BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Manatee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport (F15)

Traffic Jam Assist - Road Test

Drove back this afternoon/evening from Warrington to Surrey - about 200 miles of stop start traffic most of the way with only the M6 toll as temporary relief.

For non-UK people the M6 then M1 and then M25 motorways is probably one of worst combinations/routes to attempt on a Friday late afternoon with everyone heading home for the weekend etc.

Anyway, gave the ACC and the TJA a real workout for the first time. Have to say it was almost like having a driver - really took the stress out of driving in those traffic conditions. I even learnt that I could flick the ACC speed set switch to get moving again after a full stop (rather than touching the gas pedal).

Only annoying thing was having to hold the steering wheel using TJA - so 4 hours of idle time was spent trying to find a position where a single finger would trigger the sensor couldn't fool the darn thing.

Anyone know if I can code this feature out?

Last edited by Manatee; 07-11-2014 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

I don't know about a code, but my car is one of several where the steering wheel sensor never worked...And I never have to hold the steering wheel ! so there had to be a trick somewhere...disconnect the cabling ? Glue the sensor ?
I just love this malfunction and will never have it repaired....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Manatee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
I don't know about a code, but my car is one of several where the steering wheel sensor never worked...And I never have to hold the steering wheel ! so there had to be a trick somewhere...disconnect the cabling ? Glue the sensor ?
Anyone know where the sensor is (and what it senses)?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee
Quote:
Anyone know where the sensor is (and what it senses)?
In the steering wheel itself. If i'm not mistaken it works by identifying differences in frequency of vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
In not 100% it's the sensor that is failing/disabled. I've coded the sensor out and it disables the TJA entirely, so it's 'possibly' another coding setting. That said finding it is easier said than done. Don't suppose you know how to code? Would really like to do a comparison of your cars cafd/ncd files for ICM and the KaFAS2 modules. Maybe even BCD too.
Appreciate 0