BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Active Steering

Am about to order an X5 and am quite dissapointed at the steering comments. Perhaps with option active steering it will be somewhat better (still artificial, but better than the normal one). Having read all the reviews even the M50d has poor steering feel (M50d is the only one that comes with M-servotronic, or smthg like that). Cars equipped with dynamic package also have poor reviews on the steering feel. It is a shame, I will still order it and am no hater, but it is a shame that after the whole F10 story BMW stilll did not fix this from the beginning. So, to conclude, if anyone out there has test driven one or has a review of one with active steering option (not an option on 50d), please post. Am configuring the car quite soon and need to know. Will not jump ship to RRS because it is not as good quality/reliability/infotainment system is crap or Porsche Cayenne because its maintenance and options are too expensive (or are they? ).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
BMW-GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 5.0i

I think you mean the adaptive dynamic suspension. Active steering makes it easier (smaller turning radius) to pull into parking spaces, etc and on the highway it decreases the response a bit so you don't drift as much with small movements of the steering wheel. In the US, active steering was not available in the diesel model with the previous E70 generation. Not sure about outside the US. But a lot of folks like the dynamic suspension once they have experienced it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-GT View Post
I think you mean the adaptive dynamic suspension. Active steering makes it easier (smaller turning radius) to pull into parking spaces, etc and on the highway it decreases the response a bit so you don't drift as much with small movements of the steering wheel. In the US, active steering was not available in the diesel model with the previous E70 generation. Not sure about outside the US. But a lot of folks like the dynamic suspension once they have experienced it.
Thank you for your comment. To some extent I was referring to adaptive dynamic suspension which also may contribute to the steering feel. Cars tested with adaptive dynamic suspension got praises on the suspension but at the same time bad reviews on the steering feel.

In addtion, all reviews so far criticized the M servotronic on M50d (standard option) and steering itself on 5.0i and 30d.

I would find it interesting to hear the review of active steering. It is really a practical option and it may contribute to better (or worse) steering feel.

I think F15 is a great car in all aspects, I am also fond of the looks (with Msport in particular), it is a pitty that the steering feel appears to be vague.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Thank you for your comment. To some extent I was referring to adaptive dynamic suspension which also may contribute to the steering feel. Cars tested with adaptive dynamic suspension got praises on the suspension but at the same time bad reviews on the steering feel.

In addtion, all reviews so far criticized the M servotronic on M50d (standard option) and steering itself on 5.0i and 30d.

I would find it interesting to hear the review of active steering. It is really a practical option and it may contribute to better (or worse) steering feel.

I think F15 is a great car in all aspects, I am also fond of the looks (with Msport in particular), it is a pitty that the steering feel appears to be vague.
Recent reviews from canada launch in some of the forums have indicated the sport m pkg helps a little with this issue. I ordered AS on my msport. We will see. Most of the feedback doesnt discuss AS for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

posted this on another thread then found this one, which is more to the purpose of my comment...

I'd be curious to know about the Active Steering compared to the "Variable Sport Steering" on my F30. The VSS I have not only varies the ratio, but tightens up the 'feel' (lowers boost) at higher speeds/in turns. I'm assuming since the F15 has "Active Steering" not "Variable SPORT Steering," this is a ratio adjustment only, with no change to boost. Point being, I don't think there is anything on the F15 (save maybe the //M variants, no I don't mean "M Sport," true //M) to change steering feel to a tighter, sportier feel more like the E70 and other hydraulic steering models that BMW is getting away from.

The VSS in my F30 mostly negates the change to electric assisted steering. At times, I still wish it were tighter. But when I really want to have fun with the car, it's tight like it should be. I don't think AS changes this at all, just the ratio. Seems standard steering is probably going to be similar steering to my wife's F25 X3, which has electric steering and no variable sport nor active steering option, and with AS, will just take less turn of the wheel at low speeds, but little or no change to the amount of force required (no tighter or looser wheel).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Source: BMW Germany
Active steering. ( AS)

The new dimension of steering comfort − active steering offers precision, agility and comfort in every situation on the road.

At slow speeds, such as when driving in town, when parking and on winding roads, active steering enlarges the steering angle. You can handle tight manoeuvres with a smaller movement of the steering wheel and without having to shuffle-steer − this much improves the agility of your BMW and parking becomes much easier.

In order to enhance supremacy in the upper speed range, active steering provides a more indirect steering ratio at speeds from approximately 120 to 140 km/h (depending on the model and set-up). In so doing, it reduces steering movement. The benefit to you: you can steer the wheels more precisely with larger turns − giving you greater stability and comfort. In critical situations, such as when the car oversteers or when braking on an inconsistent surface, active steering intervenes to assist, for example by damping yaw movements − faster than even a skilful driver would be capable of.

Since active system is a supplementary system and does not interrupt the direct connection between driver and wheels, the BMW can still be fully steered even if the system fails. If a fault is detected, the active steering adjustment mechanism is immediately blocked by means of a pin via the safety circuit. This means you always stay in full control of the situation.

Another thought is the safety and reliability of AS.
If you are interested and Google "BMW Active Steering malfunction" there are many forums on this. It appears from the above that BMW has fault detected and blocked the mechanism to ensure that you maintain control.

Last edited by barcelona; 10-10-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

So what you don't see mentioned there is anything about the level of boost changing, so it does seem it is all about the ratio/angle, the amount of movement you need to turn... nothing to do with the tension in the wheel. So while it is a worthwhile upgrade (subjective), it definitely will NOT make the car feel like the E70 with its hydraulic steering. The steering "feel" everyone complains is lost with electric steering will not be helped by AS the way it is by VSS.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Source: BMW: US

The new dimension in steering comfort: Active Steering offers precision, agility and comfort in every driving situation.

