BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-13-2023, 04:42 AM   #1
attuuu89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 (F15)

Question Got a Weird Popping Sound in My 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 30d (F15) - Anyone Else?

What's Going On:
Hey all! I'm from Down Under (Australia for those who missed geography class), and I've got this right-hand drive 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 30d - yep, the steering's on the 'wrong' side!

The Lowdown:
Picked up this bad boy in December 2021 with about 43,500 miles on it (that’s 70,000 kilometers for those who like it complicated). Now, the brakes and tires were showing some wear, so I jazzed 'em up - aftermarket for the brakes and the fancy OEM-recommended Bridgestone run-flats for the tires. And trust me, after driving a mixed bag of Japanese, Korean, and good ol' American rides, this Beemer feels like a dream.

The Actual Problem:
Not long after the brake fix, this annoying pop sound starts coming from the front passenger side whenever I back out of my driveway or try some tight parallel parking. By the way, by this point, I've cruised around and clocked in about 62,000 miles (or 100,000 KMs if we’re being Aussie). I have done all regular oil changes and other services as recommended by the local BMW dealer and another shop that specializes in BMW vehicles.

What I Tried:
Went to a local garage, and they're like, "Oh, it's the Caster Control Arms. It’s an F15 thing." Replaced those, but surprise, surprise, the noise didn’t get the memo to leave. Round two, went to another place specializing in suspension jazz. They tell me about a torn CV boot, especially on the passenger side, but they're also betting on a faulty engine mount for that stupid pop.

Where I'm At:
Here's where I'm scratching my head. Given the number of potholes I've greeted (thanks, Australian roads), no one's pointing fingers there. I'm leaning towards some suspension issue, not this engine mount theory.

Help a Mate Out:
Okay, so here’s where you all come in. Anyone out there with a similar Beemer (or really any BMW) who's had this weird popping party going on? I’d appreciate any and all insights. Cheers, mates!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 11:14 AM   #2
Hop74
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Welcome!

Since it only happens when you turn the wheel tightly, I'm also guessing its a torn CV boot. Had a similar symptoms with my VW. But hopefully others will chime in with their expereince on this specific car.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2023, 07:16 PM   #3
Geo41e
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F15 xDrive30D M Sport

Hey mate

From Sydney here aswell, inner west - good ol Strathfield

I may have a similar sound, more so a clicking sound from the driver side front if I hit a decent bump. With the x5 on a hoist and wheel of the ground, if you kick the tyre, there is a clunking sound. Havn't diagnosed it yet.

with your sound, does it happen during bumps/pot holes ? when braking to a stop after dive ? Wheels turned ?
2008 E60 LCI 530i M Sport - Sold
2018 F15 X5 XDrive30D M Sport - Current
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2023, 09:06 PM   #4
attuuu89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop74 View Post
Welcome!

Since it only happens when you turn the wheel tightly, I'm also guessing its a torn CV boot. Had a similar symptoms with my VW. But hopefully others will chime in with their expereince on this specific car.
Thanks mate, I've booked in for a BMW service for diagnosis and I hope that it turns out to be just the torn CV boot. Does it suffice to just repair the torn boot (after the CV joint starts making noise)? Or does it require a replacement of the CV shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo41e View Post
Hey mate

From Sydney here aswell, inner west - good ol Strathfield

I may have a similar sound, more so a clicking sound from the driver side front if I hit a decent bump. With the x5 on a hoist and wheel of the ground, if you kick the tyre, there is a clunking sound. Havn't diagnosed it yet.

with your sound, does it happen during bumps/pot holes ? when braking to a stop after dive ? Wheels turned ?
G'day mate, nice to hear from someone from the same place. I live in The Ponds hehe.

In my case, the car does not make any noise on bumps or cruising at highway speeds. Although the steering feels a bit twitchy when driving sometimes. I thought it was due to the nature of the roads here in Oz. My car makes the noise only when maneuvering at low speeds e.g. backing out of the driveway (especially if it is slopier) or during tight parallel parking. Sometimes I also heard the noise when the steering wheel was straight. Again only at low speeds when moving the vehicle forward and reverse in quick succession.

For your car, I'd reckon to get it diagnosed ASAP to avoid hitting the jackpot (for BMW)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:04 PM   #5
Geo41e
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F15 xDrive30D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by attuuu89 View Post
Thanks mate, I've booked in for a BMW service for diagnosis and I hope that it turns out to be just the torn CV boot. Does it suffice to just repair the torn boot (after the CV joint starts making noise)? Or does it require a replacement of the CV shaft?

G'day mate, nice to hear from someone from the same place. I live in The Ponds hehe.

In my case, the car does not make any noise on bumps or cruising at highway speeds. Although the steering feels a bit twitchy when driving sometimes. I thought it was due to the nature of the roads here in Oz. My car makes the noise only when maneuvering at low speeds e.g. backing out of the driveway (especially if it is slopier) or during tight parallel parking. Sometimes I also heard the noise when the steering wheel was straight. Again only at low speeds when moving the vehicle forward and reverse in quick succession.

For your car, I'd reckon to get it diagnosed ASAP to avoid hitting the jackpot (for BMW)
oh nice - havn't been to Parklea Markets in yonks !

mmm, based on your comments, I would assume if it was a torn CV boot, you would hear it more consistently when making turns...but yeh see what BMW say.

Yeh mine only happens on decent, sharp hits, but speed humps and going into drive ways, can't hear it...for now
2008 E60 LCI 530i M Sport - Sold
2018 F15 X5 XDrive30D M Sport - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
jbfrancis3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

By caster arms, I'm assuming they meaning the larger tension struts with big rubber bushings the tie into the subframe. I don't follow their comment as these don't tend to cause issues.

Rather, from personal experience, I've had that noise from the other control arm which is known as the lower wishbone. It's really just a strut that is perpendicular to the direction of vehicle travel.

You don't have aftermarket bushings installed anywhere do you?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #7
SMIK90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x3.5D

Check your sway bar links. I had a similar popping noise and the sway bar links were my culprit!
Appreciate 0