Pricing for All-New X5 Sports Activity Vehicle
The vehicle that launched an entire segment set to enter its 3rd generation priced from $53,725
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – June 24th, 2013
....... BMW EfficientDynamics: eight-speed automatic and ECO PRO mode with new functions.
All models in the new BMW X5 lineup feature an eight-speed automatic transmission, whose high internal efficiency, precision and short shift times help to improve both efficiency and responsiveness. The optional eight-speed sport automatic transmission, offers a new “launch control” function, a high-precision traction control system which allows engine power to be translated as efficiently as possible into road speed when accelerating from a standstill.
http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsreleas...?&id=1701&mid=

The above reference to launch control(LC) is also duplicated in the Sept 3, BMW Canada Corporate Communication release, which is generally the US product and modified for Canadian differences. If LC is not listed in order/product guide ask for a ZSP Special Order ( adds $400). For example 8TH Speed Limit Info is not available in Canada for F15 but I was able to Special Order that item.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #53
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5
The basic M sport at $4600 doesn't offer launch control.
The Sport Auto comes with the $4600 M sport package. Everything I'm finding says launch control is part of the sports auto. None of the other upgrades (DHP, etc) have anything to do with the transmission.

Personally, I don't really care. It's an SUV for my wife and family. While I want it to be fun to drive, I am not a boy racer that needs to make sure it leaves a traffic light as quickly as humanly possible. It's not something I would ever use, I'm just looking for the differences between the standard 8SPD and the Sport Auto, and this appears to be one of them, along with shorter shift times, paddle shifters, and a nicer, shorter shift knob. The shift times and feel of the transmission (feels smoother to me) are all I actually cared about, though the sport shift knob is nicer too.

Last edited by chrisny; 10-16-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #54
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
The Sport Auto comes with the $4600 M sport package. Everything I'm finding says launch control is part of the sports auto. None of the other upgrades (DHP, etc) have anything to do with the transmission.
Agree. Unless shown otherwise my understanding is that LC is included with just having the sport auto.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #55
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post
attached are a couple pics of a Black Sapphire Metalic X-Line w/ 20in wheels and a Carbon Black M sport with 19in (although still had its protective wrappings).

I am 50/50 on the msport bumper since the black plastic pieces look pretty bad in the air intakes - hoping these are easily swappable to something with a bit more "brute" also the msport with the 19s just doesn't look right - the stance of the xline with 20s dominated the msport - glad I ordered my msport with 20s!
From these pics, the 20's on the xline look pretty dark, more of a graphite than silver. Is that accurate or did they look closer to the silver of the m sport wheels in person?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #56
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Quote:
From these pics, the 20's on the xline look pretty dark, more of a graphite than silver. Is that accurate or did they look closer to the silver of the m sport wheels in person?
Yep - the 20s are a bit darker - graphite sounds right.
to you other note about the msport being "taller" - I actually parked the msport next to the XLine per the CAs request, but there was a curb in my spot, so the msport is about a foot or two closer to the camera in the pic where you see both vehicles.

Again - I ended up liking the look of the xline better than the msport but I think I was swayed due to the 20in vs 19in wheels, and the fact that the msport still had all the wrappings on it and it. The front air vents don't look as good as say the current x5 m, or the eurospec xm50d - but hoping those can be changed. opted to purchase vs lease so we can make modifications without concern - and probably switch to NON-RFTs after the first set of tires are done.

but - I love the msport steering wheel and the sport tranny/paddles. will most likely be turning in my 335is lease and getting a basic commuter car for a couple years (m4 in 2016 ) so during the 2year hiatus - wanted to ensure the UTILITY vehicle had enough sport in it. Maybe should have cancelled the B&O and opted for the dynamic handling package - but wanted the adaptive msport suspension which we couldn't combine with the dynamic handling package. oh the joys of ordering first...

first time we've ever ordered a car before it was launched, and only our 2nd *NEW* BMW (had purchased an 2000 328ci e46 and the addiction was born)

