BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Schooey
Private
Rep
Drives: Prev X3M,F15 M50d 335dT

X5 M50d - 2 year review

So after exactly two years of M50d ownership, I’ve finally found a replacement, in fairness it’s not through a lack of trying over the last 12 months but genuinely, I have struggled to find a suitable replacement, the car has been that good.

Car was purchased new in November 2017, decent discount with £18K off the £73K list at the time, nice spec, pan roof, ivory white leather, black sapphire & 22inch wheels.

The X5 is simply a great truck, in M50d it’s even better, ride quality is incredible and performance is superb for such a large vehicle, pushed hard yes it’s slightly soft and sometimes wallows in corners even with air suspension but that’s a small compromise.

From family holidays to ‘spirited’ driving this car has achieved it all, 7 seats used about twice, after that mainly a 2 seater.

Technology wise the nav system is spot on, voice activated always worked perfectly and the HUD and infotainment very easy to read and use. Plenty of storage areas in the cabin, ambient lighting gives a nice feel at night and the headlights are extremely effective in even the darkest roads and poorest conditions.

The only issue has been an air vent rattle, 3 attempts later almost fixed, still gives the occasional creak but other than that, flawless.

Fuel economy 29-33mpg, service costs fair, £450 1st service and that’s it, tyres still have about 4.5mm after 12000 miles, all worn evenly.

Two minor negatives with the car, the split manual tailgate can be a pain, especially with dogs, the second is the 21 inch wheels, even with the most careful driving They pick up random chips, the 30 profile tyre offers little protection. Are these things really that much of an issue? No!

Not tried it off road but then who does these days? In the heavy snow fall of 2018 (beast from the east) it was excellent, on summer tyres as well, did not put a foot wrong or cause any concerns about getting home.

I tried the new 30d and perhaps an unfair comparison but it always felt slow compared to my 50d, the new M50d in equivalent spec is now around £84K, but there have been few incentives on it so far hence when the X3M deal came out I have made my choice.

In fairness I did also try to replace my 50d with the new Macan, but was not really impressed, felt slow, complicated to spec and no real discount but possibly higher residual value?

GLC63, pricey and boot was too small.

Land Rover, poor choice for performance in the discovery, RRS or Velar just didn’t do it for me in looks or interior tech, so I continued on with my X5.

Definitely be sad to see it go, still a bit of an unknown moving to the X3M but overall I would say the X5 M50d is the best all round SUV.

A few more weeks with it yet but these cars will be excellent value at 3 years old, so if you’re looking for one my advice, go for it, they really are great cars with a great road presence.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

So you went with X3M correct? It's no doubt a exciting vehicle. I saw one on the road and I liked it. The new X3M ones look as big as F15, but they are a bit smaller in fact. I think since you said you only used 2 front seats for vast majority of time - you are going to love X3M (and their front seats have same space as X5).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:43 AM   #3
Schooey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
So you went with X3M correct? It's no doubt a exciting vehicle. I saw one on the road and I liked it. The new X3M ones look as big as F15, but they are a bit smaller in fact. I think since you said you only used 2 front seats for vast majority of time - you are going to love X3M (and their front seats have same space as X5).

Yes X3M delivery is before Christmas, mostly just two of us and I agree, the front seats seem just as spacious, possibly better lumbar/comfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:22 AM   #4
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Had my M50d for 21/2 years now from new and had no regrets or major issues with it.
Got mine fully spec'd at a £85k with 20% discount at the time was a great deal - little concerned how much it is worth now, however I have no intention of letting go of it for a while. As you say not much out there to compare it with apart from the new M50d but that is over priced and IMO not a looker
Saw the review of the RSQ8 yesterday that might tempt me however can't really justify the cost at the moment now I do a lot less mileage now.
I too have the 21" wheels for the summer and the standard 20" the car came with, with winter tyres which preformed amazingly in the deep snow we had in 2018.
take mine over to the Swiss Alps twice a year and the SUV is faultless and so comfortable fully loaded with the family and ski gear.
I hope you enjoy the X3M Not seen one in the flesh yet so cannot comment, but I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.
Did you get a good deal and what trade in did you get for the beast?
      11-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Schooey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Had my M50d for 21/2 years now from new and had no regrets or major issues with it.
Got mine fully spec'd at a £85k with 20% discount at the time was a great deal - little concerned how much it is worth now, however I have no intention of letting go of it for a while. As you say not much out there to compare it with apart from the new M50d but that is over priced and IMO not a looker
Saw the review of the RSQ8 yesterday that might tempt me however can't really justify the cost at the moment now I do a lot less mileage now.
I too have the 21" wheels for the summer and the standard 20" the car came with, with winter tyres which preformed amazingly in the deep snow we had in 2018.
take mine over to the Swiss Alps twice a year and the SUV is faultless and so comfortable fully loaded with the family and ski gear.
I hope you enjoy the X3M Not seen one in the flesh yet so cannot comment, but I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.
Did you get a good deal and what trade in did you get for the beast?
The trade in price is £37K, quite a hit really in 2 years, surprised as the new model is so expensive I thought that may keep prices up, but I’ve seen < 1 year old at mid 50’s, it’s the AUC APR that rights that off.

But overall as a cost to change, it really is down to the monthly payments as I’m putting nothing upfront on the X3M and monthly is on a par.

Would like to run both, but that would be two pretty heavy depreciating vehicles sat outside.
Appreciate 0