BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-08-2017, 11:32 PM   #23
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanelX5 View Post
Has anyone painted the plastic pieces to gloss black? I cant find anything on the Forum.
Historically most all-road or AWD SUVs came with matte black plastic around the arches, bottom parts of bumpers (both front and rear). There's imho reason for that - gloss black paint will become a mess after very short period of time. Even painted to match body factory fender flares get pitted and flaked from road debris. Besides, imho it's going to be not cheap to paint all those black trim pieces around the car to gloss black paint. For that money, majority would prefer to go all the way and convert to M-Sport as I think difference in price would be minimal. Maybe that's why no one have done it yet.

What are you trying to achieve? Post your car picture and we'll try to help, the thing is it also greatly depends on your car color. For example I like Kr0m3assass1n's Alpine White with black (unpainted) fender flares - it matches good with the rest of black trim on his car and really ties the car together imho. So what I'm saying is that depending on your color combo and trim it may not be the best desicion to paint all black trim to gloss black paint
Just saying
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #24
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanelX5 View Post
Has anyone painted the plastic pieces to gloss black? I cant find anything on the Forum.
Historically most all-road or AWD SUVs came with matte black plastic around the arches, bottom parts of bumpers (both front and rear). There's imho reason for that - gloss black paint will become a mess after very short period of time. Even painted to match body factory fender flares get pitted and flaked from road debris. Besides, imho it's going to be not cheap to paint all those black trim pieces around the car to gloss black paint. For that money, majority would prefer to go all the way and convert to M-Sport as I think difference in price would be minimal. Maybe that's why no one have done it yet.

What are you trying to achieve? Post your car picture and we'll try to help, the thing is it also greatly depends on your car color. For example I like Kr0m3assass1n's Alpine White with black (unpainted) fender flares - it matches good with the rest of black trim on his car and really ties the car together imho. So what I'm saying is that depending on your color combo and trim it may not be the best desicion to paint all black trim to gloss black paint
Just saying
Why thank you. Here she be- I need to take better pics. Perhaps today after she's washed.

The window trim blackout and front bumper shark fin blackout are coming up soon!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      09-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #25
fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Here's mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50
      09-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #26
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

My luxury line vehicle (didn't have to source the matching paint and fender flares). Blacked out the chrome with gloss wrap and performance grilles. I think as good as you can do without a M Sport kit.

Really disappointed there is no decent front lip for this model. Should have bought M Sport, but hard to a good one slightly used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      09-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #27
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
My luxury line vehicle (didn't have to source the matching paint and fender flares). Blacked out the chrome with gloss wrap and performance grilles. I think as good as you can do without a M Sport kit.

Really disappointed there is no decent front lip for this model. Should have bought M Sport, but hard to a good one slightly used.
There is - OEM BMW lip - it's called Aerodynamics Package for Non M-Sport only. I already ordered it from ECS. It looks much better in person. I like it even more than M-Sport lip (which to be honest is so-so, they should have made it more rugged lines instead of round semi-circle)

Kit includes rear diffuser and flaps, but if you only want lip - lip part# 51192364672 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/51192364672/

Unlike M-Sport that I see on almost every other streetlight (no offense), this lip is rare - I've only seen it once yet and I immediately ordered it after that
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

^ can you post pics after you mount, thanks. Curious to see what it looks like. I think it's best in black, would likely still have to paint or wrap.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50
      09-21-2017, 11:27 PM   #29
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
^ can you post pics after you mount, thanks. Curious to see what it looks like. I think it's best in black, would likely still have to paint or wrap.
I will (shipping is on Oct.12th - I guess they are shipping it directly from Germany lol). I have Alpine White too. Aero lip comes in matte black (unpainted) so I'm thinking to install it first myself as is unpainted (should be easy swap: bottom part of bumper comes off and this lip goes instead).
The thing is it matches other matte black unpainted lower trim around car, so it should not be bad. When I inquired to my BMW dealer (they have this lip too, but ECS price is less expensive) about color of lip - dealer said as per BMW instructions lip can be left as is unpainted, painting it is optional he said
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #30
omarghazzy
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 2015 X5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Wish granted.
those are the best looking rims I have ever seen on an F15, what model are they ?
Appreciate 0