At the heart of the new Active Steering system is the planetary gear set integrated into the steering column. An electric motor in the joint adjusts the front wheels' steering angle in proportion to the Sedan's current speed.
When driving at lower speeds - such as in city traffic, when parking or on winding mountain roads, Active Steering increases the size of the steering angle. The front wheels respond immediately to small movements of the steering wheel, enabling the driver to manoeuvre through tight spaces without needing to make multiple turns of the steering wheel. Parking is easier and agility enhanced.
At medium speeds, steering is also easier. And to ensure smoothness at higher speeds, as of around 120 to 140 km/h (depending on the model) Active Steering becomes more indirect.

Active Steering therefore reduces the amount of change in the steering angle
for every movement of the steering wheel. This gives the driver the advantage
of more precise steering at higher speeds, and ensures great stability and more
comfort.

If the vehicle is threatened with instability, such as by oversteering or braking on a changeable surface, DSC identifies the problem and can use Active Steering to help overcome it. For example, in order to reduce unsafe yaw, Active Steering can increase the angle of steering wheels faster than even the most expert driver.
Active Steering does not interrupt the direct connection between steering wheel and front wheels, so that even in the unlikely event of a complete failure of the electronic systems, the BMW remains completely controllable at all times. This is because at the first sign of any problems, an adaptation mechanism blocks the Active Steering immediately using a pivot so that the driver is permanenty in control of the situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
So what you don't see mentioned there is anything about the level of boost changing, so it does seem it is all about the ratio/angle, the amount of movement you need to turn... nothing to do with the tension in the wheel. So while it is a worthwhile upgrade (subjective), it definitely will NOT make the car feel like the E70 with its hydraulic steering. The steering "feel" everyone complains is lost with electric steering will not be helped by AS the way it is by VSS.
So VSS is what the X5 is missing. Oh well, will take AS, forgot it also is a safety feature, got used to the practicallity as well. As I mentioned earlier, even the M servotronic (specific to M50d) is not a winner in the steering area. Am pretty sure they will fix it with the new X5M and possibly improve it with LCI.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

AS tested

Well the steering feel on the new X5 is quite bad. I hoped the steering feel at times criticized by reviews might slightly improve with AS (as none of the cars tested had AS) but was wrong. AS still serves its purpose by supposedly being more safe (as when it sees fit it can also adjust the steering automatically), but the steering is way too light. AS adds to practicality but adds no better feel while entering a turn. It is really bad because just about everything else on the car was great. Steering feel is the reason I bought my first BMW 10+ years ago. Went sailing last weekend, the boat offered more feedback. Car tested had adaptive comfort suspension. I will test drive Msport with Adaptive Air Suspension and NO dynamic package. Hope it improves slightly, but there is little hope as every review was stating what I experienced yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

AFS/AL
Active Front Steering (AFS) or Active Steering
(AL) was introduced on the E60 5 Series
models as part of the Sport Package.
AFS varies the steering transmission ratio
electronically in direct relation to the style
and speed of driving and road conditions.
AFS is different than variable assist power
steering, which only varies the amount of
effort, not the actual steering ratio.
Benefits:
• At low and medium speeds, the steering becomes more direct. This requires less
turns of the steering wheel and increases the car’s agility in city traffic or when parking.
• At high speeds the steering becomes less direct offering improved directional stability.
When cornering at high speeds, or when undertaking sudden movements, the
steering wheel will require more input to make the wheels turn.
• AFS works in conjunction with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) by monitoring the
yaw rate and changing the steering angle accordingly. This reduces the number of
DSC interventions, providing more control to the driver and increased comfort for
the passengers.
AFS works by inserting an electric motor with a worm gear drive that drives a planetary
gear set located between the steering rack and the steering column.
When the steering wheel angle senor detects driver input, the AFS control unit registers
the data and then powers an electric motor to increase mechanical advantage in terms
of rotation amount and turns the front wheels at more or less turns that the driver input.
At lower speeds the system dials in a more direct steering ratio allowing a small movement
of the steering wheel to result in a greater movement at the road wheels.

The electric power steering is cheaper to make/install and gets slight increase to petro mileage. I too would prefer a more engaging steering feel. So much for newer and better. I guess it depends on how one focuses on what better is. Car & Driver's previous review of 2007 X5 stated: "The steering told us what we needed to know, although effort at parking-lot speeds was too high".... Highs: BMW steering, BMW brakes, BMW handling.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

After test driving a stripper and a loaded F15, I elected not to get any handling or steering options. In my, albeit short, back-to-back test, I found the improvement these options provide to be marginal. That said, I imagine there are benefits for those that frequently tow...and, I suppose, for those that would look to track their 5000lb, top-heavy SUV with F10-based EPS...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Well the steering feel on the new X5 is quite bad. I hoped the steering feel at times criticized by reviews might slightly improve with AS (as none of the cars tested had AS) but was wrong. AS still serves its purpose by supposedly being more safe (as when it sees fit it can also adjust the steering automatically), but the steering is way too light. AS adds to practicality but adds no better feel while entering a turn. It is really bad because just about everything else on the car was great. Steering feel is the reason I bought my first BMW 10+ years ago. Went sailing last weekend, the boat offered more feedback. Car tested had adaptive comfort suspension. I will test drive Msport with Adaptive Air Suspension and NO dynamic package. Hope it improves slightly, but there is little hope as every review was stating what I experienced yesterday.
AS works much better with Msport package that has M Adaptive suspension in the rear. Provides a lot more feedback in the turns. Test drove a car today without Dynamic Handling Package. Must say the car leans too much in turns. Wondering would adding Dynamic Package mess up the steering with AS? I assume not and will add dynamic package. AS+COMFORT package is really bad, AS+M Adaptive suspension rear = QUITE GOOD!
Appreciate 0