09-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05

Driver Assistance and Assistance Plus

Hello All,

I am a newbie here, been a lurker but finally got a X5D last week and I have a question regarding Driver Assistance and Assistance Plus. I thought that once you have that option, Active Cruise control is part of the package. I don't see it, looked at my sticker and it is not mentioned there. Asked the dealer where I got it from and they will get back to me. Configurator on BMW site has been change to 2015. I tried searching here and I did not see it. Sorry if this has been discussed before. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolF15D2014 View Post
Hello All,

I am a newbie here, been a lurker but finally got a X5D last week and I have a question regarding Driver Assistance and Assistance Plus. I thought that once you have that option, Active Cruise control is part of the package. I don't see it, looked at my sticker and it is not mentioned there. Asked the dealer where I got it from and they will get back to me. Configurator on BMW site has been change to 2015. I tried searching here and I did not see it. Sorry if this has been discussed before. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forums. Active Cruise Control is still optional w/ DA Plus. It's not automatic. If you get DA Plus, then ACC is just a little cheaper than if you buy it as a standalone option.
      09-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
BMWF30335i
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Active Cruise Control is only available as an option and not included in any package. It is an extra $1200 if you get the Driver Assistance Plus and $1900 as a single option w/out Driver Assistance Plus
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
PepperJack
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 5.0

You actually need to select 3 options to get Driver Assistance Plus and ACC Stop and Go.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

ACC comes under Driver Assistance Plus and it doesn't come with DA plus. You have to select it like a 3rd option. This is same on both 14 and 15 models.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
Welcome to the forums. Active Cruise Control is still optional w/ DA Plus. It's not automatic. If you get DA Plus, then ACC is just a little cheaper than if you buy it as a standalone option.
Hi,
Looking at the packages,

Do you still get those listed options (Active Blind Spot Detection, Surround View, Speed Limit Info, Driver Assistance Package) even if you don't choose "ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant"?

This is confusing. I don't want to order Driver Assistance Plus assuming it includes all that's listed above, only to find out they are part of "ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant"

PS: I know you get Rear view camera and HUD since Driver Assistance Plus requires Driver Assistance Package.

Edit: Sorry, looks like you get them, I just went into Options and saw that Camera/Surround View is selected automatically now.
So $1150 for Camera/Surround View, which means we are paying $2150 for Head-up Display, Active Driving Assistant , Blind Spot, Speed Limit Info.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Edit: Sorry, looks like you get them, I just went into Options and saw that Camera/Surround View is selected automatically now.
So $1150 for Camera/Surround View, which means we are paying $2150 for Head-up Display, Active Driving Assistant , Blind Spot, Speed Limit Info.
Looks like you caught the answer there Yep, you do get them even without ACC Stop & Go checked. Congrats.
      09-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like you caught the answer there Yep, you do get them even without ACC Stop & Go checked. Congrats.
Thanks, what color is your X5? Imperial blue?
Also one correction to above, $2150 for Head-up Display,[strike] Active Driving Assistant[/strike] , Blind Spot, Speed Limit Info.

I can't tell if HUD & Blind Spot is worth $2150..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, what color is your X5? Imperial blue?
Also one correction to above, $2150 for Head-up Display,[strike] Active Driving Assistant[/strike] , Blind Spot, Speed Limit Info.

I can't tell if HUD & Blind Spot is worth $2150..
Yeah, mine is the Imperial Blue. Love it.

Should note that "Active Driving Assistant" also includes frontal collision warning, pedestrian warning and lane departure warning, in addition to blind spot and speed limit info. They don't list those on the configurator, but those are included with that part of the DA Plus pkg. Basically, the Active Driving Assistant is the base version of the technology safety features.

Hard to say if it's worth the cost. I've had mine for about 3 weeks, and I've used several of the safety features more than once already. Could I live without them? Yes, but they're nice features to have. I would have gotten the surround camera option regardless, so by the time you add up the DA and surround view option, the remaining assistance features weren't really much add'l cost.
      09-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, mine is the Imperial Blue. Love it.

Should note that "Active Driving Assistant" also includes frontal collision warning, pedestrian warning and lane departure warning, in addition to blind spot and speed limit info. They don't list those on the configurator, but those are included with that part of the DA Plus pkg. Basically, the Active Driving Assistant is the base version of the technology safety features.

Hard to say if it's worth the cost. I've had mine for about 3 weeks, and I've used several of the safety features more than once already. Could I live without them? Yes, but they're nice features to have. I would have gotten the surround camera option regardless, so by the time you add up the DA and surround view option, the remaining assistance features weren't really much add'l cost.
Yep, Surround View (and the required Rear Cam) is a must, no matter what I am getting those. I am not familiar with pedestrian warning at all, must look into that now, however the difference is 2150 like I said.

PS: Would you mind posting your pictures here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1032461 If you posted them elsewhere, I can go check that thread as well. I am really partial to imperial blue, having had the deep sea blue for 3 years on my current E70.

EDIT: **I thought I posted this, and I thought that's why you posted the pictures in that thread, looks like this post was just still in draft as I never submitted. You are awesome for posting the pictures in the other thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #11
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hey don't list those on the configurator, but those are included with that part of the DA Plus pkg.
Found it here:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...35iSafety.aspx

Drive more confidently with the camera-based Active Driving Assistant. The BMW X5 includes Lane Departure Warning, which alerts you when you drift lanes with a visible signal and steering wheel vibration. Additionally, Pedestrian and Collision Warning detects hazards on a collision course with the vehicle, and depending on driving conditions, initiates the braking system to reduce vehicle speed and prevent critical situations before they occur.

