BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Chicago Courtesy Delivery

Has anyone done a courtesy delivery in Chicago area. I am ready to place my order from Atlanta but my selling dealer has not been able to find one willing to do CD. The shipping cost is $850.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I've run in to this before with no real satisfactory resolution. I don't know why dealers are so against this practice considering they are all part of the same brand "family".

Good luck. I'd give NA a call and see if they can help nudge some people.
      11-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

Did you try same build order cost from a local dealer?

Seems like a lot of brain damage for nothing, unless there is some magic going on.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I've run in to this before with no real satisfactory resolution. I don't know why dealers are so against this practice considering they are all part of the same brand "family".

Good luck. I'd give NA a call and see if they can help nudge some people.
Dealers are against it because its like stealing business from them.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
Did you try same build order cost from a local dealer?

Seems like a lot of brain damage for nothing, unless there is some magic going on.
Yes I did. $2500 less from Atlanta
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspdr View Post
Dealers are against it because its like stealing business from them.
I don't see it that way. They make more from service and long term care than they do on an initial purchase. Make a customer happy and they'll return.

In my case, my truck came from my long time dealer in the DC area. Courtesy delivery was denied by one in the SF Bay Area. I go out of my way to avoid them now.
      11-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I don't see it that way. They make more from service and long term care than they do on an initial purchase. Make a customer happy and they'll return.

In my case, my truck came from my long time dealer in the DC area. Courtesy delivery was denied by one in the SF Bay Area. I go out of my way to avoid them now.
+1. More over, you would think, and I don't know if they do or don't, but you would think the 2 dealerships would work something out.. share the profit just like the buyer's and seller's real estate agents split commissions. They both stand to lose business if the buyer isn't willing to pay for the shipping or go to Atlanta. If they can't just agree to do it as a courtesy (never know when the Chicago dealer may need that same courtesy), do it for a $250 fee or something….
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
+1. More over, you would think, and I don't know if they do or don't, but you would think the 2 dealerships would work something out.. share the profit just like the buyer's and seller's real estate agents split commissions. They both stand to lose business if the buyer isn't willing to pay for the shipping or go to Atlanta. If they can't just agree to do it as a courtesy (never know when the Chicago dealer may need that same courtesy), do it for a $250 fee or something….
My selling dealer has to pay dealer in Chicago $250 up to $1000, not free, I was told. Also my selling dealer said most of them don't do it because its like I mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Yes I did. $2500 less from Atlanta
Your dealer in Chicago isn't willing to come closer to your target price? At least enough to strike a balance between convenience an price.

I've used the same CA for my last 4 cars. I pay him more than I would to a remote dealer, but less than he would normally go for. We basically split the profit which I think is fair. Everyone has to make a living. Plus, I'm high maintenance so the price of my long-term 'relationship' with my CA and the sales side of the dealership in general is worth it to me.

Also, if something goes wrong with the delivery of your car (like my last one), using your local dealer can be priceless (well, not really, but worth a lot).
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Your dealer in Chicago isn't willing to come closer to your target price? At least enough to strike a balance between convenience an price.

I've used the same CA for my last 4 cars. I pay him more than I would to a remote dealer, but less than he would normally go for. We basically split the profit which I think is fair. Everyone has to make a living. Plus, I'm high maintenance so the price of my long-term 'relationship' with my CA and the sales side of the dealership in general is worth it to me.

Also, if something goes wrong with the delivery of your car (like my last one), using your local dealer can be priceless (well, not really, but worth a lot).
Got $3500 off from MSRP in Chicago. $5990 from Atlanta
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Got $3500 off from MSRP in Chicago. $5990 from Atlanta
So, if you end up having to pay shipping, you're only talking about a net difference of about $1500, correct? If it's that close, I would push your local CA to at least meet you in the middle. I agree with Barb, the relationship is worth something.. if you have issues, the Chicago dealer would be more likely to help you rather than telling you "go talk to your friend in Atlanta " Granted, service and sales are two different animals, maybe they'll help you for being a loyal service customer, because it's the right thing to do, or because they want your next sale .. but sometimes these things need support from the GM or owner of the dealership. Buying the car in Atlanta, I would think, makes the Chicago dealership less likely to pick that battle with BMW. How much less depends on the person.

So to me, you just have to decide how much savings is enough to potentially miss out on establishing that relationship. I'll also add though, sometimes these "relationships" also prove useless… again, depends on the person/people.

Last edited by chrisny; 11-26-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Can Courtesy delivery be setup anytime during the production or it has to be setup before order is submitted to factory?

My car is at finishing touches as per online tracking. One of the dealer close to my location is looking if he would be able to do that. Selling dealer is in NY.

Thanks for your advice,
Appreciate 0