BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

Weird question - Adaptive LED Lights

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a weird question and I hope I will be able to explain it in a way that is clear.

Ok so I have the Adaptive LED Headlights (great option by the way, well worth it and I simply love the way it looks and functions). So when I turn the headlights on in the standard way (turning the light switch all the way to the right) the light functions in full force with all the light components on. Not high beam just the normal light I mean.

When I put it in the Auto Setting (light switch to the left) I notice that there is a light component that is switched off. It is in the headlight on the driver's side. If you look at the headlight dead on, you would notice that the headlight is sub-divided into a few compartments which switch on and off depending on steering angle, etc. In the auto setting this one "bulb" I suppose remains off. In the normal setting (as described above) all compartments are lit.

Is this the norm?

I hope my question makes somewhat sense
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I'm pretty darn sure it's normal, because from what you stated, you tested this while stationary in your dark garage or outside at night. BMW states that the Adaptive LEDs adjust their light distribution automatically depending on the vehicle's speed and steering angle. So based on that, I would test this again with someone driving in front of you to capture what the lights look like with the knob turned all the way to the right and then turned to auto to see how the light changes when you are actually driving and turning.
      07-31-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

The auto system takes into account surrounding lights, so in a city the illumination is less than in total darkness, but in non auto mode it switches all on as requested, I also noticed this when driving a test vehicle. If you look at the lights from front I am pretty sure it will look odd as the anti dazzle system is working.
Appreciate 0