BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
scofike
Rep
Drives: '08 335i and '15 X5

Coding 6NS - How do I know I did it right?

Thanks to the terrific posts on this site, I took a stab at coding my 2015 X5 last week. I first did the VO coding to add 6NS since I chose not to order the car with the Enhanced BT, knowing I could code it in. After I coded it, following along with the videos in the coding thread, I then did some FDL coding to add things like DVD in motion (works great), door unlock on engine off (also works), and allowing window up even thru door opening (works). But I cannot tell if the 6NS coding worked. So my question to the group is...how do you verify its working? My observations:

* I saw no difference in the album art display when using Spotify (as before, it would only show the art of the first song played and stayed that way thru all other songs)
* Still only seems to connect to one phone at a time...Under connections, it shows only one connected, even though my wife and I both have our phones in the car and both were re-paired after coding.
* When in the car, if I get a new test message, I see the envelope icon appear and can go to messages and read it or have it read back to me. I dont recall doing this before coding, but I dont drive it as much as my wife.

So...how do i know I did it right and its working? Note that I did NOT remove any three-digit codes from SALAPA Element, since 6NH was not present (and I dont think it should be for MY15 cars...right?).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

scofike , congrats on the success.
The issue with Spotify is related to the newest firmware for the bluetooth, which can be found here.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

Try to re-pair the phones again under the same keyfob or profile. With that, it should shows phone 1 and phone 2.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Also try this: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1091465 I have native 6NS and after a dealer whole-car firmware update, they somehow loaded a stale version of iDrive software. I had to update that to enable a two-phone connection.
      03-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Also, iDrive may not show that both phones are connected at the same time. Case in point, we were both in the car yesterday and my phone was connected. I asked my wife to look up a restaurant's telephone number and when she dialed from her phone, the car switched over to hers and the call came through the speakers.
      03-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

scofike, everyone above is correct and gave you solid advice. 2 ways to correctly know you have coded 6NS correctly:

1) You will see OFFICE in your iDrive menu - this does not exist without 6NS

2) You will see those message icons for text and email and the ability to reply, and you will have the ability to connect two phones. To set everything properly, remember to read the 6NS post in my coding thread at the bottom:

2. Enhanced Bluetooth (6NS): Add 6NS to your FA. VO Code HU_NBT. Then follow these steps after for your iPhone to pair properly (thank you @skalberti): Then you have to remove all bluetooth devices and re add them. And then configure them like Shawn said. Now for text messages to show up, go to the bluetooth menu on your phone, look for your last 5 of your vin. Hit info incon on the right. Check and make sure "show notifications" and "sync contacts" are checked on. Now whenever you're in your car and someone texts you an envelope icon will appear on your idrive. Now you can use Siri hands free and ask her to read your new texts. Then she'll give you the option to reply if you want. To get emails to show up, after your in your car and the phone is connected, double tap the home button and close the mail app that's running in the background. If it's not running in the background go ahead and click on the mail app after your phone has connected to your car. Now emails will show up and they can be read to you. Keep in mind, the idrive will only alert you of messages received while connect to your car. If you received a message before you get in your car, it won't display it after you connect to your car. Also, if you're having issues with Phone 2 not showing up, try this: "Options-scroll down-Configure bluetooth, and tick Telephone 2 and Office. You can then assign the 1 or 2 to each paired telephone."
      03-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
scofike
Rep

Thanks all! I checked and my software was indeed out of date so i updated it. I now get album art updates thru BT in Spotify....nice! I still only show one phone connected at a time...I removed both devices and re-paired them both but for some reason only one shows up as connected...the other is listed as paired. And when i look at the other phone itself, it shows not connected. So if anyone knows why that is, would appreciate a tip.

Thanks again! Great community on here! I learn a ton about my cars (other is a 2008 335i) on these forums!
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofike View Post
........I removed both devices and re-paired them both but for some reason only one shows up as connected...the other is listed as paired. And when i look at the other phone itself, it shows not connected. So if anyone knows why that is, would appreciate a tip......
That was my problem too. I could not remove BT connections from iDrive -from iOS it was easy. So, I dug up the kids iPads and iPods and I added new ones, which forced me to give up the two slots the two phones were taking. Then, I removed the connections from iOS and re-paired the phones, by taking the spot of the kids devices.

Last edited by MattBianco; 03-01-2015 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
pdawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

I wish they would get google play to show album art!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #9
xweb10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 35d

I just had to update my Feb 2015 build X5 too. Odd that they do not update these before delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
scofike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
That was my problem too. I could not remove BT connections from iDrive -from iOS it was easy. So, I dug up the kids iPads and iPods and I added new ones, which forced me to give up the two slots the two phones were taking. Then, I removed the connections from iOS and re-paired the phones, by taking the spot of the kids devices.
matt - did that fix it? were you able to have both phones connected simulaneously?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Have you tried using the phone that doesn't show as connected to see if it actually places a call or not? It worked for us...
      03-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
matt - did that fix it? were you able to have both phones connected simulaneously?
Yes.

The combination of the software update and removing the devices form both iDrive and the phones, and then re- pairing the phones made it work. I also did hard reboot of the phones for good measure, but am not sure that has any impact at all.
      03-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
scofike
Rep

Thanks I will check it out tonight and see if this works!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
scofike
Rep

So I followed MattBianco's steps and still same...only one phone at a time shows up as "Connected" (the other is in the "paired" list). Both phones have a little telephone icon with a number 1 on it...is there ever a case where you would have a 1 and a 2 icon?

And I know the one in the Paired list is not connected because I can place calls on it and they dont go thru the car bluetooth.

I can get text messages to display and read back (my kids love the text-to-speech feature which reads your texts!). So I think I have 6NS coded properly, but just cannot get both phones connected at same time.

Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
So I followed MattBianco's steps and still same...only one phone at a time shows up as "Connected" (the other is in the "paired" list). Both phones have a little telephone icon with a number 1 on it...is there ever a case where you would have a 1 and a 2 icon?

And I know the one in the Paired list is not connected because I can place calls on it and they dont go thru the car bluetooth.

I can get text messages to display and read back (my kids love the text-to-speech feature which reads your texts!). So I think I have 6NS coded properly, but just cannot get both phones connected at same time.

Ideas?
Yes, you're having the issue abhiku had, so follow my instructions I posted in the OP of my coding thread at the bottom where 6NS is:
For anyone who loses their OFFICE menu in your iDrive, go to HU_NBT / MACRO_PIM / make sure it is set to aktiv. @abhiku's for some reason got deactivated (not sure what happened or how), but it needs to be aktiv for the OFFICE menu to show.

If for some reason, your OFFICE is having issues, make sure all the ones in HU_NBT below are set to aktiv - this will give you the full functionality to make your OFFICE (6NS) to work correctly:

EMAIL_EIN_AUS
SMS_EIN_AUS
CONTACTS_EIN_AUS
CALENDAR_EIN_AUS
TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS
AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_EIN_AUS
TASK_EIN_AUS
PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_TRIGGERS_EIN_AUS
MACRO_PIM

I forgot one that deals with your phones...it's called TWO_PHONES_PARALLEL. Make sure it's aktiv. This code allows for multiple phones to be used at the same time via bluetooth giving that Phone 2 setting.

Last edited by opasha; 03-23-2015 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #16
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
What if you have neither nor 6NS/6NH but still have Bluetooth in your car ?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:55 AM   #17
mkdan2004
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Do you have wireless charging? Its 6NW. If you do, then 6NS is part of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdan2004 View Post
Do you have wireless charging? Its 6NW. If you do, then 6NS is part of it.
No.
Appreciate 0