07-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

M-Sport suspension...

Ok,

Can anyone actually say weather the M-Sport suspension becomes "sport" or stays"comfort" even when put on "sport plus"? I don't feel the difference! My 2012 335i is different, you can feel how the suspension tightens and I can feel the road big time.

I asked different people at dealer and everyone gives me a different response...

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I thought that Sport+ was Sport + (-DSC).

So, theoretically would wouldn't feel a difference between Sport and Sport+ until you did something questionable (or go around a skid pad, or do hot laps, or do hard corners on gravel).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
CorLeonis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535 xdrive M-Sport

The suspension does not change unless you get Adaptive M Sport Suspension option or DHP
      07-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLeonis
The suspension does not change unless you get Adaptive M Sport Suspension option or DHP
Really?! Not even the sales people know what they are talking about! They said, yes, it changes the suspension...

Very disappointed at BMW and their sucky service! I have the M-Sport package... But didn't know I had to get the M-sport adaptive suspension. My 335i came with the M-sport package which included adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
CorLeonis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes, the Sport and Sport+ will add more throttle response, but not change the actual suspension.
      07-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikikuki7 View Post
Really?! Not even the sales people know what they are talking about! They said, yes, it changes the suspension...

Very disappointed at BMW and their sucky service! I have the M-Sport package... But didn't know I had to get the M-sport adaptive suspension. My 335i came with the M-sport package which included adaptive suspension.
Agreed, bad on BMW's part for not making the Adaptive M suspension as part of the M Sport package. Instead you have to pay $900 extra , at least in the US. Also they don't make it very clear that without the Adaptive suspension, you won't feel any difference when changing modes. I had to verify with a BMW Genius that the adaptive suspension actually will make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

That's what I thought too, but then I realize that it is separate option.
They should've been a package with the M Sport.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Mathme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X530d

With the Adaptive M, I can definitely feel the suspension firm up when in Sport mode...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
That's what I thought too, but then I realize that it is separate option.
They should've been a package with the M Sport.
I never really use it, but I was trying it, and i don't feel anything! 900dlls is nothing to add!l the M-sport adaptive. Very upset! I will send a nasty letter the the top corporate people in regards to that! Everyone at the dealership said "yes, of course it works, you might now feel it because it's an SAV, not a car." I knew size didn't have anything to do with it. Oh well!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I was lucky, as I get this option with my 3rd Row Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
I was lucky, as I get this option with my 3rd Row Package.
Actually I don't think that's the same thing. The 3rd row option comes with the rear axle air suspension, which I believe is not the same thing as the adaptive M suspension. Those who know better can correct me if I'm wrong.
The M adaptive works on all 4 wheels, not just the rear axle.

Also I don't think you can get the adaptive M suspension unless you also get the M Sport package first.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Adaptive suspension is all four wheels but this is the option package description on mine:

M Sport
> High-gloss Roof Rails
> Roof rails in Satin Aluminum
> Anthracite headliner
> Shadowline exterior trim
> Sport seats
> Multi-contour seats
> Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
> Adaptive M Suspension + rear axle air suspension
> Aerodynamic kit
> M steering wheel

Makes no sense. My car does not have adaptive suspension nor does it have rear axle air suspension (don't have third row seat either)...

Last edited by 42pilot; 07-31-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
CorLeonis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Adaptive suspension is all four wheels but this is the option package description on mine:

M Sport
> High-gloss Roof Rails
> Roof rails in Satin Aluminum
> Anthracite headliner
> Shadowline exterior trim
> Sport seats
> Multi-contour seats
> Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
> Adaptive M Suspension + rear axle air suspension
> Aerodynamic kit
> M steering wheel

Makes no sense. My car does not have adaptive suspension nor does it have rear axle air suspension (don't have third row seat either)...
I believe those are the options available to M-Sport. It also mentions both Sport Seats and MC Seats -- as one cannot have both, it would appear they are listed as options for the M-Sport package.
      08-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

So the Msport package is all cosmetic and you get the basic suspension that the rest of the lines get. If you elect the $900 adaptive M suspension upgrade thats when you get the adjustable shocks around all 4 corners with the rears being air suspension?

