BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

LED headlight beam pattern

Didn't want to hijack the other thread regarding thin shadows w/ the LED headlights, so asking here.

Drove the X5 at night for the first time tonight and was taken aback at how bad the beam pattern was with the LED headlights so am posting pics to see if it's normal or not. If it is, then it's probably due to the fact that the headlights, albeit advanced via use of LEDs, still rely on reflectors vs projectors, which provided an extremely sharp cutoff pattern with the classic stair-step from driver's side to passenger side.

Feedback much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Yeah, it appears to be normal. Your pic is exactly like @SUV55 because you both took your pictures outside while everyone else took their pics inside the car so they didnt see the lower shadow. This is where the LED fogs are useful to allow that area to fill up and assist in the peripheral vision. The LED technology is more for depth it seems. That's why Bi-Xenon is better for closer vision as it spreads, but it can't compete with the depth that the LEDs give, which allows you to see further. This can all be rectified slightly for both LED and Bi-xenon by coding Variable Light Distribution by allowing the low beams to act smarter in your different driving situations.
      11-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Yeah, it appears to be normal. Your pic is exactly like @SUV55 because you both took your pictures outside while everyone else took their pics inside the car so they didnt see the lower shadow. This is where the LED fogs are useful to allow that area to fill up and assist in the peripheral vision. The LED technology is more for depth it seems. That's why Bi-Xenon is better for closer vision as it spreads, but it can't compete with the depth that the LEDs give, which allows you to see further. This can all be rectified slightly for both LED and Bi-xenon by coding Variable Light Distribution by allowing the low beams to act smarter in your different driving situations.
What exactly does Variable Light Distribution do? Where can I read a good technical discussion on it?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
What exactly does Variable Light Distribution do? Where can I read a good technical discussion on it?
Here you go : http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=111
      11-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Your beam pattern looks about right, I also complained about the way it looked on day 1. It looks really nice, white, bright but it is lacking that nice straight beam that I had in my E70. It also did not auto level (vertically) when I am driving and I can see it blinding other drivers in bumpy roads, my E70 did not do that. No matter how bumpy the road was, it always pointed downwards. E70 xenons remained level even with the acceleration nose-up, but with LEDs, they rise up and I can see it reflect back front vehicle's mirror.

I have been trying to find someone who coded VLD and took pictures before and after to see what is the main difference, no luck so far.
      11-25-2014, 01:11 AM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Distant reflection off the wall,

Close, coming down a ramp,
      11-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Doanster
Major
Rep

Thanks for the fast response as usual opasha. HIDs illuminate the road light years ahead of halogens while having zero glare/dazzle issues (assuming they're aimed correctly). I'm surprised BMW would go with LEDs for extra down-road illumination at the cost of potential glare/dazzle.
If you search for the Acura "jewel eye" LED headlights, you'll see that the cutoff is still razor sharp because of the glass vs reflector.
Not a big deal as the illumination is still great, just an OCD thing for me I guess.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
Doanster
Major
Rep

Thanks for the pics, hyde. Def confirms it's the intended pattern. Those two humps on the passenger side are what I immediately noticed tonight.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:57 AM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Thanks for the fast response as usual opasha. HIDs illuminate the road light years ahead of halogens while having zero glare/dazzle issues (assuming they're aimed correctly). I'm surprised BMW would go with LEDs for extra down-road illumination at the cost of potential glare/dazzle.
If you search for the Acura "jewel eye" LED headlights, you'll see that the cutoff is still razor sharp because of the glass vs reflector.
Not a big deal as the illumination is still great, just an OCD thing for me I guess.
Mercedes E-Class and S-class have the same LED cutoff that you mention from the Acura jewel LEDs. Our family friend was driving in front of us in his new E350, and the way his LEDs were lighting up the road in low and high beam was very bright/linear without any inconsistencies. Obviously, it's a car so it's lower to the ground. I think this is why Variable Light Distribution coding helps. When you guys get a chance, just code this before you do any fdl coding within BDC_Body. You'll notice immediately the movement of your low beams is very apparent as you turn - it's as if it predicts the turning angles better even to the left and will not blind people. When you hit the high beam, you'll see the lights go from the wide angle and merge together and up. I think that's really the best and only way I can explain the movement at slow speeds in a pitch black neighborhood for my Bi-Xenons with VLD coding enabled.

@hyde, just code it. You have nothing to lose if you haven't coded much in BDC_Body yet. You can easily change it back. FA/VO Coding is probably the easiest coding to do. It takes literally 3-5 minutes.
      11-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

I think we need a technical analysis table xenons vs led vs laser

Criteria would be
Intensity
Kelvin
Light pattern distribution
Bulb/unit life
Power consumption
Beam adaptability/variation
Advantages
Disadvantages
      11-25-2014, 02:16 AM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
I think we need a technical analysis table xenons vs led vs laser

Criteria would be
Intensity
Kelvin
Light pattern distribution
Bulb/unit life
Power consumption
Beam adaptability/variation
Advantages
Disadvantages
That would be helpful. In the meantime, I found these two articles:

1) http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/h...v-led-v-laser/

2) http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ba...led-26530.html
      11-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
Doanster
Major
Rep

Laser notwithstanding, the progression from halogen to HID to LED boils down to three factors IMO. Longevity, intensity, and output.
Halogens burn out quickly, have mediocre output, and run hot/use lots of power. HIDs have great bulb life, great intensity, and a bit less power, but still require expensive ballasts that do run hot. LEDs are the best of all worlds, but still need some refinement.
      11-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

The pattern is normal for US cars. It conforms to US regulations.

When I'm back in SF I'll take a picture of my lights - they're the ECE version, with a different pattern.
      11-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
The pattern is normal for US cars. It conforms to US regulations.

When I'm back in SF I'll take a picture of my lights - they're the ECE version, with a different pattern.
What is ECE?
      11-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde
What is ECE?
Economic Commission for Europe.
For automotive regs, they mandate things like the beam pattern, auto-leveling functions, etc. Always been stricter compared to US DOT it seems. Things like HID "upgrades" are not allowed and it's enforced pretty heavily IIRC.
      11-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #16
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

We just traded 2014 MDX for our X5. MDX (jewel eye) without a doubt had sharper cutoff and in fact much brighter than X5 LEDs (had people high beaming us).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:42 PM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Economic Commission for Europe.
For automotive regs, they mandate things like the beam pattern, auto-leveling functions, etc. Always been stricter compared to US DOT it seems. Things like HID "upgrades" are not allowed and it's enforced pretty heavily IIRC.
I wish these were heavily regulated in USA too, there are so many idiots out there just slapping HIDs or full LED headlights (I was in front of a dude on the highway today with what looked like one of those 50 LED flashlights that resemble shower head as his headlights) and blinding everyone, some of those are not even aimed properly with such a terrible spread, I try to turn on my high beams and let them have a taste of their own medicine (if not worse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
We just traded 2014 MDX for our X5. MDX (jewel eye) without a doubt had sharper cutoff and in fact much brighter than X5 LEDs (had people high beaming us).

Hmm, couple of times I got high-beamed by others in my LED's, of course when I high beam them back they realize I did not have my highs running at the time.. I think LEDs are going a lot deeper and I find them to be really bright, just right brightness for most road conditions.

I just high beamed across east river to roosevelt island today, I could clearly see the trees and car reflectors across the water. LED's are amazingly bright. I think we need to code them and see how well they work with VLD.