BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

BMW X5/Porsche Cayenne cross shopping

I initially was ready to purchase a vehicle and test drove the new ML and Cayenne. As nice as the ML was, it drove too big and the tall dashboard was just something I was not going to get used to. The seats were also very average and not that comfortable. Quiet, great cabin isolation and very smooth diesel. Very non-fatiguing to drive.

The 2013 Porsche diesel was, was very fun to drive. Looks are pretty good and the interior is beatiful with the two tone leathers. The porsche seats (middle tier) incredibly comfortable. Cabin isolation was just fair to good, as tire/road noise and buffeting wind was just subtly present? Feels like a sports car, nimble, and turns like it is on rails. Maybe a bit more fatigung on a long drive compared to the ML(?). The tech on the car is good (but not as up to date as the BMW). Is it me or is the Cayenne dashboard starting to look a bit dated? The diesel engine was not quite as smooth or refined as the ML. I know it has a classic Porsche look... If I buy the Porsche it has high maintenance costs, insurance etc...

So 6 months ago I decided to patiently waiting for the 2015 Cayenne facelifted diesel coming as early as this summer. It is rumored to be getting a new 6 cylinder 300+ hp Audi diesel! Also new lights and bumpers, traffic sign detection, led headlights. The dealer is 40 minutes away. A totally new Cayenne is coming in 2017. So in 2-3 years the 2015 will be a last gen model. I plan on keeping it 7- 10 years.

Now the curveball...the 2014 BMW is released. Very refined, nice looking outside (I think) and very nice looking inside. Seats are very good, but I hope the multi contours are (better) and as comfortable as the Porsche seats. The road isolation is excellent and the cabin very quiet. Seems very non fatiguing to drive. I love the updated tech on the new X5 (360 camera, infrared camera, TJA, HUD...) The X5 drives smaller than the ML, but larger than the Cayenne.

The BMW is more fun to drive than the ML but not quite as exciting as the Cayenne. As much as I like the Cayenne's handling, (even with the base suspension and 19s) I like a comfortable ride as well. The Porsche seemed to do both right. The BMW surprisingly absorbed bumps/potholes no better than the Porsche. The BMW I drove had 19s with M Sport standard suspension (edit). The ML gave a smoother ride than both the Cayenne and BMW. I would wait for the diesel engine if I go with the BMW. The BMW seems to be right in between the ML and Porsche in every way. I guess that is the BMW target anyway. The BMW dealer is 10 minutes away.

Something tells me the 4 model year old Cayenne is going to get a bit long in the tooth compared to the new X5. What do you all think...especially those that have owned or test drove both vehicles? Logic says go with the BMW, as it is more current and has a bit of everything..., but my heart says go with the Porsche. I would appreciate any opinions and feedback.

Last edited by SUV55; 11-09-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

The multi contour seats are definitely a big improvement over standard and even over the sport seats. Can't speak to the comparisons to the Cayenne, as I didn't look at it other than online.

Did the X5 you drove have the suspension upgrades, DHP, etc? Just wondering if that would help it stay on par with the Cayenne's handling.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It was an M Sport. I don't think it had the optional suspension. I have heard the Multi contour seats are excellent p, but I have never seen them. Do they look any different than the sport seats?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55
It was an M Sport. I don't think it had the optional suspension. I have heard the Multi contour seats are excellent p, but I have never seen them. Do they look any different than the sport seats?
On the F15 I believe the stitching is different but shape the same, except the headrest, which you can pinch in around your head like a neck pillow.. But beyond that, they have so many extra adjustments, you can basically form fit the seats to your body. I had them on an E70 a few years ago and loved them. The sport seats are already fantastic, however, just not as amazing. We ordered an M Sport so stuck with the sport seats. Had we done an x-line (no sport seats), I would have absolutely done the multi contours.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^ I love the updated tech on the vehicle.

I went to see Cayenne. Other than the blind spot detection, and rear camera the X5 has much more cameras/ tech. Did not bother to test drive it, as the camera/tech was most important for me. Same day bought the X5, also did not test drive E70.

So as you stated, BMW for tech, Cayenne for excitement. How to objectively measure the two?

FWIW, a friend traded in two 2013's, Cayenne hybrid and X6M. Replacement was 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. Hybrid was power deficient for him. Also, 2nd P car and discount was only a tad over $5k.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can multi contour seats be ordered with an M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Can multi contour seats be ordered with an M Sport?
Yes $900 in US
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 xdrive50i

