BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2023, 10:39 PM   #1
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Multiple Codes with no symptoms

So, we have a 2018 x5d with 57k. Well maintained by me since 42k. EGR recall and HPFP recall done about 6k ago. Got a check engine light with no symptoms and no check control messages twice on a road trip of about 320 miles today(reset both times with Protool). List of codes:

Monitoring fuel injection quantity: Fuel injection quantity too low compared to lambda value and air mass.

Air mass system: Measured air volume too high

Exhaust-gas recirculation control: Air volume too high

24CE00

Air mass measurement: Measured air volume is too high compared with the calculated air volume.

Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter, signal: Too low the event of partial load

Not sure where to start. Seems like a TMAP or MAF sensor failure could be it (assuming this is setup like an n55 - need to research intake side on N57). Worst case seems like HPFP failure coming, but it was just replaced. Best case i think is an air leak, but how would that be intermittent?...need to check all the connections, I suppose, but the ones I could check at the rest stop seemed fine. Any help appreciated.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune

Last edited by AndyW; 04-24-2023 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Poor title
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:28 AM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Definitely sounds like an air leak. My money on the root causes is your recent EGR Recall work.

Below is the service plan that comes back for the code 290900:

Check the following possible fault causes:
1. Air cleaner faulty.
Note: As of September 2011, air filter elements with increased tolerances were installed for N57D30O1 and N57D30T1, this can make the measured air mass appear too high, which leads to this fault. The faulty air filter elements have a thick grey fleece. These air filter elements must be replaced by a new filter element (thin white fleece).

2. Leaking bypass pipe of EGR cooler (pipe could be broken).

3. Exhaust gas recirculation cooler clogged.

4. Charge-air temperature sensor faulty (displays values that are too high, mostly without fault entry).

5. Exhaust gas pressure sensor before turbine faulty (in conjunction with the fault codes 27B900 and/or 4C83 and/or 28DE00 and/or 4990).

6. Charging pressure sensor faulty.

7. Leak in the air mass system:
After the compressor (in conjunction with faults 241200 or 4674 and/or 241300 or 4679).
The fault can also occur in combination with charging pressure control deviations. Such combinations are a sign that leaks in the air mass system after the compressor are the cause.
Oil patches are signs of leaks.
Check whether sealing rings on charge air hoses are rolled back or missing!

8. Exhaust-gas recirculation valve jams in closed position (in conjunction with the faults 272E00 or 4C9E and/or 255B00 or 40D4) or does not close correctly.

Below is the service plan that comes back for the code 240500:
1. Leak in the air mass system after the compressor.
2. Severe sooting in the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler.
3. Leaks in exhaust emission system before turbine (e.g. broken bypass pipe of the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler).
4. Throttle valve faulty (in conjunction with faults on the throttle valve).
5. Exhaust-gas recirculation valve faulty (in conjunction with faults in the exhaust-gas recirculation valve).
6. Charging pressure controller faulty (in conjunction with faults in the charging pressure controller).

Appreciate 1
AndyW669.00
      04-24-2023, 04:36 PM   #3
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Definitely sounds like an air leak. My money on the root causes is your recent EGR Recall work.

Below is the service plan that comes back for the code 290900:

1. Air cleaner faulty.
Note: As of September 2011, air filter elements with increased tolerances were installed for N57D30O1 and N57D30T1, this can make the measured air mass appear too high, which leads to this fault. The faulty air filter elements have a thick grey fleece. These air filter elements must be replaced by a new filter element (thin white fleece).

2. Leaking bypass pipe of EGR cooler (pipe could be broken).

3. Exhaust gas recirculation cooler clogged.

4. Charge-air temperature sensor faulty (displays values that are too high, mostly without fault entry).

5. Exhaust gas pressure sensor before turbine faulty (in conjunction with the fault codes 27B900 and/or 4C83 and/or 28DE00 and/or 4990).

6. Charging pressure sensor faulty.

7. Leak in the air mass system:
After the compressor (in conjunction with faults 241200 or 4674 and/or 241300 or 4679).
The fault can also occur in combination with charging pressure control deviations. Such combinations are a sign that leaks in the air mass system after the compressor are the cause.
Oil patches are signs of leaks.
Check whether sealing rings on charge air hoses are rolled back or missing!

8. Exhaust-gas recirculation valve jams in closed position (in conjunction with the faults 272E00 or 4C9E and/or 255B00 or 40D4) or does not close correctly.

