BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Front Plate Mount Options?

Don't want to get into a debate regarding yea or nay on front plate usage, but for those who didn't go w/ the stock mount, what are you using? I want to mount the plate as low as possible, down by the lower grille mesh. I do not like the off-center look of the gominigo/tow-hook holders. I currently use the mount from Skene Design on my other car and like it, but wanted to see if there were alternative options for the X5.
Found one thread regarding the hideaway plate, but that's gimmicky IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I assume you don't want a tow-hook mount? Just looking for something low, centered?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

This might help: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=578541

Some info discussed here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1050668
      11-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Hokie 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

I'm using the Skene design on my M-Sport X5 as well as my 991 911 C2S. Think it looks great, very low profile and no visible holes.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
Doanster
Major
Rep

Looks like Skene it is then. Maybe I'll get a repeat customer discount.
      11-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Just curious.
What is the reason you don't want to drill but still have front plate in center position? Do you plan to remove the plate time to time?

For me, it's all or nothing, if I am going to be displaying a plate up front, I rather have it securely and properly installed with a bumper mounted hardware which also serves as extended bumper, whereas if you double park with Skene it looks like those bars can actually get pushed into your bumper if someone bumps while parallel parking in front of you.
      11-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde
...which also serves as extended bumper, whereas if you double park with Skene it looks like those bars can actually get pushed into your bumper if someone bumps while parallel parking in front of you.
I want the plate to be as unobtrusive/minimalistic as possible. Good point about the factory mount being an extension/secondary bumper, but I don't allow people to double park on me, i.e. I park well away from others or will pass on a spot if I think a car could try to squeeze in front of me.
Would obviously go without if I could, but meter enforcers are allowed to write tickets as they see cars without front plates so it's almost guaranteed a ticket will be on the windshield when parking downtown.
      11-26-2014, 12:24 AM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
I want the plate to be as unobtrusive/minimalistic as possible. Good point about the factory mount being an extension/secondary bumper, but I don't allow people to double park on me, i.e. I park well away from others or will pass on a spot if I think a car could try to squeeze in front of me.
Would obviously go without if I could, but meter enforcers are allowed to write tickets as they see cars without front plates so it's almost guaranteed a ticket will be on the windshield when parking downtown.
It's great if you have the luxury to pass on a spot, we are lucky here in the city if we ever find a spot that's couple of inches larger than our vehicles, so bumping other cars or other cars bumping you while getting in and out of a spot in front of you is really unavoidable, of course I am not talking about idiots who move forwards and reverse in two car length spaces and still end up bumping you when getting in, or the idiots who keep their tow hitch mounted/uncovered and simply dent your bumper without any respect or regard to others. I just want to remove the hitch and smash it through their window.. Sorry-- I got carried away..
      11-26-2014, 12:27 AM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
It's great if you have the luxury to pass on a spot, we are lucky here in the city if we ever find a spot that's couple of inches larger than our vehicles, so bumping other cars or other cars bumping you while getting in and out of a spot in front of you is really unavoidable, of course I am not talking about idiots who move forwards and reverse in two car length spaces and still end up bumping you when getting in, or the idiots who keep their tow hitch mounted/uncovered and simply dent your bumper without any respect or regard to others. I just want to remove the hitch and smash it through their window.. Sorry-- I got carried away..
SOLUTION: BLACK VUE!!

or turn it into a G-Wagon with metal bars on the bumpers .
      11-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #10
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
If you have ACC, it looks like Skene won't work. It looks to interfere with the radar located under the plate. I'd double check before ordering.

All of these look like they protrude in and also cause the plate to block the ACC radar. http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Choose.shtml

Last edited by MattBianco; 11-26-2014 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #11
Doanster
Major
Rep

Thanks for the reminder. Double checked for PDC sensors as I was test fitting the dealer paper plate and didn't see anything. I don't have ACC...
      11-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I'm trying to decide on plate mout options too. I was going to do an under bumper mount until I quickly found out that was where my ACC radar would be. Hey, if I find ACC useless, the ACC radar would the Perfect place to mount a black plate.

I've gone front-plateless for 12y; I may just continue to push my luck.
Appreciate 0