03-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Best place/price to get a remote key

Hey guys,

I am in need of a 2nd key for my car as it did not come with one. I have a new owner thread, and was told it's around 300 dollars from a dealer.

I understand the key comes specific to your vehicle and is 'programmed' to your car once you get it.

That being said, I called 2 dealers near me and was told $693

Called another dealer little further away and was quoted $460.

before I pull the trigger and get it from them, is there a forum friendly dealer that will let me order a key at a more affordable price? I understand I'll have to scan/email my reg and DL which is fine...

FWIW, I do have comfort access.

I searched here, but didn't see any dealer recommendations for it.

any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Well, key fobs are not reusable and keys are made by BMW, not even the dealership.So $460 from the dealership is no that bad. The cheapest I've seen was from BimmerTech, $425. https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...f-and-g-series
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Well, key fobs are not reusable and keys are made by BMW, not even the dealership.So $460 from the dealership is no that bad. The cheapest I've seen was from BimmerTech, $425. https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...f-and-g-series
I'm aware... I heard mention of around 300 which is why I asked.

I saw that 425, but the key is 85 extra. this was 460 key included.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Check with bmw of fairfax, I got my key for my 2-series for $235.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_2751

Last edited by bmwx5er; 03-03-2019 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I was charged around $300 plus tax for the key after CCA discount but it’s possible that’s only for the transponder part not the physical key part which would be extra. This was ordered for my remote engine start retrofit. This was also around two years ago and prices do go up. Perhaps that $450-ish is a good price for the whole key. I’ll try to pull up my paperwork when I get home.
      03-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
$460 sucks, but that's the way it is. Lose or damage your current key and then it gets complicated and even more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
weareweird69
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d

We had to get a new key for our F15. It ended up being $336 for the fob, and $120 for the key. Then because we had comfort access, it was an hour of labor to code it. From our local dealer.
      03-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
$460 sucks, but that's the way it is. Lose or damage your current key and then it gets complicated and even more expensive.
Yeah... Car came with 1 key... Really sucks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
We had to get a new key for our F15. It ended up being $336 for the fob, and $120 for the key. Then because we had comfort access, it was an hour of labor to code it. From our local dealer.
I have thar as well. They told me they have to program it when the key comes in but they'll just take care of it outside. You shouldn't pay any labor for that
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
weareweird69
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d

They had ours inside for over an hour.

If you DONT have comfort access, I am told you don't need dealer programming, but if you DO have it, its required.
      03-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #11
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'll post back here when I get mine done!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Well, key fobs are not reusable and keys are made by BMW, not even the dealership.
I have a couple of ///M key fobs that have already been programmed. Are these now worthless paperweights? Can they be reprogrammed for my current X5M or sold to someone else?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Check with bmw of fairfax, I got my key for my 2-series for $235.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_2751
I think they require in-person verification of registration.... at least 3 yrs ago they did.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I think they require in-person verification of registration.... at least 3 yrs ago they did.
I did it remotely, had to send car registration and a copy of my DL via email. This was in late 2016. Several other dealers I contacted turned me down because they needed in-person verification. It’s worth a try, IMO, as they had the best price.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I have a couple of ///M key fobs that have already been programmed. Are these now worthless paperweights? Can they be reprogrammed for my current X5M or sold to someone else?
The information below is an exert of text taken from the TIS website in regards to the central locking aspect of the remote fob (click link for full page). Do remember that their are other features of the remote that is key specific as well which would include the EWS immobilizing system that won't allow the car to start unless the correct key with the matching encrypted ISN (individual serial number) is being used: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eiver/GIe0UqTx

Functional description

Pressing the release button or the central locking button on the ID transmitter transmits an encrypted remote control signal. The remote control receiver receives the remote control signal with an integrated aerial. The signal is then demodulated, processed and checked in the remote control receiver. That means: The radio signal contains a vehicle-specific constant 'value' which is checked by the remote control receiver. Only when this constant value is correct is the information forwarded along the local interconnect network bus to the control unit (CAS or FEM or BDC). This means: Radio signals from remote keys or ID transmitters belonging to different vehicles (but the same product line) have no effect on the access to the vehicle or its systems. The remote control signal is authenticated in the control unit (CAS or FEM or BDC). If the request is duly authorised, the control unit (CAS or FEM or BDC) wakes up the vehicle and either locks or unlocks the vehicle.

