BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #23
A2012528
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528I Msport

Can you use a weight distribution hitch with the Invishitch? Has anyone done so?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #24
iamthestig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

If you use the 2" receiver, you can use a WDH.

I use a WDH with Invisihitch to to a 5700 lb trailer.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #25
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

Question How to disconnect a power wire to wron slot

Hi Skalberti and all X5/BMW Gurus here,

I just doing the same installation as OP/Skalberti for my 2015 X5D. Finished hitch installation. Now, I'm doing internal wiring at right cargo area. I'm at step 7 making 4 power wires connections After I made first solid red power wire connection, I made wrong connection of red//blue power wire to a wrong location of 4th position of the purple slots running vertically on the left, instead of the correct 4th (center) position of the blue slots running horizontally along the bottom edge. The other 2 power wires have not connected yet.

I can't figure out how to disconnect the wire. I have pulled out the whole purple slots, I popped up the little tab at the slot hold the wrong wire, but I still can't disconnect/pull out the wire (see the attached picture). Looks like the slot has other tabs/blockers inside to lock the wire head.

Please advice and help to resolve this.

TIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #26
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway
Hi Skalberti and all X5/BMW Gurus here,

I just doing the same installation as OP/Skalberti for my 2015 X5D. Finished hitch installation. Now, I'm doing internal wiring at right cargo area. I'm at step 7 making 4 power wires connections After I made first solid red power wire connection, I made wrong connection of red//blue power wire to a wrong location of 4th position of the purple slots running vertically on the left, instead of the correct 4th (center) position of the blue slots running horizontally along the bottom edge. The other 2 power wires have not connected yet.

I can't figure out how to disconnect the wire. I have pulled out the whole purple slots, I popped up the little tab at the slot hold the wrong wire, but I still can't disconnect/pull out the wire (see the attached picture). Looks like the slot has other tabs/blockers inside to lock the wire head.

Please advice and help to resolve this.

TIA
Take a small pick and gently pry up the purple tab and pull the wire out.
      10-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #27
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Skalberti, thank you very much for the quick reponse! I did try it, still couldn't put it out. Looked and feelt/pobed other empty slots, it appears that other 3 sides inside slots, there are some bumps/blockers in the way,too.

If there is no way to get the wire out, I'm thininking to cut this wire, and to cut another power wire supposed to be here, too. Swap and tape the 2 cutted wires to their heads/connectors. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #28
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Skalberti, thank you very much for the quick reponse! I did try it, still couldn't put it out. Looked and feelt/pobed other empty slots, it appears that other 3 sides inside slots, there are some bumps/blockers in the way,too.

If there is no way to get the wire out, I'm thininking to cut this wire, and to cut another power wire supposed to be here, too. Swap and tape the 2 cutted wires to their heads/connectors. What do you think?
I wouldn't cut. Take to dealer so you have a good connection.
      10-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #29
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't cut. Take to dealer so you have a good connection.
Good morning, Skalberti. I'll hold the horse. I also sent an email to Invisihitch about this waiting their advise.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #30
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
Good morning, Skalberti. I'll hold the horse. I also sent an email to Invisihitch about this waiting their advise.
Went to dealer to use a special tool to push from fuse side to get wire out. Finished the rest of wiring. Tested out just worked the same as Skalerti showed us in OP. While my trailer and harness are hooked, I did test open/close the tailgate. Open works fine for both driver side door button and key fob. But close with driver side door button, tailgate stops half way with chime and message alert on instrument cluster. I can still close by pushing the button on tailgate.

Is closing tailgate with driver side button with trailer hooked a programmable thing as key fob close?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #31
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
Went to dealer to use a special tool to push from fuse side to get wire out. Finished the rest of wiring. Tested out just worked the same as Skalerti showed us in OP. While my trailer and harness are hooked, I did test open/close the tailgate. Open works fine for both driver side door button and key fob. But close with driver side door button, tailgate stops half way with chime and message alert on instrument cluster. I can still close by pushing the button on tailgate.

Is closing tailgate with driver side button with trailer hooked a programmable thing as key fob close?
Not sure? It may be possible.
      10-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #32
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Question Invisihitch related coding

Skalberti and other coding gurus, have you coded any following hitch-related items suggested by Invisihich's programing checking list in the package?