I've never driven the cayenne, but the old design doesn't do anything for me. I've known 1 person that has owned one, and he said he would never buy another one. The maintenance on it was terrible and quite costly. Went with bmw for no headaches.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Coming from 3 X5 in a row I was on the fence and decided to try the Cayenne. It was a nice car but it felt like an upgraded Touareg. Again, amazing car but the X5 is unique in terms of design and it is not an upgraded version of a cheaper brand. Also what bothers me on the Cayenne is that every model looks different since it seems they change the front lights every 3 months. I don't like those LED lights in little squares. But again, I was ready to give it a try. Things changed when I priced a 2014 X5 and a 2014 Cayenne with similar options and almost the same MSRP. Then I asked for a leasing quote. OMG!!!! Again, same MSRP, 12k miles and 36 months and I got a $3K down and around $750/month for the X5 vs. $6k down and $1150/month for the Cayenne. That made me stick with the BMW. There is no way to beat their leasing offer.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971
Then I asked for a leasing quote. OMG!!!! Again, same MSRP, 12k miles and 36 months and I got a $3K down and around $750/month for the X5 vs. $6k down and $1150/month for the Cayenne. That made me stick with the BMW. There is no way to beat their leasing offer.
It's crazy. Even VW can't beat BMW lease prices, let alone Audi or Porsche. I took a look at 2013 touaregs and despite huge discounts, they were leasing in X5 territory, despite sticker and purchase prices over $10k less. Don't know if it is their residuals or rates or both, but they just don't lease as well, not even close.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

All excellent feeback. Thank you. BMWMN, what was the MSRP of the BMW for that price? sounds like a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Drive the Toureg; forget the Cayenne, even the Toureg runs circles around the X5. No contest......if only they had more options.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

MSRP was $65,725 but final price was $62,275. $3,450 down including first payment, all sales taxes, fees, registration. Monthly payment is close to $765/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
All excellent feeback. Thank you. BMWMN, what was the MSRP of the BMW for that price? sounds like a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
Drive the Toureg; forget the Cayenne, even the Toureg runs circles around the X5. No contest......if only they had more options.
From someone who has owned many VWs...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
It is hard to see the 445 hp X5 Msport with dynamic handling package being outrun and manhandled by the 280 hp Toureg. But, I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
It is hard to see the 445 hp X5 Msport with dynamic handling package being outrun and manhandled by the 280 hp Toureg. But, I could be wrong.
i forgot this site has a lot of fanboys; but drive the toureg; it handles like on rails. The amount of confidence it gives the driver is unparalleled; the only downside as I said is that all the other German SUVs have a lot more features. This was the main reason I went with the X5; it has the most features offered to date
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower
Quote:
i forgot this site has a lot of fanboys; but drive the toureg; it handles like on rails. The amount of confidence it gives the driver is unparalleled; the only downside as I said is that all the other German SUVs have a lot more features. This was the main reason I went with the X5; it has the most features offered to date
What makes you think that I am a BMW fanboy?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower
Quote:
"Runs circles," "unparalleled," sounds like you're the fanboy, for VW. The Touareg is an excellent SUV, a true driver's SUV at a great value (unless you want to lease it ). Better than the X5? No. As good in some ways, sure. Not better and certainly not "unparalleled."
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Along the lines of the Touareg is the Audi SQ5. Reviews on its handling are positive and it looks fun to drive. I'd assume its VW's upmarket Touareg. Still though I think I want something in the X5's size. And I agree with your post.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
"Runs circles," "unparalleled," sounds like you're the fanboy, for VW. The Touareg (you may want to spell it right if you want to be taken as the authority) is an excellent SUV, a true driver's SUV at a great value (unless you want to lease it ). Better than the X5? No. As good in some ways, sure. Not better and certainly not "unparalleled."
I am sorry that my spelling skills are suspect on this forum. I left out a vowel in the name. I apologize, but have ANY of you driven the gen 2? That truck is rock solid, just like its Cayenne sister. And yes, I am a VW fan, the most problem free vehicles i have ever owned, my 335 was not up to the mark, to say the least...
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #21
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am sorry that my spelling skills are suspect on this forum. I left out a vowel in the name. I apologize, but have ANY of you driven the gen 2? That truck is rock solid, just like its Cayenne sister. And yes, I am a VW fan, the most problem free vehicles i have ever owned, my 335 was not up to the mark, to say the least...
I already felt bad about that, it's an awful name in the first place, and I removed that comment from my post. My apologies for the sarcasm.

Yes, I drove the current Touareg and was very impressed. But you are romanticizing it a bit. It is rock solid, yes, as is the X5. My cousin is a die hard VW fan also, and problem free is not a word he would ever utter in relation to the touareg, other VW's, yes, GTI's, R32's, etc.. He too loves the touareg, yet has never pulled the trigger on one due to their history of issues. Not that BMW is the picture of reliability either... He also, fwiw, was in love with my E70 X5 and that, not the touareg, is his 'dream suv.'
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I already felt bad about that, it's an awful name in the first place, and I removed that comment from my post. My apologies for the sarcasm.

Yes, I drove the current Touareg and was very impressed. But you are romanticizing it a bit. It is rock solid, yes, as is the X5. My cousin is a die hard VW fan also, and problem free is not a word he would ever utter in relation to the touareg, other VW's, yes, GTI's, R32's, etc.. He too loves the touareg, yet has never pulled the trigger on one due to their history of issues. Not that BMW is the picture of reliability either... He also, fwiw, was in love with my E70 X5 and that, not the touareg, is his 'dream suv.'
Cayenne S would be perfect for me.

Nice exhaust, beautiful exterior, great interior, and only about 80k or so. I dig it. Its better than having that X5 exposed black plastic wheel arches (and the weird line that comes with them), or the plastic "intake" of the M Sport. Cayenne is very classy.
Appreciate 0