For those who have this upgrade is ride/handling noticeably different between sport and comfort modes?

Alan
      08-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
So the Msport package is all cosmetic and you get the basic suspension that the rest of the lines get. If you elect the $900 adaptive M suspension upgrade thats when you get the adjustable shocks around all 4 corners with the rears being air suspension?

For those who have this upgrade is ride/handling noticeably different between sport and comfort modes?

Alan
Yes there is a big difference. Comfort nice and soft, sport nice and tight and firm.

UK MSports have this as standard.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #16
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Yep, got to read the fine print!

I ASSumed if you got the Msport package, that the adaptive Msport suspension is part of the package, but if you wanted to purchase is separately, you could check it! After reading this, I am bummed out!
Whenever I pressed the sport or sport+ it "seemed" like it firmed up, but obviously all in the head.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
Yep, got to read the fine print!

I ASSumed if you got the Msport package, that the adaptive Msport suspension is part of the package, but if you wanted to purchase is separately, you could check it! After reading this, I am bummed out!
Whenever I pressed the sport or sport+ it "seemed" like it firmed up, but obviously all in the head.
I know the feelint! I would tell people "let me change it to sport. Do you feel it? It feels Sports, right?" And people said, i Dont feel the change...

😡
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
Mathme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X530d

one of the posters up there is correct. if you get the Adaptive M Suspension with rear air, then there is a definite noticeable difference between comfort and sport. I have it on mine, and it was $900 well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathme View Post
one of the posters up there is correct. if you get the Adaptive M Suspension with rear air, then there is a definite noticeable difference between comfort and sport. I have it on mine, and it was $900 well worth it.
My dealer also had no idea that the M sport didn't come with the M suspension without an option. If not for you guys here, I never would have noticed and would have been pissed that I missed this option. To make it even better, the configurator is messed up on this, it shows it as a 0 dollar option, it's actually 900 bucks (IIRC). <sigh>

How can we know so much more about the cars than someone who's JOB it is to know about the cars? That's just sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #20
jk91915
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

while on the subject.. what exactly is the difference between sport and sport+ on a standard suspension and when should each be used?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #21
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Here's what BMW USA told me today.

The M Sport has adaptive sport suspension and with NO rear seat, is simply a type of progressive and more sport-like spring/shock set up - the sport button has no affect to the suspension. If you get the rear seat, you get rear air shocks for the rear of the car to make up for any additional weight, so the car maintains control - this is automatic and not controllable from the cockpit. For $900 more, you can get the dynamic handling package that is activated by the switch inside and has two settings. In addition, each corner of the car has computer adjusted shocks, depending on the setting, cornering, body roll (adjustable sway bar), accel and so on. This is the only option where the sport button affects the ride of the car.

The luxury line without any suspension package gets the softest, non-adaptive ride.

PS - it took three people to explain it to me and I'm not completely confident in the above, but it seems to make the most sense.
      08-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #22
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Here's what BMW USA told me today.

The M Sport has adaptive sport suspension and with NO rear seat, is simply a type of progressive and more sport-like spring/shock set up - the sport button has no affect to the suspension. If you get the rear seat, you get rear air shocks for the rear of the car to make up for any additional weight, so the car maintains control - this is automatic and not controllable from the cockpit. For $900 more, you can get the dynamic handling package that is activated by the switch inside and has two settings. In addition, each corner of the car has computer adjusted shocks, depending on the setting, cornering, body roll (adjustable sway bar), accel and so on. This is the only option where the sport button affects the ride of the car.

The luxury line without any suspension package gets the softest, non-adaptive ride.

PS - it took three people to explain it to me and I'm not completely confident in the above, but it seems to make the most sense.
I'm not completely confident in the above either. In fact now I'm more confused. First of all I don't think the dynamic handling package is the same as the Adaptive M suspension. Second , it's not a $900 option, but $4500 according to bmwusa.com !
I was told by my sales manager that he has the adaptive M suspension in his 3 series GT and it DOES make a difference when switching modes. I also spoke to a BMW Genius while at the dealer, and he confirmed it too.
It seems people are getting lots of different variations of answers . Sigh...
Appreciate 0