And here, please wait for the Holy S**t moment.. I seriously thought he was going to hit that wagon.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #12
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Found it here:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...35iSafety.aspx

Drive more confidently with the camera-based Active Driving Assistant. The BMW X5 includes Lane Departure Warning, which alerts you when you drift lanes with a visible signal and steering wheel vibration. Additionally, Pedestrian and Collision Warning detects hazards on a collision course with the vehicle, and depending on driving conditions, initiates the braking system to reduce vehicle speed and prevent critical situations before they occur.

And here, please wait for the Holy S**t moment.. I seriously thought he was going to hit that wagon.

great video demostration, i ask my self if i only have collision warning, do the truck brake it self? or i need to have acc?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuKEnFoLdMX View Post
great video demostration, i ask my self if i only have collision warning, do the truck brake it self? or i need to have acc?
There are two types of collision warning systems, both of which do provide braking. If you have ACC, then it is full collision warning with braking, and it is good at basically all speeds. It uses both the camera system and the radar unit from the ACC, so it can be used at higher speeds. If you do not have ACC, then it is what they term "collision warning with city braking". This will still brake, but because it only uses the camera system, it will only provide braking at lower, city speeds. Up to 35mph, according to the owner's manual.
      09-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #14
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

I read that BMWs in some regions have Attention Assist as part of Drivers Assist (+) package. AA analyzes the driving and warns the driver if it appears he/she is getting tired/sleepy. Does the US version have this or is it integrated into the lane change w/o a blinker warning?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
I read that BMWs in some regions have Attention Assist as part of Drivers Assist (+) package. AA analyzes the driving and warns the driver if it appears he/she is getting tired/sleepy. Does the US version have this or is it integrated into the lane change w/o a blinker warning?
I was driving a loaner from Benz as other was in the shop, and a warning came and said to pull over and take a break, as if I was sleepy. Admittedly, I was not driving well.

It would be nice if Attention Assist could be unlocked.
      09-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
The owner's manual does list it under Active Protection under the Safety section. It's not described as part of the lane change or anything of that nature. It seems to just be native to the vehicle, not an option, but as with some BMW features, it's a little hard to tell.

The only place I find it described on the BMW USA website is on the feature listings for the 6 & 7 series, so I'm inclined to think we don't have it in the US X5. Perhaps it's something that can be coded.
      09-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

David, that's where I read it as well. It would be great if it could be coded.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
monkray
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 30d M Sport

Comments made in the forum seem to confirm what the EU diplomatic price lists say:

5AS Driving Assistant (which is now standard and has lane departure warning) has "Person warning with light city braking function. Approach control warning with light City braking function. Person warning and Approach control warning warn and brake in a speed range from approx. 10 km/h to 60 km/h. Approach control warning also warns of potential collision with a vehicle ahead at higher speeds, with preconditioning of the brakes for faster brake response and shorter braking distances."

With the option 5AT Driving Assistant Plus which adds the Active Cruise Control is says "Including Active Full Braking and slowing to defined speed if there is an acute risk of collision. In addition to vehicles driving ahead, stopped vehicles can also be detected, automatic light braking of the vehicle if there is a risk of collision".

With the option 5AL Active Protection "safety package for initiating protective measures for the occupants if an accident situation is imminent: belt tensioning, windows are closed, sliding sunroof is closed (if fitted), backrests of front passenger seat are positioned (depending on options fitted), automatic braking after crash. Including Attentiveness assistant"

So in a nutshell, you seem to get collision warning as standard, need the 5AT (ACC) option for full automatic braking and the 5AL option for the coffee break warnings. No sure how all this squares with the option packages in the US and other countries....

Quote:
There are two types of collision warning systems, both of which do provide braking. If you have ACC, then it is full collision warning with braking, and it is good at basically all speeds. It uses both the camera system and the radar unit from the ACC, so it can be used at higher speeds. If you do not have ACC, then it is what they term "collision warning with city braking". This will still brake, but because it only uses the camera system, it will only provide braking at lower, city speeds. Up to 35mph, according to the owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
monkray
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 30d M Sport

P.S. Here is a link to the price list I refer to in my previous post. It is a little bit out of date but I found it to be the clearest description of the X5 options that I have ever found and helped me work out what was included and what was not!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf X5.pdf (276.6 KB, 591 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The video I posted above did not seem to have ACC enabled (or installed), or maybe it just did not indicate it on the dash, but I always thought you'd get those lines to appear on the dash if ACC was on, however he was going 40mph (41 to be exact) when the vehicle stopped or applied brakes. I am a bit curious, though.. How far in advance does it start braking? Most people tailgate in the city and I usually have to watch may back most of the time to avoid getting rear ended, so will this be an issue if the vehicle suddenly applies brakes earlier?

Also, we are certain that with or without ACC but with DAP we will get auto-brake (brake assist) and warning signals, and those can be turned off, right? I wonder if that's what it was on the X5 that I test drove, because suddenly the front camera came on the screen when I came too close to the truck in front of me. I really hope it doesn't automatically do that, enabling park distance without putting the gear in Reverse. (many people complained about it not coming on automatically)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #21
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

The ACC demo is the first part of the clip with the car slowing and resuming speed. The collision avoidance demo was impressive but I think the speed was 41kph and the manual says the ACC equipped version of collision avoidance will be able to stop the vehicle at up to 35 mph. I have had the red warning and audible alarm occur once but I wasn't brave enough to let the car finish the job and hit the brakes myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
nameisjae1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 M sports

DA/DA plus

All, I live in Seoul with a population of 22 million. I did not get the ACC option on mind but the auto braking...at least it slows down significantly when a pedestrian pops out of nowhere. The first time this happened, it scared the shit out of me....LOL.

I haven't had personal experience with collusion warning where it slow down but I did not want to trust that system and leave it to BMW to brake for me. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0