BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Summer tire recommendations 20"

I have a 2016 X5 s Drive with the 20 inch staggered set up. When I bought the car it had the Bridgestone duel or summer tires on it. The front tires are still OK the back tires have cut pretty badly on the inside and need to be replaced.

I like how the car drives honestly it has decent handling and good grip for a heavy SUV although I've read a lot of negative reviews regarding these specific tires.

The car is primarily driven by my wife and I would prefer to stick with run flats. I know they can be benefits switch into a non-runflat tire but I don't want her to get stranded so I'm going to replace with a runflat tire I'm debating about just buying another set for the rears since it matches the front I've also considered swapping to something else and buying different tires for the back and then in about six months when the fronts finally go buying a set for the front to match whatever I put on the rear but I wasn't sure if that would be really a bad idea to have mismatch tires on the front and rear axles or if it really wouldn't make much of a difference for the next six months or so.

If I switch to a different make model tire I'm curious what you all would recommend and I'm curious as to what your guys thoughts are on mismatch in the rear axle to the front axle. I know you should never have different tires on the left or the right but I didn't think it was as big of a deal if the front axle and rear axle didn't match as long as what's on the left and the right on each axle are the same?

I live in Southern California so I don't need all seasons and I have a separate dedicated set of wheels with snow tires for my occasional trip up to the mountains for snowboarding... so whatever I put on the car is purely for comfort handling in the dry and occasional rain
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
If I switch to a different make model tire I'm curious what you all would recommend and I'm curious as to what your guys thoughts are on mismatch in the rear axle to the front axle.
Great idea if you want to get rid of your wife.
      01-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Not sure if you can get them Stateside, but I've been really happy with my Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV's...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

I need to buy new tires for our X6 as well. It came with Pirelli P Zero Run Flats. Since it is primarily my wife's car, I will likely stay with Run Flats and leaning towards the Pirelli's again. Wish there were more choices.

Anyone have experience with the Continentals vs Pirelli's?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I need to buy new tires for our X6 as well. It came with Pirelli P Zero Run Flats. Since it is primarily my wife's car, I will likely stay with Run Flats and leaning towards the Pirelli's again. Wish there were more choices.

Contis are quieter and live up to twice as long as Pirelli.
      01-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
My 14 X5d had Contis - they lasted me 36K miles (with more miles left), but they became more an more noisy after 20k. Noisy as in a whomp whomp whomp whomp. The shoulders of the sidewalls were definitely soft as well and they were prone to feather upwards. That feathering only increased the tire noise going down the road.

My 17 X5d has Pirellis - currently with 24K miles on them and the wear bars are still below the tread-line. They are becoming more noisy, much like the Contis' whomp whomp. The shoulders are, however, much firmer and are not showing the same signs of feathering. In my opinion, the Pirellis handle better and absorb the bumps well.

When I buy tires again in the next 3-5K miles, I will be opting for the Pirellis.

Also worth noting, the Pirellis include a road hazard replacement policy from the manufacturer. I learned about this during my first year of ownership after a piece of metal slashed into my passenger front sidewall. Pirelli sent me, via tire rack, a brand new tire.

Warranty Quote
"If a Run Flat or PNCS tire becomes unserviceable due to road hazard damage within the first year from the date of purchase, or within the first 2/32” of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the Pirelli tire will be replaced with an identical or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner"

Last edited by Clifton; 01-06-2020 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
My 14 X5d had Contis - they lasted me 36K miles (with more miles left), but they became more an more noisy after 20k. Noisy as in a whomp whomp whomp whomp. The shoulders of the sidewalls were definitely soft as well and they were prone to feather upwards. That feathering only increased the tire noise going down the road.

My 17 X5d has Pirellis - currently with 24K miles on them and the wear bars are still below the tread-line. They are becoming more noisy, much like the Contis' whomp whomp. The shoulders are, however, much firmer and are not showing the same signs of feathering. In my opinion, the Pirellis handle better and absorb the bumps well.

