BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #23
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra006 View Post
I'm not completely confident in the above either. In fact now I'm more confused. First of all I don't think the dynamic handling package is the same as the Adaptive M suspension. Second , it's not a $900 option, but $4500 according to bmwusa.com !
I was told by my sales manager that he has the adaptive M suspension in his 3 series GT and it DOES make a difference when switching modes. I also spoke to a BMW Genius while at the dealer, and he confirmed it too.
It seems people are getting lots of different variations of answers . Sigh...
Maybe I wrote the above incorrectly.

The dynamic handling package is different from the adaptive M suspension.

If you purchase the M sport package, you get the adaptive M suspension included. It will cost $900 to upgrade to full dynamic handling package, since you've already paid $4600 for the M sport package.

I have the M adaptive suspension in my car because I bought the M package, and I can tell you that pressing the sport button on my X series does nothing for the suspension. There are only springs and shocks under my car which cannot be altered. But you can see from my build sheet from a previous post I should have rear axle air suspension - but I don't since I do not have the rear seat option. Grab a flashlight and look at your car yourself to be sure.
      08-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #24
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post

If you purchase the M sport package, you get the adaptive M suspension included. It will cost $900 to upgrade to full dynamic handling package, since you've already paid $4600 for the M sport package.

I have the M adaptive suspension in my car because I bought the M package, and I can tell you that pressing the sport button on my X series does nothing for the suspension. There are only springs and shocks under my car which cannot be altered. But you can see from my build sheet from a previous post I should have rear axle air suspension - but I don't since I do not have the rear seat option. Grab a flashlight and look at your car yourself to be sure.
That's strange that your adaptive M suspension doesn't make any difference. Not to argue with you, but here is a quote straight from the 2014 X5 Brochure:

Adaptive M Suspension incorporates
electronically controlled dampers that adapt to
your driving style and road conditions. Settings
can be designated via the Driving Dynamics
Control button. The Adaptive M Suspension
also lowers the X5 approximately 0.4 inch
without sacrifi cing ride comfort. Stiffer, more
dynamic system settings can be selected by
activating the SPORT or SPORT+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #25
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
Quote:

M Sport DOES NOT include Adaptive M Suspension in US UNLESS you check the "Adaptive M Suspension" for additional $900. Adaptive M Suspension will alter suspension when you switch between comfort/sport setting. Dynamic Handling Package will cost you additional $3600 and it will give you "Active Roll Stabilization". DHP costs $4500 in total but includes Adaptive M suspension, which is why it's $3600 + $900 = $4500.

You are looking at 3 different suspension setups in M Sport line:
- M Sport with standard suspension ($4600)
- M Sport with Adaptive M ($4600 + $900)
- M Sport with Dynamic Handling ($4600 + $4500)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #26
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris
Quote:

M Sport DOES NOT include Adaptive M Suspension in US UNLESS you check the "Adaptive M Suspension" for additional $900. Adaptive M Suspension will alter suspension when you switch between comfort/sport setting. Dynamic Handling Package will cost you additional $3600 and it will give you "Active Roll Stabilization". DHP costs $4500 in total but includes Adaptive M suspension, which is why it's $3600 + $900 = $4500.

It's just so crazy! Like too many suspensions! Lol

Everyone at my dealer believes the "M-Sport adaptive suspension comes with my X5" that is why I bought it! Because I have a 335i and I like how it feels! Now with the X5 I feel nothing! I feel I have been robbed! Good case to get my X5 bought back by BMW and get one that cost just 900dlls more! 900dlls is nothing when you are already paying
90k!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:49 AM   #27
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

To make things even more confusing, there are two types of dynamic adapting suspensions, a sporty one and a comfy one:

2VF, aka "Adaptive M Suspension + rear axle air suspension"
2VM, aka "Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension"

2VF is a more sport oriented version. 2VM is more comfort oriented.

The Dynamic Handling Package by default comes with the comfy 2VM. You can also order the comfy one standalone for +$1500, or with the third row seat for +$1000.

