BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2024, 11:25 AM   #1
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

X5M Engine Problem - Spun centric shaft, Pin Broke!?

🚨X5M is down for now. So here’s what happened….

On the centric shaft that uses variable valve timing there is a pin that stops the centric shaft from turning in a certain position. The pin fell off so the shaft flipped over and left the valves open

So the left side wasn’t firing. They have to open the valve cover and look for the pin which is either on the head or in the oil pan. They’re going to have to weld the pin in place so it doesn’t happen again. 18 hr job….

It’s 50/50 whether it needs a valve job if it doesn’t have proper compression or something got bent due to the issue. That would be a massive job of 40 hours plus parts.

Question, has this happened to ANYONE or anyone you know? I mean this is clearly a design flaw. How the hell would they put a pin in place for this purpose and have it possibly come loose. This is also only one side. This could still happen to the other side!

Anyone have any luck calling bmw USA and bitching? I plan on writing a letter and calling to get a response to the issue. I’ve had luck last time my wife’s x3 shit the bed with an oil pump chain flaw that ruined the block.
It’s going to get fixed. My shop is great. But damn 💰