BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-10-2019, 10:58 PM   #1
drdavidge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Is the Driving Assistance Plus package worth it on a CPO X5?

Hey, been looking for a 2016-2017 CPO X5 but have been really picky about having the Driving Assistance Plus package due to the safety features. But the more I think about it, I'm not sure if it is necessary or not. Does this include the feature where the car will apply the brakes if it thinks you are about to hit anything? That's really the only feature I think is worth it from a safety point of view - blind spot detection is nice but I'm not going to stop looking back over my shoulder to check anyway so that makes me think it falls into a "nice to have" but not necessary category. It's been taking me a long time to find the perfect CPO one with the right features and this package is one that really limits the choices I've seen available. What are your thoughts?

Driving Assistance Plus
Active Blind Spot Detection
Active Driving Assistant
Side and Top View Cameras
Speed Limit Info
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
I have it. Not sure if cars brakes automatically - I’m not eager to try it

But I got it mostly for the active cruise control and I’m using it all the time.

P.s. if you care about safety that much - I recommend replacing mirror glasses with European ones - you will see much more without need of shoulder checks and your eyes will be always on the road.
      08-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
jayy178
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe / 2014 535i

I got it mostly for blind spot detection. The 360 top view is also nice for parking although I rarely use it
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:16 AM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

I’m glad I have it. Came in handy in the I80 parking lot today back from the Bay Area.
      08-11-2019, 02:21 AM   #5
Markbebb
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 4d m

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavidge View Post
Hey, been looking for a 2016-2017 CPO X5 but have been really picky about having the Driving Assistance Plus package due to the safety features. But the more I think about it, I'm not sure if it is necessary or not. Does this include the feature where the car will apply the brakes if it thinks you are about to hit anything? That's really the only feature I think is worth it from a safety point of view - blind spot detection is nice but I'm not going to stop looking back over my shoulder to check anyway so that makes me think it falls into a "nice to have" but not necessary category. It's been taking me a long time to find the perfect CPO one with the right features and this package is one that really limits the choices I've seen available. What are your thoughts?

Driving Assistance Plus
Active Driving Assistant
Speed Limit Info
I don't have it and my 2017 flashed a red car In the hud and makes a loud noise if it thinks I'm going to crash (or if I go round a bend and it senses and parked car on the bend) 😐 . I think the next step after the warning is to put the brakes on. Most of the time it's very good.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavidge View Post

Driving Assistance Plus
Active Driving Assistant
Speed Limit Info
Necessary? No, none of the things above are "necessary"...but if they are safety features you desire to have in a vehicle...then its all about what YOU want on a car you drive.

You can easily google and find the "2016 ordering and pricing guide PDF" to find out what was specifically included in the 2016 Driving Assistance & Driving Assistance Plus packages. This package changed and more options were added as the production proceeded. I have a 2017 pricing ordering guide...and the DAP package does include "city mitigation" (braking at certain speeds to help mitigate a collision by applying the brakes).

My 2013 F06 GC has some of the safety features you listed...but at that time "city mitigation" hadn't debuted yet...but the collision warning option does give the visual "red car" and audible warnings...but instead of activating the brakes...it pre-charges the brakes so that when you do press the brake pedal...their reaction time is quicker.

I do have some of the things in your list...and again, I wouldn't say they are "necessary"...but are nice to have options and I do use most of them:
  • Active blind spot (I also upgraded to the Euro wide angle mirrors, too and highly recommend that upgrade)
  • Side and top view cameras
  • Speed limit info

The one feature I don't use in the Active Driving Assistant package is the "lane departure warning". Personally, I have no problem staying within my lane while driving...so I turned that off within the first week of ownership. Having those lines appear in the HUD and instrument cluster where useless (for me)...but there are others that swear by this feature...I guess they need assistance staying between the lines...for reasons I somehow don't comprehend.