Only the M Sport gives you the option to add 2VF, the more sport oriented dynamic suspension more commonly known as "Adaptive M". If you order the Dynamic Handling Package with M Sport, then the standard suspension (ZSU) is replaced with the sporty 2VF dynamic suspension.

I don't believe it is possible to get an M Sport with Dynamic Handling and opt for the comfy 2VM suspension, at least not here in the states.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #28
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris View Post

This is my understanding as well. The only thing I'm not sure on is that the DHP "includes" the adaptive M suspension. I don't think it does, DHP is a different suspension setup from my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #29
CorLeonis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535 xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
This is my understanding as well. The only thing I'm not sure on is that the DHP "includes" the adaptive M suspension. I don't think it does, DHP is a different suspension setup from my understanding.
DHP DOES include adaptive M Suspension. As someone previously wrote, it's a $4500 package that's broken down to $3600 + $900 for Adaptive M Suspension.
      08-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #30
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

So my 2015 X35D M-sport order here in the US with 3rd row seat will come with the 2VF (sport orientated one)? It is for my wife. Not sure she would want the sport suspension over the comfy one, especially with RFTs. Anybody know the real world difference and feel driving it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #31
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz View Post
So my 2015 X35D M-sport order here in the US with 3rd row seat will come with the 2VF (sport orientated one)? It is for my wife. Not sure she would want the sport suspension over the comfy one, especially with RFTs. Anybody know the real world difference and feel driving it?

I believe the M-Sport with 3rd row by default comes with the standard suspension (ZSU) along with a rear axle air suspension for more comfort for the rear passengers. You can optionally add the Adaptive M suspension (2VF) to get the sporty suspension with dynamic dampening. So as long as you don't add Adaptive M, you should be fine.

If you have the Dynamic Handling Package, then you get a dynamic dampening suspension too. According to this post (search for "2VF"), the Dynamic Handling Package always comes with the more comfy 2VM suspension. http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/71895...r-autoexpress/ That seems to contradict what happens when you build an M Sport with Dynamic Handling on the website, as it always ticks the $900 Adaptive M option.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #32
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra006 View Post
That's strange that your adaptive M suspension doesn't make any difference. Not to argue with you, but here is a quote straight from the 2014 X5 Brochure:

Adaptive M Suspension incorporates
electronically controlled dampers that adapt to
your driving style and road conditions. Settings
can be designated via the Driving Dynamics
Control button. The Adaptive M Suspension
also lowers the X5 approximately 0.4 inch
without sacrifi cing ride comfort. Stiffer, more
dynamic system settings can be selected by
activating the SPORT or SPORT+ mode.
No offense taken - I am simply stating what was explained to me by BMW. In addition, my build sheet clearly states air shocks - they are not there. When I press the sport button, on my M Sport, NOTHING happens - nothing - no lowering, does not stiffen, nothing.

And the confusion continues..

PS - in the mail today, I just received a brochure from BMW introducing me to my new X5. The one I bought in April....
      08-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #33
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Sorry - my build sheet clearly states adaptive M suspension with air ride. It ain't there... And pressing the sport button on my car does nothing to the ride.

I wish it did, but it doesn't. That's why I called BMW US.
      08-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #34
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:

This was my understanding as well. I presume M Sport with Standard Suspension is no different than base X5?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #35
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Here is my build:

Your X5 xDrive35d Selected Options

Poplar Wood Trim
Harman Kardon surround sound system

Driver Assistance Package
- Rear view camera
- Head-up Display

M Sport
- High-gloss Roof Rails
- Roof rails in Satin Aluminum
- Anthracite headliner
- Shadowline exterior trim
- Sport seats
- Multi-contour seats
- Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
- Adaptive M Suspension + rear axle air suspension
- Aerodynamic kit
- M steering wheel

Premium Package
- Soft-close automatic doors
- Comfort Access keyless entry
- Satellite radio with 1 year subscription

Below is a picture of my suspension - regular gas-filled shocks, run of the mill springs. Nothing adaptive under this car...

