BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
S777UJA
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi, today I got this tyre pressure warning so I checked the tyre pressure and the rear left was low. I inflated it and made sure all of the tyres are at the correct pressure.

Now when I try to reset this, it just doesn't give me the option to do so. Even with the engine or ignition on. Anyone now why and also could this be resolved with a software update at home?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S777UJA View Post
Hi, today I got this tyre pressure warning so I checked the tyre pressure and the rear left was low. I inflated it and made sure all of the tyres are at the correct pressure.

Now when I try to reset this, it just doesn't give me the option to do so. Even with the engine or ignition on. Anyone now why and also could this be resolved with a software update at home?
Did you drive it after inflated? Maybe needs to read it while driving and then park and do the reset
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
S777UJA
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2018 View Post
Quote:

Did you drive it after inflated? Maybe needs to read it while driving and then park and do the reset
I drove it for around 5 mins back to my house and my mother has gone out now again so will hopefully have a look when she returns
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:

Based on the last pic you posted...you haven't moved the iDrive cursor to the reset prompt. You need to scroll down one more time to the icon along the left side of the iDrive screen that says RESET.

This is the screen you need to be on...but scroll down to the icon below the one you have selected...then follow the instructions that were given to have the engine running....then begin to drive:

In the images below...you can see that it is the 2nd icon from the top that you use to reset or reinitialize once you've reinflated the tires. The 1st pic is from the earlier CIC (iDrive) screen where the icon says INIT (initialize)...and the 2nd image is from the latter NBT (iDrive) screen where it says RESET: (also, disregarded the PSI & temp data if you have the RPA system which uses the ABS/wheel sensors to determine tire inflation...these pics below are from BMWs with the TPM systems that have sensors inside each wheel that sends data to the RDC control module then onto the iDrive screen)
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-09-2019 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
S777UJA
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:

Based on the last pic you posted...you haven't moved the iDrive cursor to the reset prompt. You need to scroll down one more time to the icon along the left side of the iDrive screen that says RESET.

This is the screen you need to be on...but scroll down to the icon below the one you have selected...then follow the instructions that were given to have the engine running....then begin to drive:

In the images below...you can see that it is the 2nd icon from the top that you use to reset or reinitialize once you've reinflated the tires. The 1st pic is from the earlier CIC (iDrive) screen where the icon says INIT (initialize)...and the 2nd image is from the latter NBT (iDrive) screen where it says RESET: (also, disregarded the PSI & temp data if you have the RPA system which uses the ABS/wheel sensors to determine tire inflation...these pics below are from BMWs with the TPM systems that have sensors inside each wheel that sends data to the RDC control module then onto the iDrive screen)
Thanks for your response. My problem is when I go to reset the pressure with the engine on, the reset option stays grey and just doesn't let me click on it as seen in this picture:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #6
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your response. My problem is when I go to reset the pressure with the engine on, the reset option stays grey and just doesn't let me click on it as seen in this picture:
I just reset mine today after swapping on my winter wheels. The second/bottom image in your post is the screen you want. The car has to be stationary and running. Select the "Perform Reset" with the iDrive knob and start driving. It should switch to a different screen with a single line of text "Performing reset....0%" - with the percentage going up steadily as you drive. It'll take 4 or 5 miles or 6-8 km before it hits 100%. Then it'll switch to the main tire pressure readout screen and display the pressures.
      11-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just an FYI so as not to confuse anyone...the OP has the RPA (Flat Tyre Monitor) system...not the TPM system (with sensors inside each wheel). He won't see temp and PSI in his iDrive display because his system calculates the revolution of each wheel using the ABS/wheel sensors.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
KingBiscuit
KingBiscuit
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW X5x35i/'14 Lexus EX350

How do I know which system I have? Which one is a bigger pain when it comes to maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBiscuit View Post
How do I know which system I have? Which one is a bigger pain when it comes to maintenance?
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=823
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
...the OP has the RPA (Flat Tyre Monitor) system...not the TPM system (with sensors inside each wheel). He won't see temp and PSI in his iDrive display because his system calculates the revolution of each wheel using the ABS/wheel sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBiscuit View Post
You can tell which system you have by the words on your Tire Monitor screen in iDrive. If you have the FTM (RPA) system...it says either FTM, or flat Tire Monitor or RPA etc:

If you have the TPM (RDC) system...then you'll see the wording TPM or Tire Pressure Monitor or RDC on the screen.

Which one is the bigger pain in regards to maintenance? Well, one has battery powered sensors inside the wheel which will eventually need to be replaced at some point. But that also depends on how long you keep the vehicle. The other uses the vehicles ABS/wheel sensors.

I'm not sure how one quantifies "a pain" in regards to having to replace the TPM sensors. You'll probably get a warning in iDrive, then you have to figure if you're taking it to the dealer and have them replace them, buy them from the dealership's parts department or online, and have someone (or yourself) replace them. Is that a "pain"?

Appreciate 0