The transmission frequency of the remote key and/or ID transmitter is country-dependent. The following high frequencies are currently used:
  • 315 MHz
  • 434 MHz
  • 868 MHz

Electronic immobiliser

The electronic immobiliser is both an anti-theft system and start enable device. The electronic immobiliser uses modern encryption. Each vehicle is assigned a 128-bit code. This code is stored in a BMW database. This means that the code is known only to BMW. The code is programmed in the Car Access System (CAS) and the Digital Engine Electronics (DME) and is locked. When the code is in the control units, it can no longer be deleted or changed. This means that each control unit is assigned to a certain vehicle. The Car Access System (CAS) and the electronic immobiliser (EWS) mutually identify one another with the code and the same algorithm. If the identification data is correct, the Car Access System (CAS) activates the starter motor via a relay in the control unit. At the same time, the Car Access System (CAS) sends the Digital Engine Electronics (DME) a coded enable signal (random code) for the engine start. The Digital Engine Electronics (DME) only enable the engine start if a correct enable signal has arrived from the Car Access System (CAS). These operations may result in a slight delay in starting (up to half a second).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-04-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #16
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just called them. Price is 462. 150 extra for program he said due to comfort access

Place local to me said they'll just take care of the coding for me. I don't know if they know what is involved but didn't sound like they were going ot charage me.

Last edited by taseal; 03-04-2019 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Electronic immobiliser

The electronic immobiliser is both an anti-theft system and start enable device. The electronic immobiliser uses modern encryption. Each vehicle is assigned a 128-bit code. This code is stored in a BMW database. This means that the code is known only to BMW. The code is programmed in the Car Access System (CAS) and the Digital Engine Electronics (DME) and is locked. When the code is in the control units, it can no longer be deleted or changed. This means that each control unit is assigned to a certain vehicle. The Car Access System (CAS) and the electronic immobiliser (EWS) mutually identify one another with the code and the same algorithm. If the identification data is correct, the Car Access System (CAS) activates the starter motor via a relay in the control unit. At the same time, the Car Access System (CAS) sends the Digital Engine Electronics (DME) a coded enable signal (random code) for the engine start. The Digital Engine Electronics (DME) only enable the engine start if a correct enable signal has arrived from the Car Access System (CAS). These operations may result in a slight delay in starting (up to half a second).
[/i][/INDENT]
Could a dealer wipe and reload key data and program it to current vehicle? I would like to have a spare set at our other home for emergencies but if I cannot reuse one of the ones I have I will have to reorder on my next service visit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #18
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Could a dealer wipe and reload key data and program it to current vehicle? I would like to have a spare set at our other home for emergencies but if I cannot reuse one of the ones I have I will have to reorder on my next service visit.
I don't think so, once activated/attached to the car key fob is done. Can't be wiped or re-programmed, that's why they are so expensive, BMW explains it as thief prevention measure,so someone in the dealership can't program the key and help get your car stolen.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #20
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I'm not an expert, but I think technically any fob can be wiped clean, at the chip level, i.e. involving some level of disassembly. Whether it can be later programmed to a car, by dealer or elsewhere - no clue
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See the text highlighted in blue in the quote below that was previously posted. I interpret the text as being a no...a dealer can not "wipe & reload" key data. The CAS & DME is coded with a specific 128-bit encrypted code that can't be overwritten or changed. Thus any NEW key for the vehicle would need to contain the same 128-bit encrypted code to be able to start the car.

One would have to retrieve the specific 128-bit code (already written to the cars CAS & DME)...then write that to the remote fob in order for that fob to work with the car and enable it to start. This also means that a used CAS or DME from another vehicle also won't work in another BMW unless they had some type of hardware/software to "virginize" the module and write the (VIN) specific 128-encrypted code to that module that matches the vehicle's other EWS coded modules/components.

Quote:
Electronic immobiliser

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #22
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not an expert, but I think technically any fob can be wiped clean, at the chip level, i.e. involving some level of disassembly. Whether it can be later programmed to a car, by dealer or elsewhere - no clue
In the older gen BMWs (like the e38/e39/e46/e53)...this is how non-official remote keys are made.

The name is the AK90...which is software/hardware that allows you to retrieve the EWS's ISN (individual serial number)...which is the forerunner of the 128-bit encryption used on the newer gen BMWs. Once the ISN is retrieved...it is then written to a new transponder chip that is inside the new/used aftermarket remote key.

But the other side of this scenario (for the old style remote keys) is that the replacement remote needs the correct key blade type (there were multiple types used)...and the key blade also needs to be cut correctly to fit the ignition cylinder. And depending on if you have the 1st iteration or 2nd iteration...the key needs to be powered to transmit the FZV/DWA (central locking/ain't-theft alarm siren system) signal. The early versions used a replaceable 2016 battery or two 1220 batteries...whereas the latter remote was sealed and used a rechargeable battery. The latter (diamond-shaped) remote is kept charged thru induction by the Ring Antenna located around the ignition cylinder. So this wrinkle also needed to be considered when going with a used or aftermarket remote...how is it going to be powered.

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50