Below is the service plan that comes back for the code 240500:
1. Leak in the air mass system after the compressor.
2. Severe sooting in the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler.
3. Leaks in exhaust emission system before turbine (e.g. broken bypass pipe of the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler).
4. Throttle valve faulty (in conjunction with faults on the throttle valve).
5. Exhaust-gas recirculation valve faulty (in conjunction with faults in the exhaust-gas recirculation valve).
6. Charging pressure controller faulty (in conjunction with faults in the charging pressure controller).
Thx much. I'll start there. I've chased leaks on N54 and N55's before, just gotta learn the N57 path. Maybe my boost test gear for N54/N55 will fit. Would be great if it was just a loose connection.

Interestingly, they had to do the EGR recall twice because the first EGR valve stuck shut. I've also seem a very small coolant usage that I've suspected may be the new EGR cooler...now I'm wondering if this is all connected. EGR stuck shut threw very different codes and a notification so it's definitely not the same thing.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:44 PM   #4
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, two new codes added today in addition to the previous ones.

287800 Oxygen Sensor after catalytic converter, signal: Too low the event of partial load.

27F000 Air Mass System Charge Air hose: Leak detected

This makes me think the air leak hypothesis is spot on so I'll be chasing that down this week when I have time.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 10:48 PM   #5
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, this may be the EGR Cooler again! When I did the recall replacement I had no symptoms so didn't really scrutinize the SIB. Looking at it now, I have 3 of 4 expected codes plus some.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B01-05-20

Last edited by AndyW; 04-24-2023 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:47 AM   #6
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think you are on to something. I'd take it back to the dealer as it sounds like that N57 is gulping unmetered air. Some possible guesses are that the intake plenum may be leaking either from damage (EGR/coolant issue) or pinched gasket. Could also be a vacuum line(s).

You didn't change the air filter element recently did you?

Keep us posted with what you find.

Appreciate 1
AndyW669.00
      04-26-2023, 08:03 PM   #7
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you are on to something. I'd take it back to the dealer as it sounds like that N57 is gulping unmetered air. Some possible guesses are that the intake plenum may be leaking either from damage (EGR/coolant issue) or pinched gasket. Could also be a vacuum line(s).

You didn't change the air filter element recently did you?

Keep us posted with what you find.
I emailed my SA. No on the air filter. Replaced with a K&N at 42K.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:19 PM   #8
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, dealer determine small leak in the intake manifold and linked it to previous EGR issue, so they replaced the manifold free of charge. Matches symptoms so Happy about that. Unfortunately that explanation doesn't resolve the slow coolant leak issue and I just got my Blackstone results today with high sodium, indicating coolant getting to the oil. Ug. Gotta do some research.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:32 PM   #9
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
So, dealer determine small leak in the intake manifold and linked it to previous EGR issue, so they replaced the manifold free of charge. Matches symptoms so Happy about that. Unfortunately that explanation doesn't resolve the slow coolant leak issue and I just got my Blackstone results today with high sodium, indicating coolant getting to the oil. Ug. Gotta do some research.

The holes in your intake were caused by the EGR/coolant issue. Your new EGR cooler may have the same issue, hence the damage to the intake and traces of coolant in you oil samples.

I’d Show the dealer the oil report to get it on record and tell them your concerned that the EGR issue isn’t fixed.

Then pull another oil sample in the next 1k miles to see if sodium levels drop. Apparently Sodium is normal in Diesel oil, but high amounts can point to coolant.

Thanks for keeping the thread updated!
Appreciate 1
AndyW669.00
      05-04-2023, 08:49 PM   #10
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

other things that came to mind as possible explanation for increased sodium:

1) if your intake had air leaks from hole(s), that allowed for air to bypass the air filter and go straight into your engine.

2) which oil are you using and was it the same oil used for previous samples? It’s Possible that the high sodium is part of an additive package.

3) given the coolant is low, I still think the EGR cooler is suspect
Appreciate 1
AndyW669.00
      05-05-2023, 06:57 PM   #11
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The holes in your intake were caused by the EGR/coolant issue. Your new EGR cooler may have the same issue, hence the damage to the intake and traces of coolant in you oil samples.

I’d Show the dealer the oil report to get it on record and tell them your concerned that the EGR issue isn’t fixed.

Then pull another oil sample in the next 1k miles to see if sodium levels drop. Apparently Sodium is normal in Diesel oil, but high amounts can point to coolant.

Thanks for keeping the thread updated!
Thx. I expressed my concern to the SA and gave them a copy of the oil report. SA got back to me today and said it passed a coolant pressure test. So now a bit perplexed.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 06:58 PM   #12
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
other things that came to mind as possible explanation for increased sodium:

1) if your intake had air leaks from hole(s), that allowed for air to bypass the air filter and go straight into your engine.

2) which oil are you using and was it the same oil used for previous samples? It’s Possible that the high sodium is part of an additive package.

3) given the coolant is low, I still think the EGR cooler is suspect
Same oil. I also have suspicions about the EGR cooler. We'll see, I guess.

Appreciate 0