BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2023, 07:25 PM   #1
Mosstradamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Sunroof stuck open!!!

Hey all,

My sunroof is stuck open on one side. When I press the sunroof button I can hear it working but the back piece stays tilted open on one side. I tried a bunch of things I have read online to no avail. I am now at the point that I need to remove the overhead console to get to the allen key hole to manually close the sunroof. Been literally trying for a few hours but cant get it off. Any tips on getting the overhead console off on a 2016 X5. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 09:05 PM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

I assume it's the rear pano glass stuck open on one side as that is the usual culprit. You can put a screwdriver in the carrier hole on the open side (open the shades to expose all the carriers) and manually close it. I had to do the same on our 2015.

I haven't had the time to open it up and see if it is out of alignment or needs pars to fix.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2023, 09:37 PM   #3
Mosstradamus
Private First Class
Rep

Yes its the rear pano glass thats stuck open on one side. When you say put a screwdriver in the carrier hole and manually close it…do you just push it with the screwdriver, need to turn it. Appreciate the input but can you be more specefic on what to do. Thank you in advance, this has been a pain in the a$$
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 04:46 PM   #4
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosstradamus View Post
Yes its the rear pano glass thats stuck open on one side. When you say put a screwdriver in the carrier hole and manually close it…do you just push it with the screwdriver, need to turn it. Appreciate the input but can you be more specefic on what to do. Thank you in advance, this has been a pain in the a$$
Yeah, let me see if I can find a YouTube vid for you. Much easier than me trying to explain it, but basically each carrier has a small hole in the front. You can insert anything but I usually use a screwdriver (have 5 BMWs with pano roofs) to do it. I'll update this with pics or a video in a bit.

Here you go. This is demonstrated on an E70, but it's an identical procedure on the F15. For that matter it's identical on the E53, E61, E71, as well. You won't have to do both sides if only one of yours is stuck. And you won't have to use the allen key either. I never do. Only have to do that if both glass panels are stuck in vent mode.

How to close a stuck open pano roof.

Last edited by crystalworks; 02-19-2023 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2023, 05:34 PM   #5
Mosstradamus
Private First Class
Rep

Super helpful! I was able to get it closed. Problem was I was banging the thing in the wrong direction. Appreciate it very much!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:32 AM   #6
Alex312
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I’m late to this post but I’m having this exact same issue and I wanna try to put a screw driver in the carrier hole but I can’t open the panoramic sunroof cover is there a way to manually open the cover . I even tried to gain access to panoramic sunroof motor to try the hex screw method but I can’t even figure out how to gain access to it. I’ll provide photos of how far I made it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0