When I buy tires again in the next 3-5K miles, I will be opting for the Pirellis.

Also worth noting, the Pirellis include a road hazard replacement policy from the manufacturer. I learned about this during my first year of ownership after a piece of metal slashed into my passenger front sidewall. Pirelli sent me, via tire rack, a brand new tire.

Warranty Quote
"If a Run Flat or PNCS tire becomes unserviceable due to road hazard damage within the first year from the date of purchase, or within the first 2/32” of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the Pirelli tire will be replaced with an identical or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner"
Interesting information on the Pirelli Manufacturer Warranty. I have purchased from Tire Rack but for convenience I like to go through Discount Tire. Much easier to get a tire replaced when they fail. I always add the hazard coverage but since they price match Tire Rack and tire rack includes road hazard insurance, I don't pay extra for it, I don't think. It may not give me an extra warranty advantage.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Shameless plug: I have a set of the Bridgestones for sale if anyone wants them (9/32" tread depth measurement).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #9
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I plan on buying a new set of tires this month. My typical options are tire rack or discount tire. In talking to discount tire, they will match tire rack. I asked, will they include thier free road hazard protection. They answered that is standard and the Certificate For Repair, Refund or Replacement is in addition and beyond that. Discount mentioned the steps and hassle required to process that and offer a certificate, at a charge, in addition to that.

IS it worth it? I have used it in the past and it has paid off and is simple to use. I even added it to two tires I had purchased from tire rack.

https://www.discounttire.com/custome...e/certificates

Thoughts? I like the convenience but am not sure of the value. Is it worth it?

Quote:

Warranty Quote
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
IS it worth it? I have used it in the past and it has paid off and is simple to use. I even added it to two tires I had purchased from tire rack.

https://www.discounttire.com/custome...e/certificates

Thoughts? I like the convenience but am not sure of the value. Is it worth it?
That's a tough question, is it worth it.

When I had to swap out my damaged tire, no shop in town had even heard that Pirelli tires came with a road hazard warranty; especially on factory installed tires. TireRack was the only one who would honor the warranty. My cost was to pay return shipping for the old tire (~$30). They sent me an UPS call tag and I just left the old tire on my front porch (super classy for a day).

Discount tire mount and balanced they new one for $23.

Also worth noting...Tire Rack can shave your new tire to match the tread depth of your current set of tires. Yes, it seems silly to pay to remove life from your tire, but it eliminates the concern of new vs. old tire diameter for complex all-wheel drive systems.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #11
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a tough question, is it worth it.

When I had to swap out my damaged tire, no shop in town had even heard that Pirelli tires came with a road hazard warranty; especially on factory installed tires. TireRack was the only one who would honor the warranty. My cost was to pay return shipping for the old tire (~$30). They sent me an UPS call tag and I just left the old tire on my front porch (super classy for a day).

Discount tire mount and balanced they new one for $23.

Also worth noting...Tire Rack can shave your new tire to match the tread depth of your current set of tires. Yes, it seems silly to pay to remove life from your tire, but it eliminates the concern of new vs. old tire diameter for complex all-wheel drive systems.
I just had A set of Pirelli’s mounted and decided to get the extra coverage. It has more than paid for itself the last few sets. I drove down to Portland so no sales tax, almost broke even. Then dropped it off at a Portland shop for a complete aftermarket sound system upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #12
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Tires

Look on classifieds there are several sets for sell at a great price .
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #13
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Wife and I both got Bridgestone Duellers with our 50is, pretty decent rft summer tires IMO. I thought they had to be pretty shitty since the dealer sold them with the cars, but I've read good things about them.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
DJ1007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 Msport + MPPK

Quote:

The p zero are so much firmer than the contis. I was shocked. I had 20” staggered and even with brand new Pirellis they are hard but firm in turns. When I switch tires to Conti I was so impressed with how smooth they were and much more quiet. Took turns well and small pot holes too. Just mu opinion but big noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0