BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Simple Pro's and Con's that were Unexpected

What are some of the little things about your X5 that you were either pleasantly surprised with or mildly upset with.

Con's:
I find the navigation cumbersome to use and it often does not find what I want it to.
Must be the aerodynamics but the rear end is always filthy.
Rear door does not open high enough IMO.
A few times I have reengaged my cruise control accidentally because of where the buttons are.
Sunglasses do not fit in the holder.
Velcro holding floor mat doesn't work very well.

Pro's:
TPMS with each tire actual readout.
Drive - I knew it would be nice but I still smile when I get in this thing after 3 months, she drives like a dream.
Auto windshield wipers - never thought I'd use them as I'm fussy but they work exactly as if they were programmed for me.
Heated seats get hot fast - that's per my wife
I did't think the interior lighting was a big deal but I now think it's looks very nice at night - same with the lights in the door handles

Again, what were some of the smaller things you guys have found to like or dislike?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
What are some of the little things about your X5 that you were either pleasantly surprised with or mildly upset with.

Con's:
I find the navigation cumbersome to use and it often does not find what I want it to.
A few times I have reengaged my cruise control accidentally because of where the buttons are.

Pro's:
Drive - I knew it would be nice but I still smile when I get in this thing after 3 months, she drives like a dream.
Auto windshield wipers - never thought I'd use them as I'm fussy but they work exactly as if they were programmed for me.
I did't think the interior lighting was a big deal but I now think it's looks very nice at night - same with the lights in the door handles

Again, what were some of the smaller things you guys have found to like or dislike?
TPMS shows Temperature for each wheel as well (when coded). And that damn carpet velcro thing is torn on my driver mat - I need to fix it somehow

Cons:
1. most expensive car I owned so far ($83k when it was new) and cars depreciate fast - but we live only once eh?
2. Most of capable cars on the road won't race me - because they think it's a slow SUV
3. NAV sucks - not NAV itself, but how you have to input address and controls and such - I feel like a touch screen could have solved this issue easily
4. Fuel consumption - I have currently 14MPG in city, but I'm in Sport+ mode all the time and heavy foot

Pros:
1. It's comfy and still drives good (for a 5000lbs 7 seater)
2. It has it's own charisma, especially when you mod exterior a bit
3. The moment when Camaro SS or Mustang GT finally decides to teach you a lesson and then in 5 sec they realize what a mistake they made - it's priceless (I love those heartbroken faces)

IMHO every enthusiast should own a V8 damn fast car at least once in lifetime and this is my turn. I know that my next car will be either a boring hybrid or full electric pathetic POS. Era of monster V8 bi-turbo Bavarian engines are fading away slowly. We are basically living the last years left of it. Well at least I'll have something for the grand-kids to tell in 30 years
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

Pro: Useful thread with interesting information.
Con: Unnecessary apostrophes.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
Chadmatic660.50
      09-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

If you don't think the rear hatch opens enough, try having a 328i GT...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
nyceric03
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 35i, F15 50i, E70 4.8i

X5 50i
Pros:
1. Power, like the other post stated its hilarious when unsuspecting cars get whomped (all sorts of infinitis, most cayenne, most mustangs, most camaros, (great stop light racer) and the passing power on highways HNNNGGG
2. Comfort (way more comfortable in every way than my e70) Grew to like the lighter steering more than the e70's weighty feel esp on long drives
3. Tech - new idrive/much better backup camera/etc
4. Fuel economy is good for what it is imo esp for a heavy suv with 445hp and 480tq

Cons:
1. I dislike that the volume up/down buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel, I usually steer/drive with my left hand only ( buttons used to be on the left side on my e70)
2. The stupid "aeroblades" wheel wheel cutout holes I kick up dirt/ sand slight scratch the doors on occasion with whatever is kicked up through them
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceric03 View Post
X5 50i
Pros:
1. Power, like the other post stated its hilarious when unsuspecting cars get whomped (all sorts of infinitis, most cayenne, most mustangs, most camaros, (great stop light racer) and the passing power on highways HNNNGGG
2. Comfort (way more comfortable in every way than my e70) Grew to like the lighter steering more than the e70's weighty feel esp on long drives
3. Tech - new idrive/much better backup camera/etc
4. Fuel economy is good for what it is imo esp for a heavy suv with 445hp and 480tq

Cons:
1. I dislike that the volume up/down buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel, I usually steer/drive with my left hand only ( buttons used to be on the left side on my e70)
2. The stupid "aeroblades" wheel wheel cutout holes I kick up dirt/ sand slight scratch the doors on occasion with whatever is kicked up through them
I'm wondering if side vent can help? It's for looks mainly, but it does narrow and almost close that vent so less dirt will flow out of it (if any)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

Disclaimers first - the X5 is my first BMW, so I've got no past BMW experience to compare to. The X5 replaced a 2004 MDX and my 535 CPO replaced a CRV.

