BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2022, 08:53 PM   #1
lizzzzie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 x5

2014 x5 Auto Door Lock

In my settings I have selected to auto lock when all doors are closed. I was told it would lock when I walk away. Yes? No? With my old vehicle I use to lock the doors from the interior door lock before I walked away (thus never having to take the key out of my purse) but I can't do that on the '14 X5.

Is there any other way to lock the doors besides using the key? This is a new car to me and my first BMW.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by lizzzzie; 10-26-2022 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzzzie View Post
In my settings I have selected to auto lock when all doors are closed. I was told it would lock when I walk away. Yes? No? With my old vehicle I use to lock the doors from the interior door lock before I walked away (thus never having to take the key out of my purse) but I can't do that on the '14 X5.
TIA
Can you be more specific or post a pic of the setting in iDrive that you selected?

The 2014 doesn't have proximity sensors for auto lock/unlock as you walk up to or away from the vehicle...that didn't come about until around 2018.

There is an owners manual embedded in iDrive that is really easy to use due to it having multiple search features and it even has some videos you can watch. If there is a feature that you need to know more about or find if you have it...it will be in the iDrive version since it covers the options and features the vehicle came with. If your car doesn't have a specific option, the iDrive version will skip this info.

If you have the Comfort Access option, you can lock/unlock the vehicle by touching the door handle (ridges to lock & inside handle to unlock). Or you can use the remote fob...which also has a metal key blade embedded to unlock the driver's door if there is a loss of electrical power.

BMWs have had an anti-lock out feature for decades which will NOT allow you to LOCK the vehicle if the driver's door is open...so no, you will not be able to lock the vehicle from the inside prior to exiting...the driver's door needs to be closed before you can lock the vehicle.

If someone told you that you could walk away from your 2014 X5 and it would automatically unlock...they misinformed you. Again, that is something that the newer G30 generation X5 can do, but not a 2014 F15 X5.

Again, the owners manual embedded in iDrive should cover Comfort Access (if you have this option)...or cover central locking of the vehicle. The iDrive version of the owners manual gives you a:
  1. Quick Reference
  2. Search by Pictures
  3. (reg) Owners Manual (that is searchable)

In fact, there is an animated explanation (aka "video") that describes the function of Comfort Access...found in the Search by Picture feature (see #10 selection in images below). My 2014 X5 has 15 "animated explanations" (videos) based on how it is optioned:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-28-2022 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
CatalinP589.50