BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2023, 01:45 PM   #1
Plus1
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 x50i

Oil and coolant leak question (pics) n63tu

'16 50i 58k miles

Noticed some oil on the engine and was going to take things apart and clean it up some to find where its leaking.

When removing the air box I found what looks like oil in the intake hose (forgive me if thats not what its called), is the oil just getting in there from the leak next to the hose or is this a bigger problem I'm looking at? The oil is leaking right at the bottom of the oil fill tube where it meets the engine. It looks like just a couple bolts and replace a gasket right there? Surely it isn't that easy. pics below

The coolant leak looks to be at that plastic "T" piece. I'm assuming replace that and the hoses around will be sufficient?

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:32 PM   #2
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

oil in the intake tube happens from the pcv system

That plastic tee that is leaking can just be replaced with a brass 3/8 tee and 3 hose clamps. there's also a plastic Y fitting under the alternator (I think?) that could be leaking. Best bet would be to just get 2x 3/8 tee's and a 3/8 Y 9 hose clamps.

the oil leaking near the oil filler neck, I can't really tell how much its leaking, mine is a little wet but doesn't leak to the point of dripping.
Appreciate 1
Plus116.50
      08-15-2023, 08:41 PM   #3
Plus1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
oil in the intake tube happens from the pcv system

That plastic tee that is leaking can just be replaced with a brass 3/8 tee and 3 hose clamps. there's also a plastic Y fitting under the alternator (I think?) that could be leaking. Best bet would be to just get 2x 3/8 tee's and a 3/8 Y 9 hose clamps.

the oil leaking near the oil filler neck, I can't really tell how much its leaking, mine is a little wet but doesn't leak to the point of dripping.
Ty for the response. Will pick up some tee's tomorrow. Maybe I'll just clean up the engine and see how it leaks afterwards...bought it from my brother who just did regular intervals at dealership.

Looks like Ill check on the PCV valve first and see if replacing it fixes the oil in intake problem...although one video I just watched said a little bit of oil isn't a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 09:09 PM   #4
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus1 View Post
Ty for the response. Will pick up some tee's tomorrow. Maybe I'll just clean up the engine and see how it leaks afterwards...bought it from my brother who just did regular intervals at dealership.

Looks like Ill check on the PCV valve first and see if replacing it fixes the oil in intake problem...although one video I just watched said a little bit of oil isn't a problem.
Yeah I think you'll get oil in the intakes no matter what. The PCV system has a few different hoses and valves, they're known to break, so you may want to just inspect them anyway. A lot of people have started using oil catch cans. You can do a search on the forum to see what I'm talking about, might be more info over on the f85 forum..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 07:27 AM   #5
Plus1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
Yeah I think you'll get oil in the intakes no matter what. The PCV system has a few different hoses and valves, they're known to break, so you may want to just inspect them anyway. A lot of people have started using oil catch cans. You can do a search on the forum to see what I'm talking about, might be more info over on the f85 forum..
Yeah did some deep dives on it. Saw one mechanic mention that the lighter weighted oils can cause more blow-by in the PCV valves. I just did my first oil change with moly 5w-40 and I think it previously had 0w-20 for its life. Maybe that will help as well. It looks like mine already has the updated rubber hoses instead of the plastic hose that gets brittle and breaks.

Ty for help again.
Appreciate 0