United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Here's what BMW USA told me today.

The M Sport has adaptive sport suspension and with NO rear seat, is simply a type of progressive and more sport-like spring/shock set up - the sport button has no affect to the suspension. If you get the rear seat, you get rear air shocks for the rear of the car to make up for any additional weight, so the car maintains control - this is automatic and not controllable from the cockpit. For $900 more, you can get the dynamic handling package that is activated by the switch inside and has two settings. In addition, each corner of the car has computer adjusted shocks, depending on the setting, cornering, body roll (adjustable sway bar), accel and so on. This is the only option where the sport button affects the ride of the car.

The luxury line without any suspension package gets the softest, non-adaptive ride.

PS - it took three people to explain it to me and I'm not completely confident in the above, but it seems to make the most sense.
I'm not completely confident in the above either. In fact now I'm more confused. First of all I don't think the dynamic handling package is the same as the Adaptive M suspension. Second , it's not a $900 option, but $4500 according to bmwusa.com !
I was told by my sales manager that he has the adaptive M suspension in his 3 series GT and it DOES make a difference when switching modes. I also spoke to a BMW Genius while at the dealer, and he confirmed it too.
It seems people are getting lots of different variations of answers . Sigh...
Yes!!

I'm very upset because then why out the comfort, sport and sport plus?!! It's useless!!!! Why do I need a steering wheel that becomes rigid when the suspension is all soft, it's not like I can drive it as I want because you feel all the movement!! Side to side!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #46
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Here is my build:
42pilot, look at your window sticker. If you don't have a line item "Adaptive M Suspension" for $900 then it's not there.. See example screenshot (I drove this X5 at Ultimate Drive Event)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #47
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikikuki7 View Post
I'm very upset because then why out the comfort, sport and sport plus?!! It's useless!!!! Why do I need a steering wheel that becomes rigid when the suspension is all soft, it's not like I can drive it as I want because you feel all the movement!! Side to side!
Are you referring to body roll? If so, then what you needed was anti-roll stabilization, not adaptive M suspension. ARS is in the $4500 DHP. Pricy, yet good.

If you have the adaptive M suspension, but not the ARS, you can stiffen (sport) or soften (comfort) your suspension, but the system won't actively attempt to prevent body roll. However, you will get less in sport because its not bouncy like comfort, but with ARS, its Considerably less.

Lets take a look at everything (and why you want it )

BMW has some nice videos about adaptive drive for the E70. AD is electronic damper control + active roll stabilization. The interesting thing is that the Adaptive M suspension is only the electronic damper control part of that equation.

Here is a video that shows what EDC does. In this video, ARS is called 'dynamic drive':

Active roll stabilization controls body roll:

Here's an interesting technical-like video on the forces at play:

The dynamic handling package gives you dynamic performance control and ARS (and I think some have said here that if you don't order the MSport package, it also has the EDC). Here is a long-winded, yet very informative description of DPC from Wikipedia:

"BMW's Dynamic Performance Control torque-vectoring system works in unison with xDrive all-wheel drive and Dynamic Stability Control. DPC is a drivetrain and chassis control system that works to regulate traction and especially correct over- and understeer by actively spreading out drive forces across the rear axle. Torque is split not only between the front and rear wheels (xDrive) but also from side to side at the rear for improved agility and added stability (through the DPC rear axle). DPC works at all speeds and normal driving, not just during hard cornering, in order to steer the car. DPC also interfaces with DSC to initially try to correct the vehicle's path using torque vectoring which results in smooth turns, whereas DSC by itself would only reduce engine power and apply the brakes to steer the vehicle.

The DPC differential features clutch packs on both output sides that are actuated by an electric motor. The clutch pack activates a planetary gearset which causes one wheel to be overdriven. A conventional control system will use the brakes to reduce the speed of the faster-moving wheel (which is the one with less traction) and reduce engine power. This leads to increased brake wear and slower than optimal progress. In contrast, the DPC system speeds up the slower moving wheel (the one with the most traction) in order to maintain stability when needed. For example, while turning, the outer wheel is overdriven to provide greater acceleration, using the traction advantage through the dynamic loading of the outboard wheel in cornering. Meanwhile, in an oversteer situation, the inner wheel is overdriven to regain traction balance.

The first application of DPC was introduced on the BMW X6, which began production in 2008 as a 2009 model, where it is a standard equipment. A test found that 'the X6 feels hundreds of pounds lighter on its feet than an X5 [without DPC]' due to the benefit of DPC even though both vehicles have similar chassis dimensions. The BMW X5 M high performance variant also has standard DPC."

Ohhh...DPC sounds good, eh? It is.

Slap EDC, ARS, and DPC on that puppy and you have the ultimate giant driving machine.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #48
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

But you can't order DPC/DHP with 3rd row correct? If so why not? Is that mean then that X5M will not have the 3rd row as an option lol
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #49
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
But you can't order DPC/DHP with 3rd row correct? If so why not? Is that mean then that X5M will not have the 3rd row as an option lol
Adding a 3rd row adds self-leveling suspension to the rear. That does not preclude either the adaptive M suspension or the DHP.

Here's the skinny:

4UB 3rd row seat + rear axle air suspension
4UB will add 4NC to the order
4UB cannot be ordered with 300
4UB cannon be ordered with LCMY, ZDI or ZMD

Exclusions:
300 Space-saver spare
LCMY Mocha Dakota Leather
ZDI Ivory White Interior Design Package
ZMD Mocha Interior Design Package

Adaptive M suspension is 2VS and Dynamic Handling Package is ZDH (ARS+DPC). Neither one of those is excluded. If they're excluding it, its a secret that isn't on the ordering sheet.

I had adaptive drive on an E70 with 3rd row. So that was basically Adaptive M + active roll stabalization (1/2 ZDH). If they don't let you get DPC (the other 1/2 ZDH), you would think that you at least could get 2VS.

I don't think that you can get a 3rd row in an X5M because they don't want to have to tune the car twice. They probably wouldn't sell a lot of 3rd rows in X5Ms anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #50
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Adding a 3rd row adds self-leveling suspension to the rear. That does not preclude either the adaptive M suspension or the DHP.

Here's the skinny:

4UB 3rd row seat + rear axle air suspension
4UB will add 4NC to the order
4UB cannot be ordered with 300
4UB cannon be ordered with LCMY, ZDI or ZMD

Exclusions:
300 Space-saver spare
LCMY Mocha Dakota Leather
ZDI Ivory White Interior Design Package
ZMD Mocha Interior Design Package

Adaptive M suspension is 2VS and Dynamic Handling Package is ZDH (ARS+DPC). Neither one of those is excluded. If they're excluding it, its a secret that isn't on the ordering sheet.

I had adaptive drive on an E70 with 3rd row. So that was basically Adaptive M + active roll stabalization (1/2 ZDH). If they don't let you get DPC (the other 1/2 ZDH), you would think that you at least could get 2VS.

I don't think that you can get a 3rd row in an X5M because they don't want to have to tune the car twice. They probably wouldn't sell a lot of 3rd rows in X5Ms anyway.

Just wanted to clarify the bit about adaptive m:

Adaptive M suspension is 2VF and requires M-Sport.

Dynamic Handling Package ZDH also includes 2VM, a softer and less stiff version of 2VF.

M-Sport cannot have 2VM, it can only be standard suspension ZSU or Adaptive 2VF. So ZDH on a non msport gets the more comfortable 2VM suspension, but on an M-Sport it will be the stiffer/sportier 2VF.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #51
pinstripe1
Rep
Drives: Future X5

There is a longer video on the E70 Dynamic drive. The snips in post 47 are subsets.

Appreciate 0