Likes - power (more than in any car I've had before)
comfort - I like the sliding portion of the seats for leg support
auto hi beams; yes, you have to turn that feature on each time, but it's good to have
good mileage on the highway for a vehicle of this type; we do lots of highway miles and that's an important item
LED lights - other threads discussed this, but I like them and most importantly, my wife likes them
Parking assist - the overhead view helps parking and minimize curb rash; I'm not brave enough to fully try the "parallel parking" assistant

Could be better - yes, the NAV system is a bit clunky for entering addresses
NAV system should "show" which road you are on, both the MDX and CRV did this
run flats - don't like them, don't think I ever will

for those that complain that the back window/door get dirty, I think that's simply the nature of the "SUV" beast. the MDX, CRV, and Volvo 740 wagon before them, suffered the same disease.
      09-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Cons:

- Alpine White always looks dirty
- The rear tailgate is always covered in soot
- Every other X5 on the road seems to be Alpine White
- Left tailpipe = black, right tailpipe = silver
- Replacement tires cost a lot of $$$

Pros:

- Coding
- Adaptive LED Lights coded w/ Variable Light Distribution + Glare Free High Beam
- I get 36 mpg overall (X5 40e PHEV)
- Night Vision is a ton of fun on Halloween
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post

Con's:

Pro's:

Con's:
I think the NBT is hands down so much easier to use and look at than the CIC and CCC, both on cars that I own. But then again, I don't buy a car for its electronics, I buy it to drive it. All that's on my screen is just map with traffic colors, that's it.

ditto, same issue with E70 and other hatch style cars

check your manual, there's a setting to adjust it. Do note, at the highest setting, you may run into issues of the door hitting the garage door

you mean the cupholder?

might need to clean it. Could also be the way you put pressure on the mat when you get in and out of the car
      09-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochiEater View Post
Cons:

- Alpine White always looks dirty
- The rear tailgate is always covered in soot
- Every other X5 on the road seems to be Alpine White
- Left tailpipe = black, right tailpipe = silver
- Replacement tires cost a lot of $$$

Pros:

- Coding
- Adaptive LED Lights coded w/ Variable Light Distribution + Glare Free High Beam
- I get 36 mpg overall (X5 40e PHEV)
- Night Vision is a ton of fun on Halloween
I don't know what you consider "a lot of $$" for tire replacement, but I've never spent more than $800 for OEM 20 sizes. You're not waiting for a sale or buying it from a dealer or buying OE run flats. If you're spending more than $1000 on 18s or 19s, then you're definitely doing it wrong.
      09-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Cons:
My X5 50i and iPhone 6 just do not work well together.
Wish my ventilated seats worked better
Trailer hitch with a receiver (not the clunky hitch ball only) should be offered as an option (instead we all have to purchase an after market trailer hitch and install it - I installed an invisihitch - thankfully, invisihitch provides a factory wiring harness so that snazzy zoom rear view camera feature works).

Pros:
It puts a smile on my face every time I get in it (and I have had it for almost two years now with 40,000 miles on it).
At least once a week I find something new about my X5. Just love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Con's:
you mean the cupholder?

might need to clean it. Could also be the way you put pressure on the mat when you get in and out of the car
The glasses holder/compartment on the front of the headliner. I wish my sunglasses fit in there... they are not that big.

The velcro (since I bought used) is a little mangled. And yes keeping it clean helps. I guess I'm old school I'd prefer a couple small "pegs" to keep the floor mat in place.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #13
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

This is my first BMW and I'm sure I'll notice more things further down the line, but so far;

Con's:
1. Waaaaaay too bouncy in comfort mode with the adaptive M suspension.
2. Creaking/rattling from steering column and rear hatch.
3. Paint finish not great as I can see a lot of orange peel around sideskirt area.
4. Even though I got used to the BMW gear shift, I would still prefer the usual PRND shift.
5. City gas mileage could be better.
6. Too common

Pro's:
1. Interior and exterior styling.
2. Handling in sports mode is very good for a car of this size.
3. Love the MPE sound.
4. The ambient lighting definitely makes the interior feel a lot nicer.
5. Voice recognition is very accurate.
6. Screen resolution is excellent.
7. Coding

Regrets:
Sometimes I question myself whether I still should've went for the Macan GTS I was originally looking into as I don't need a car this big, but then I realize bang for the buck I can't think of anything else with this combination of performance, styling and tech.

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 0