BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-12-2022, 09:55 PM   #1
schung
Rep
Drives: 6MT AW 335i Coupe

Changed Plugs and Coils. Stuttering and Unknown Codes

Vehicle: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i 133k miles

Background: Noticed my X5 has been hesitating on start up a lot lately. To the point of almost dying then revs high and back to normal idle. Last week changed my spark plugs with FCP Bosch Double Platinums. Start up improved but still had slight hesitation and vehicle stuttered on drive. Then check engine light came on with codes. Changed out coils today with a new set from FCP Delphi and start up sounds great but there was a stutter in the exhaust. Check connections by unplugging the connection to the coils and testing each one. Looks like 1 & 3 connections were loose into the coil. Made sure it was a tight connection and that resolved the engine stutter. Drove down the street and vehicle stutters then check engine light came on with the below codes on scanner:

Permanent Codes - Motor Electronics:
FF102A
No description available
No description available

Error Memory - Motor Electronics:
6 errors
140010: Misfire, multiple cylinders: detected
140310: Misfire, cylinder 3: detected
140001: Misfiring, multiple cylinders: Injection is switched off
140301: Misfire, cylinder 3: Injection is switched off
140002: Misfiring, multiple cylinders: harmful to exhaust gas after starting
140302: Misfire, cylinder 3: harmful to exhaust gas after starting

Internal Memory
Error memory entry: Send buffer full
Misfiring: Injection shutdown

Cannot seem to find anything on the above permanent codes. This has been a headache. Not sure what could be the issue as the car ran fine prior to changing anything out. Now it’s stuttering and throwing codes. Any suggestions?

Spark plugs were torqued to spec. Coil connections were checked to make sure they were in nice and tight.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 10:02 PM   #2
Ianx12
Rep
Drives: BMW

remove the #3 spark plus, check the gap if the gap is correct make sure the ignition coil is seated and plugged in correctly.
clear codes and restart. try moving #3 coil to #1 and see if the problem follows it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 03:34 PM   #3
schung
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianx12 View Post
remove the #3 spark plus, check the gap if the gap is correct make sure the ignition coil is seated and plugged in correctly.
clear codes and restart. try moving #3 coil to #1 and see if the problem follows it.
I'll try that as soon as I get a chance. Just a slight update, I cleared the codes and it runs like normal. Then drove up the street again and same issue occurs. Engine light comes on and cylinder 3 error codes pop up. I unplugged the coil to cylinder 3 and it starts bogging so 3 is working. Is this possibly a computer issue somewhere? I've also unplugged the battery for 2 hours with no improvement.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 05:04 PM   #4
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Assume that your read the other thread here where a member suggests re-calibration of the injectors using ISTA?

Injector Calibration

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #5
schung
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Assume that your read the other thread here where a member suggests re-calibration of the injectors using ISTA?

Injector Calibration
Quote:

Injector Calibration
Injectors were not replaced. Think this is still a possible solution? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:05 PM   #6
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:

Injector Calibration
Is injector re-calibration ever required? I have same issue as OP but in cylinders 6 & 8. Already changed plugs and coils. NGK and Bosch. Same issue in same cylinders.

Car was driving fine just cruisin on the highway and it started to shake all of the sudden.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 06:57 AM   #7
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Injector coding and calibration isn’t required for a plug/coil replacement. Swap plugs around to see if it follows.

It’s easy to mess up the gap on a plug install on these cars.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #8
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
Injector coding and calibration isn’t required for a plug/coil replacement. Swap plugs around to see if it follows.

It’s easy to mess up the gap on a plug install on these cars.
I mean I already swapped the plugs and coils by replacing all 8 of them with new ones. The codes remained on the same cylinders. I checked the preset gap before installing. All looked good. 0.031 - 0.032. What are the odds of a brand new coil being bad AND installing it on the same cylinder. If another cylinder through a code then I would agree on switching them around… no?

Where do you go in ISTA to test the injectors?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 09:05 AM   #9
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
That’s a fair point. When I was going through this my next step was injector testing. However I didn’t use ISTA but rather a data logging tool to show timing pulls.

As an aside, myself and a few other non f15 folks earlier this year (kern417 on YT for example) were suffering misfires causing by faulty oxygen sensors so something to keep in mind.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #10
Vdesai0326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2015 bmw x5  [0.00]
Most likely injector three is faulted or leaking
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 11:14 AM   #11
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
I'd say gap or bad spark plug, if you tried a good known coil.
Appreciate 0