1. Park Distance Control (PDC): Disabled when a trailer is electrically connected.
2. Stability Control:Utilized anti-lock brakes to dampen trailer sway in unsafe conditions.
3. Rear camera zoom: Enable selectable feature to zoom in on trailer hitch location
4. Rear Hatch: Disabled when trailer connection (electrical) is detected 5.Trailer Light Notification of failure (bulb out) on trailer

As Skalberti and I tested after installation, items 1 and 5, are already there without coding. My tests with item 4 is that with harness/trailer connected, tailgate can still open with either driver door button or key fob, but can only close completely with tailgate button. No idea how to test item 2 and 3. From Skalberti's OP, it seems that item 3 need coding. I also tested with hitch bike rack (obviously it doesn't need trailer harness connected), as expected PDC beeps crazily when you back the car up. The solution is to plug a tester as Skalverti used to shut the PDC beeping off.

Thinking about to get E-SYS and PSdZData to at least pull/see those items' current values first before attempting to any coding. So, anybody has cheat sheet for coding values for them? I saw some cheating sheet (from r33?), but it seems not include any above items for active hitch.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #33
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Skalberti and other coding gurus, have you coded any following hitch-related items suggested by Invisihich's programing checking list in the package?

1. Park Distance Control (PDC): Disabled when a trailer is electrically connected.
2. Stability Control:Utilized anti-lock brakes to dampen trailer sway in unsafe conditions.
3. Rear camera zoom: Enable selectable feature to zoom in on trailer hitch location
4. Rear Hatch: Disabled when trailer connection (electrical) is detected 5.Trailer Light Notification of failure (bulb out) on trailer

As Skalberti and I tested after installation, items 1 and 5, are already there without coding. My tests with item 4 is that with harness/trailer connected, tailgate can still open with either driver door button or key fob, but can only close completely with tailgate button. No idea how to test item 2 and 3. From Skalberti's OP, it seems that item 3 need coding. I also tested with hitch bike rack (obviously it doesn't need trailer harness connected), as expected PDC beeps crazily when you back the car up. The solution is to plug a tester as Skalverti used to shut the PDC beeping off.

Thinking about to get E-SYS and PSdZData to at least pull/see those items' current values first before attempting to any coding. So, anybody has cheat sheet for coding values for them? I saw some cheating sheet (from r33?), but it seems not include any above items for active hitch.

TIA
1 & 4 are enabled with the active harness. 2 is enabled by the active harness if you have the adaptive M suspension or the DHP suspension. #3 is easily coded with E-SYS. I think the code for the camera zoom is in BDC_BODY. I can let you know for sure in a week or so.
      10-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #34
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1 & 4 are enabled with the active harness. 2 is enabled by the active harness if you have the adaptive M suspension or the DHP suspension. #3 is easily coded with E-SYS. I think the code for the camera zoom is in BDC_BODY. I can let you know for sure in a week or so.
So #2, stability control, is enabled with the active harness, too although my 35d doesn’t have adaptive M sport or DHP suspension.

Sorry my previous post didn’t format well. #4, rear hatch disabled and #5, trailer light notification of failure not on separated lines.

I think you mean # 1 and #5 are enabled with active harness, too. The only items left in question are #3, read camera zoon enabled, and #4, rear hatch disabled.

For #3, we’ll know for sure how it works when you code it and share with us in a week or so.

For #4, I’m not quite sure what it actually means. Doesn’t it mean that the coding causes the tailgate not opened nor closed at all unless the active harness is disconnected (that’s just not smart because there still enough space for tailgate to open/close even with trailer/rv/boat hooked) ? Or, is the coding not needed, either, as my test: still can open, but can only close by press the close button on tailgate (not perfect but I can live with that)?
I think it makes sense to have an option from iDrive to disable and enable tailgate at discretion of driver unless the car itself is smart enough to figure out if the tailgate can open or close. For examples, you don’t want tailgate opened/closed when it can hit a close object, like hitch bike rack.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #35
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

This is an F25 wiring diagram for the OEM hitch. skalberti mentioned to me that the fusebox connections are the same, and if you need another diagram to look at, beside the more detailed one that comes with the Invisihitch kit, you may find this useful, especially before you take the plunge.

Document: > BMW F25 - X3 Hitch Instructions .pdf (in case source removes the document)
Source: > http://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/ins429.pdf
      02-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #36
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So #2, stability control, is enabled with the active harness, too although my 35d doesnt have adaptive M sport or DHP suspension.