So its really a personal/subjective decision to make. If these options are something you desire...then stick with your plan. Only you know how important they are to you. Just like my example above about the lane departure warning...I find it totally useless...but others love it.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-11-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

when I built my 2015, I chose not to include any Driving Assistance, and I don't miss it

I did include the 360 (overhead) camera and it is very useful

I did upgrade to euro wide angle side mirrors and they are very useful

I never (in any car) have regularly used cruise control

I do believe in the concept of "moral hazard"

Fed Bailout NY Times 2008

Does Narcan encourage addiction?

Dutch increasing traffic uncertainty and improving safety

“When you treat people like idiots, they’ll behave like idiots.” That was the philosophy of Hans Monderman, the Dutch traffic engineer who became famous not for what he added to road design and urban planning, but for what he removed: curbs, traffic signals, signs. He believed drivers become more alert and cautious when there's more uncertainty on the road.

Last edited by wearenh; 08-11-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

It's better to have safety features available than not, whether you ludite or a normal human.

Now, the BMW implementation of some of them is not the best one - like blind spot or radar cruise,- but again, it's 2019 and why not use the fruits of tech progress.

But yeah, there always will be people who miss the simplier times of hand cranking...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

I like having the extras even though on this car I only have Driving Assistant, not plus. I don't really use them that often and leave them on all the time, except the lane departure. I turn that off as most of my driving is city, and to me, the brakes vibrating as a warning would just wear them out faster. On previous cars I rarely used the radar cruise.

I Google searched for the EU side mirrors...best place to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
I have it. Not sure if cars brakes automatically - I’m not eager to try it

But I got it mostly for the active cruise control and I’m using it all the time.

P.s. if you care about safety that much - I recommend replacing mirror glasses with European ones - you will see much more without need of shoulder checks and your eyes will be always on the road.

Last edited by parkstr8; 08-12-2019 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Yes, with Plus the car will brake in emergency, after alert/beeping.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstr8 View Post
I Google searched for the EU side mirrors...best place to buy?
Go to the Euro side of one of the online part database sites...then select for your model/model year etc and go to the mirror diagrams to get the correct 11 digit BMW part nbr for the mirror that is correct for your option codes (unless you are willing to forgo any of them). The last two pairs I purchased (for the e53 & f06) were EC (auto dimming) & heated...so they cost a bit more than just the plain mirrors or just the heated versions.

Then shop (google) using that part nbr...ie type BMW xx xx x xxx xxx (where x=the actual BMW part nbr). I

I was able to find the wide angle mirrors for my e34/e38/e39 state side. But the ones for my e53 and f06 I found sellers in Riga Latvia (e53) and Berlin Germany (f06) through eBay or Amazon.com (I forget which...or it might have been both).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-12-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I personally don't care, it was a request from my wife to have blind spot sensors since she occasionally drives my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh View Post

I did upgrade to euro wide angle side mirrors and they are very useful

here are some that are available on eBay

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #14
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

I will not buy a car without it. Saved me a few times when the car ahead slowed down substantially and I was yawning/sneezing.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Plus is harder to find on the 35i. If you can get it with it, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #16
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I don't have the plus, but I can tell you that the blind spot on my x5 is very underwhelming compared to any other car I have owned. I have to look right at the light to see if it is even lit as it is not bright enough to show in my peripheral vision like every other car I have had and it does not always light up when someone is in it. It uses some algorithm to know when to light. Like if you pass someone it thinks you should know they are there, so it does not light, but if they come up from behind you it will - like that. I know people get butthurt when you say the BMW system is not the best, but my personal opinion is that this is the worse blind detection I have ever used.

The lane departure is terrible and I turned it off. I think it works as it should, but it goes off so much it just numbs you to it. If you do not allow your land change blinker to make a full blink cycle before you start to change lanes, it vibrates. If you go thru a corner at 80 mph and get too close to the line - it goes off. Stuff like that. Very annoying to me, so I turn it off.

LOVE the HUD - which you can get separately. I was not looking for it, but I am glad I got it and I would want it again and pay extra for it.

I do wish I would have held out for the active cruise control however. I chose one with the ventilated seats over the ACC and regret it. The ventilated seats are nothing special and I really would have used the ACC a LOT.

Oh well - something to hold out for on the next one!

Good luck!