BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-01-2023, 12:57 PM   #111
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

It depends on your SA, but if I bring my car to the dealership in working condition without CEL, I expect it to be in the same condition without CEL when its ready. I simply won't pick the car until it is fixed.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 05:04 PM   #112
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Totally agree RED_Y_. Any car going in without a CEL only to come out with one, is poor form by the dealer. They break, they fix.

Especially considering the inconvenience associated with the recall and the long wait period to "remedy".

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #113
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikDS View Post
The same thing is happening to us...

If you are able to get 2c2200 figured out please pass along what you did. From another post online I’ve found it says that they should check the changeover valve to see if it is functioning. I believe that was on an F10 but still worth mentioning probably. I would like to think that both my normal mechanic as well as the dealer would have taken 5 minutes to google this or known to check that but I figure I’ll pass that along to them now as well. Best of luck to both of us…
Just finished bleeding the cooling system and going for a drive after switching out the changeover valve. The CEL will come on within a day or two if there is still a problem. It would clear itself randomly once or twice a week, but always come back on within 1 or 2 drives.

Will keep you updated if that fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 01:33 PM   #114
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
... I’m frustrated and can accept if it is a freak timing coincidence that this is happening at the same time as the recall but really wish that it wasn’t a weeks long issue to have no idea still. If you are able to get 2c2200 figured out please pass along what you did. From another post online I’ve found it says that they should check the changeover valve to see if it is functioning. I believe that was on an F10 but still worth mentioning probably. I would like to think that both my normal mechanic as well as the dealer would have taken 5 minutes to google this or known to check that but I figure I’ll pass that along to them now as well. Best of luck to both of us…
Just reporting in. The changeover valve did indeed fix the intermittent error code for coolant temp.

Best of luck with yours. Very disappointing that the dealers absolve themselves of this code immediately following the EGR recall. Mine did not come on in the parking lot as yours did... but in the next 2 days. Had I been in your shoes I might not have picked up the car until they came up with some sort of resolution. It went in without a CEL and I expect it back without one after recall work.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 11:11 PM   #115
MaverikDS
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35d; 16 GLE 300d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Just reporting in. The changeover valve did indeed fix the intermittent error code for coolant temp.

Best of luck with yours. Very disappointing that the dealers absolve themselves of this code immediately following the EGR recall. Mine did not come on in the parking lot as yours did... but in the next 2 days. Had I been in your shoes I might not have picked up the car until they came up with some sort of resolution. It went in without a CEL and I expect it back without one after recall work.
Thank you for the follow up. I’m late in posting mine. Changeover valve replaced and resolved. My SA had BMW corporate engineer come in and help advise as well. I did have to authorize a charge for that but they worked with me and I feel like it was fair. I wasn’t charged the full amount that I had to authorize (two hours of labor) but was charged for the parts. While they were in there they also suggested walnut blasting a different piece (sorry I’m not mechanical and don’t have the receipt in front of me) and removing the carbon from it. Very honest and said it’s not necessary but since were here we can and also switch out the pump below the changeover valve. He had the dealership eat a lot of the cost but told me that light did in fact come on before I had them do the EGR recall service as they pulled the date code for the CEL from the computer and said it was on at same time as the other. They cleared it in hopes of it being fine once EGR was done but that obviously wasn’t the case. In the end not thrilled that it happened and it’s one HECK of a coincidence but I don’t have any complaints about the way I was treated.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 09:22 AM   #116
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the follow up. I’m late in posting mine. Changeover valve replaced and resolved. My SA had BMW corporate engineer come in and help advise as well. I did have to authorize a charge for that but they worked with me and I feel like it was fair. I wasn’t charged the full amount that I had to authorize (two hours of labor) but was charged for the parts. While they were in there they also suggested walnut blasting a different piece (sorry I’m not mechanical and don’t have the receipt in front of me) and removing the carbon from it. Very honest and said it’s not necessary but since were here we can and also switch out the pump below the changeover valve. He had the dealership eat a lot of the cost but told me that light did in fact come on before I had them do the EGR recall service as they pulled the date code for the CEL from the computer and said it was on at same time as the other. They cleared it in hopes of it being fine once EGR was done but that obviously wasn’t the case. In the end not thrilled that it happened and it’s one HECK of a coincidence but I don’t have any complaints about the way I was treated.
Glad you got it sorted. I'm skeptical about the light coming on after you dropped it off, but before they started working on it. I have bad luck, but that might top even mine. At least they got you taken care of and completed some other nice preventative maintenance at a discounted cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 04:08 PM   #117
dcgh89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D 2015

Question EGR Cooler and EGR Valve Fault

Hi there,

I have a 2015 X5 M50d - BMW recently reached out and advised theres an EGR cooler recall due.

Booked the recall - they swapped the EGR Cooler, within 1 week the engine light came on and didnt go away.

Took it back in, scanned it said the "EGR Valve" has failed.... im by no stretch of the imagination mechanical - but when they told me with a straight face that there is absolutely no way that the EGR valve fault has anything to do with the recent EGR cooler swap I got the feeling im being ripped off here.

The cost to me was $1000 for a new EGR Valve - can anyone confirm or shed some light on the EGR valve and EGR cooler - whether ive been totally ripped off here
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 01:11 AM   #118
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Warranty

Here in the US there is an extended warranty on emission components that terminates once you exceed time OR mileage. Dig into the fine print of your country’s emissions regulations. The time/mileage frame for this emission components warranty is much longer than the “new vehicle” warranty that covers the rest of the vehicle. The shop you went to either knows you are ineligible due to the time/mileage and chose to not explain this or they hoped you would blindly just pay for a replacement.
Good luck, we here in the USA were very envious of choices of D’s never made available to us here. Enjoy yours, once it’s sorted.
      11-24-2023, 01:34 AM   #119
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
How did you get this information? BMW site says that remedy is still not available and my service advisor says they don't have any information yet.
Sorry for the delay responding to this: Until allocated replacements arrive at your dealer for your VIN any search will return the “unavailable” response. You’ll know your servicing dealer has YOUR vehicles parts when the letter arrives telling you to report to your dealer.

It was 4 years from the start of this recall until my X was properly addressed earlier this year.
      11-24-2023, 01:45 AM   #120
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
I guess here is the replacement part numbers
Nice catch digging this document up.
      11-24-2023, 02:05 AM   #121
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
Can you post a picture of the new part? Want to see if it's a pierburg
A choice needs to be made between the top 2 replacements on the RHEINMETTAL document. With well over 2 million needed it’s no wonder that this whole program has taken several years to address.
      11-27-2023, 02:46 PM   #122
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Sorry for the delay responding to this: Until allocated replacements arrive at your dealer for your VIN any search will return the “unavailable” response. You’ll know your servicing dealer has YOUR vehicles parts when the letter arrives telling you to report to your dealer.

It was 4 years from the start of this recall until my X was properly addressed earlier this year.
This doesn't not sound right to me, BMW does not track each car and ties it to particular vehicle. Once parts are available they sent you a letter and you need to contact BMW dealership of your choice and verify they have parts to complete the work. Also this recall was issued in November of 2021, and remedy became available in early 2023, so there is no way it took 4 years to properly address this.
Appreciate 0