Can anyone else take a picture of a known air suspension or dynamic system?
Attached Images

08-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #36
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Here is my build:

Your X5 xDrive35d Selected Options

Poplar Wood Trim
Harman Kardon surround sound system

Driver Assistance Package
- Rear view camera
- Head-up Display

M Sport
- High-gloss Roof Rails
- Roof rails in Satin Aluminum
- Anthracite headliner
- Shadowline exterior trim
- Sport seats
- Multi-contour seats
- Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
- Adaptive M Suspension + rear axle air suspension
- Aerodynamic kit
- M steering wheel

Premium Package
- Soft-close automatic doors
- Comfort Access keyless entry
- Satellite radio with 1 year subscription

Below is a picture of my suspension - regular gas-filled shocks, run of the mill springs. Nothing adaptive under this car...

Can anyone else take a picture of a known air suspension or dynamic system?

Looking at what you wrote, I can see the confusion and it happened to me because I didn't get the adaptive suspension either because I thought it came with the Msport package and my dealer didn't know.

If you see the options, you will also see high gloss roof rails and satin roof rails, since you can't have both, it's your choice on which one you want, same with the seats,same with the suspension, it's your choice if you want it.

BMW USA configurator sucks compared to the European configurators.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #37
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@42pilot,
What you got is coil spring/shock suspension without adaptive.
So it is a basic plain suspension.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #38
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
@42pilot,
What you got is coil spring/shock suspension without adaptive.
So it is a basic plain suspension.
Why do this to us?! :'(

Why?!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #39
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Looking at what you wrote, I can see the confusion and it happened to me because I didn't get the adaptive suspension either because I thought it came with the Msport package and my dealer didn't know.

If you see the options, you will also see high gloss roof rails and satin roof rails, since you can't have both, it's your choice on which one you want, same with the seats,same with the suspension, it's your choice if you want it.

BMW USA configurator sucks compared to the European configurators.
OK - thanks. I knew there was nothing adaptive about the suspension - except for the driver...

BTW - I have gloss rails.
      08-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #40
02330ci
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

For the record on our M Sport with DHP you can feel the suspension change even when not driving. Sometimes while in park ill play around and switch between comfort/sport, you can feel the vehicle shift as the suspension is changing.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #41
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02330ci
For the record on our M Sport with DHP you can feel the suspension change even when not driving. Sometimes while in park ill play around and switch between comfort/sport, you can feel the vehicle shift as the suspension is changing.

I'm jealous because my X5 will never move like that!

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #42
Mhnd198502
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

I can feel a big difference in the suspension when i put my car on Sport, and i only have the M-sport package (i think)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #43
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikikuki7 View Post
Why do this to us?! :'(

Why?!!!
My CA says:

Most people are buying these cars for how they look, not how they drive (what?), so the expensive performance components have been decoupled and sold separately.

For instance, adaptive drive and dynamic performance control used to both be standard on an X6. First AD was decoupled, and now DPC. Urg.

Now, my CA knows what I want and points out what I need to order in order to make my car like the one that I had before. Its unfortunate that there's CAs that don't explain what's up.

I will bet you that there are CAs out there that don't even know what torque vectoring means, much less be able to tell you what to order if you want it (that would be the DPC in the DHP).
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #44
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
My CA says:

Most people are buying these cars for how they look, not how they drive (what?), so the expensive performance components have been decoupled and sold separately.

For instance, adaptive drive and dynamic performance control used to both be standard on an X6. First AD was decoupled, and now DPC. Urg.

Now, my CA knows what I want and points out what I need to order in order to make my car like the one that I had before. Its unfortunate that there's CAs that don't explain what's up.

I will bet you that there are CAs out there that don't even know what torque vectoring means, much less be able to tell you what to order if you want it (that would be the DPC in the DHP).
There are many CA's out there who don't know anything about what they are selling. We ask them questions in good faith and get conflicting or bad info which can lead to orders being placed with equipment missing which we expect to be there with little recourse to fix it.
Appreciate 0