BTW - they BMW should open a counseling hotline for X5 50i pre-order customers to call in while we continue to wait for BMW to release our cars - mine has been at the VPC since 9/27 and latest info from dealership is that 50i models wont be released till November!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #57
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane
Yep - the 20s are a bit darker - graphite sounds right.
to you other note about the msport being "taller" - I actually parked the msport next to the XLine per the CAs request, but there was a curb in my spot, so the msport is about a foot or two closer to the camera in the pic where you see both vehicles.
Thanks. I thought from other pics they were darker than typical BMW silver wheels, but still looked silver. Your pics seem more true to life and pretty gray/graphite, not sure I like that against a black car, which my wife is dying to get..

And I agree, it should not be this painful to figure out the different options and nor should the ordering (and waiting!) process..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #58
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post
BTW - they BMW should open a counseling hotline for X5 50i pre-order customers to call in while we continue to wait for BMW to release our cars - mine has been at the VPC since 9/27 and latest info from dealership is that 50i models wont be released till November!
Same place for me as mine has been at the VPC since 10/1. I don't mind waiting, I would just like a date. Tell me 11/11 and I can just chill until that time, but having no idea is painful. Also, I know it is an SAV / SUV, but for some reason I don't like the idea of it just sitting in a parking lot for a month+ before I can pick it up.

I totally need that counseling number.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #59
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AresM3 View Post
Same place for me as mine has been at the VPC since 10/1. I don't mind waiting, I would just like a date. Tell me 11/11 and I can just chill until that time, but having no idea is painful. Also, I know it is an SAV / SUV, but for some reason I don't like the idea of it just sitting in a parking lot for a month+ before I can pick it up.

I totally need that counseling number.
Absolutely agree. I also wouldn't want mine just sitting for a month. Hope you get some news soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #60
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Absolutely agree. I also wouldn't want mine just sitting for a month. Hope you get some news soon.
Glad i'm not the only crazy one - just give us a date and for those that need to book flights, so we don't get screwed.

At least know I know I have work travel the week of 11/11 - so I guess even if the holds are released, wont be able to schedule a pick up until the following week - but am looking forward to a beautiful fall drive back up to DC (and will prob drive on the tail of the dragon too!)

But like you said - I just want to know when vs this limbo BS
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #61
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Blindly we order the product unseen.
Strangely a specific question pointed directly at BMW is sometimes vaguely answered upon which we communicate with complete strangers assisting each other with sharing of learned information.
Exactly when the product arrives is a moving target.
Certainty is that they will have taken my money.
Sadly this is the process.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #62
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Certainty is that they will have taken my money.
Well said!!

I haven't put our order in yet, probably tomorrow. But I dealt with similar agony when I ordered my F30 just about this time last year and didn't get it until January. I was used to having my cars go into production within a few weeks, it took way longer and about 3 months to get it (was expecting 2). I'm getting the feeling this will be no better so maybe my low expectations will make it less painful. Nah, probably not!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #63
chiefmike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i - 2014 X5 35i

Ordered my X5 on 9/11/13, it's at the dealer now. Will pick it up Friday. Not to bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #64
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
The M Sport comes with the Sport Auto transmission, which gives you the shift paddles and launch control. Assuming it is the same or similar to the Sport Auto in my 335, it is a different transmission, more sport oriented. It's on par with Audi's DSG. Very smooth, quick shifting and never leaves you with a feeling the car can't find the right gear. On the F30, BMW's description mentions "fast synchronized shifting," but that verbiage isn't listed with the X5's sport auto (not sure that means it's any different).
It's the same transmission, the ZF 8HP45 (35i) or 8HP70 (50i) just different programming.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #65
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Quote:
It's the same transmission, the ZF 8HP45 (35i) or 8HP70 (50i) just different programming.
Makes sense. Programmed for quicker shifts than the standard 8SPD, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #66
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Makes sense. Programmed for quicker shifts than the standard 8SPD, right?
That and probably some other changes, like shift points and also as you pointed out before, launch control integrated in.
Appreciate 0