Sorry my previous post didnt format well. #4, rear hatch disabled and #5, trailer light notification of failure not on separated lines.

I think you mean # 1 and #5 are enabled with active harness, too. The only items left in question are #3, read camera zoon enabled, and #4, rear hatch disabled.

For #3, well know for sure how it works when you code it and share with us in a week or so.

For #4, Im not quite sure what it actually means. Doesnt it mean that the coding causes the tailgate not opened nor closed at all unless the active harness is disconnected (thats just not smart because there still enough space for tailgate to open/close even with trailer/rv/boat hooked) ? Or, is the coding not needed, either, as my test: still can open, but can only close by press the close button on tailgate (not perfect but I can live with that)?
I think it makes sense to have an option from iDrive to disable and enable tailgate at discretion of driver unless the car itself is smart enough to figure out if the tailgate can open or close. For examples, you dont want tailgate opened/closed when it can hit a close object, like hitch bike rack.
If your car doesn't have DHP or adaptive M the harness will have no effect on the suspension.
      03-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #37
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

F15 US and EMEA Hitch Retrofit instruction

US and EMEA OEM retrofit instructions attached. Hope this helps if you are installing the hitch yourself which is not difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ASAP_F15_Rear Hitch System Retrofit.pdf (593.7 KB, 2460 views)
File Type: pdf ASAP_F15_EMEA_Removable trailer tow hitch retrofit.pdf (788.5 KB, 3847 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #38
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
US and EMEA OEM retrofit instructions attached. Hope this helps if you are installing the hitch yourself which is not difficult.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #39
M3 Chris
Private
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, X7 4.0

Are the supplied plastic rivets black in colour? Looks lame if that's the case as everything else is colour matched white for your X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #40
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Chris
Are the supplied plastic rivets black in colour? Looks lame if that's the case as everything else is colour matched white for your X5.
As you can see from my pics, mine are white and match the car perfectly.
      04-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #41
jhb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i

I just completed this hitch install myself. It took me a while because I was very hesitant to pull at the clips as hard as is required. I had two issues:
1. I removed the right tail light assembly with no issue. I applied some force to the light and it slid out. On the left side, I had to apply a bit more force and the light jumped out of the clips. I had unplugged it first, so it slammed down on the concrete and the black cover broke off. It is held on to the light with three clips, and all three broke. At least it did not crack or scratch the lens. Glad the kids were at school as there was an audible expletive echoing down the street! Upon reassembly, it appears to be held in place without the clips, but I may have to order a new cover anyway. My advice is perhaps to leave it plugged in and unplug after it is removed, and/or be more careful.

2. The round 7 pin plug assembly was different on my kit than the one pictured here. The good news is I did not have to do any cutting of the fascia. The bad news is the plug body is a tight fit between the hitch cross bar and a small electrical box connected to the body. I called invisi-hitch, and the tech said it was an antenna. The plug body does fit, but it is snug. The tech confirmed this and said that is just how they do it.

The electrical was straight forward but a bit unnerving. No place in the instruction did it say to disconnect the battery and that made me nervous, but all seems well with the car. I still have to program it, and invisi-hitch included the cable, which is nice. I just have to schedule some time and they will do it over the phone with me.

It took me about 6 hours, but I was very careful and checked everything twice.
2006 x5 4.4
2000 528i: 1989 525i: 1986 528e
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #42
jhb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i

Name:  IMG_1147.jpg
Views: 3158
Size:  36.9 KB
2006 x5 4.4
2000 528i: 1989 525i: 1986 528e
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #43
M3 Chris
Private
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, X7 4.0

Quote:
As you can see from my pics, mine are white and match the car perfectly.
Sorry bud, please don't mind me asking. Looking at the pictures your OEM rivets are white and I believe they are one time use? So the supplied rivets from Invishitch are colour matched to your car?

My curt hitch on my E70 came with black replacement rivets which would not match if I had M-Sport package with colored flares and rivets.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #44
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Chris View Post
Sorry bud, please don't mind me asking. Looking at the pictures your OEM rivets are white and I believe they are one time use? So the supplied rivets from Invishitch are colour matched to your car?

My curt hitch on my E70 came with black replacement rivets which would not match if I had M-Sport package with colored flares and rivets.
The factory rivets are 1 time use. The rivets supplied with the invisihitch are a multi use, so they can be pulled out and put back in repeatedly.
Appreciate 0