BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #23
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

My M50d is showing average of 31mpg after 1000 miles. 13KM work journeys at max 50mph for 10 and 10 mins town stop start.

Last edited by Wing Co; 03-02-2015 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #24
kkakonn
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
My M50d is showing average of 31mpg after 1000 miles. 13K work journeys at max 50mph for 10 and 10 mins town stop start.
So Jealous lol. Good power and great gas mileage, I'm at a solid 15 mpg =[
      03-02-2015, 11:58 PM   #25
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkakonn View Post
So Jealous lol. Good power and great gas mileage, I'm at a solid 15 mpg =[
Mine is UK gallons so slightly different to US.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #26
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
I get low to mid 30's mpg on my 40D, but I do tend to have a lead right foot. What's the point of having all that torque and power if you aren't going to use it getting 2.2 tonnes of F15 moving from a stop .

I've had it for 7 months now but still gun it from the lights with a big grin on my face. You get some racer thinking they can beat you away, I drop it into Sport and let rip.
GET IN
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #27
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

I'm getting a dreadful 26mpg so far over about 180 miles. However, I was stuck in traffic this morning to work and that killed it! How long before the mpg will optimise?

Quick Briefing on Lane Departure Warning System....
The indicator for the system is on the lower right of the instrument panel. On activation it remains ambers, and when fixed on a road line it then goes green. If you the drift over the road line you steering wheel vibrates. However, I think the vibration is too subtle. Few more days of testing needed :-)
      03-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #28
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I get low to mid 30's mpg on my 40D, but I do tend to have a lead right foot. What's the point of having all that torque and power if you aren't going to use it getting 2.2 tonnes of F15 moving from a stop .

I've had it for 7 months now but still gun it from the lights with a big grin on my face. You get some racer thinking they can beat you away, I drop it into Sport and let rip.
There's a lot of home truths in this. Its nice to get some reasonable MPG, but at the end of the day 25, 30, 35 it does not matter to me. I must, when conditions permit, drive my 5OD harder. In my old E70 30D when I had it flat out the analogue mpg would be in the 10mpg range, but it was fun.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #29
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
There's a lot of home truths in this. Its nice to get some reasonable MPG, but at the end of the day 25, 30, 35 it does not matter to me. I must, when conditions permit, drive my 5OD harder. In my old E70 30D when I had it flat out the analogue mpg would be in the 10mpg range, but it was fun.
I know exactly what you mean, it's nice to know you can get decent mpg and occasionally I will drive really carefully just to see how far I can go on a single tank but if I wanted to consistently get big mpg's I wouldn't be driving an F15 40D.

I've got a long trip coming up later this month, over to Lubesse in Germany from Nottingham, that's about 1800 miles in a weekend with a 12m dragon boat trailer in tow, now that'll kill the mpg. It'll get some looks taking it on the eurotunnel too, it just fits, they allow a total length of 18m and I'll be almost 18m with an overhang of nearly a metre at the back of the trailer.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #30
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, it's nice to know you can get decent mpg and occasionally I will drive really carefully just to see how far I can go on a single tank but if I wanted to consistently get big mpg's I wouldn't be driving an F15 40D.

I've got a long trip coming up later this month, over to Lubesse in Germany from Nottingham, that's about 1800 miles in a weekend with a 12m dragon boat trailer in tow, now that'll kill the mpg. It'll get some looks taking it on the eurotunnel too, it just fits, they allow a total length of 18m and I'll be almost 18m with an overhang of nearly a metre at the back of the trailer.
Rather you than me getting it on the tunnel. I get concerned with just my car worrying about the wheels although I normally book over 1.85m and it is a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #31
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Rather you than me getting it on the tunnel. I get concerned with just my car worrying about the wheels although I normally book over 1.85m and it is a lot easier.
I've done it a couple of times before, it just fits and one benefit is that you get a whole full height vehicle carriage to yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #32
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Some more pics ..... The best BMW I've had, ever!
Attached Images

03-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #33
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
Adaptive LED Headlights

Very focused, delineated beam, pure white (like around 6500k), lateral illumination and general field coverage is incredible. The lighting of road signs and the beam splitting in adaptive mode is almost unbelievable - just seen that happen once so far.

Cornering lights great, although seem to be kicking in a bit late? Or am I driving too fast ?

The full beam could light up Wembley Stadium.
I don't have the LED lighting on mine, couldn't justify the extra cost, but I did get the Adaptive BiXenons with HBA. On mine the anti-glare adaptive lighting is great, especially where it splits the beams with main bean on the left and dip beam on the right for incoming traffic. The reaction time is so quick when you are driving down an unlit road at night with oncoming traffic the lights are all over the place and it makes such a difference compared to regular lighting.

On, and don't forget that all the guys in the US can't get anti glare lighting
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #34
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Speed Limit Display system, working with HUD and 6WB

1. The system is quicker than the F10 version, the speed limit changes immediately when turning into different roads

2. All the limits so far have been accurate

3. Temporary speed limits today were spotted on 3 of 4 occasions on the motorway

4. The Speed limit is displayed on the 6WB, fairly clear

5. Its also displayed on HUD

6. No overtaking signs are displayed too

7. If you exceed the speed limit a red line appears on 6WB next to the detected limit.

A very neat system :-) Pics soon
      03-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #35
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I'm getting a dreadful 26mpg so far over about 180 miles. However, I was stuck in traffic this morning to work and that killed it! How long before the mpg will optimise?

Quick Briefing on Lane Departure Warning System....
The indicator for the system is on the lower right of the instrument panel. On activation it remains ambers, and when fixed on a road line it then goes green. If you the drift over the road line you steering wheel vibrates. However, I think the vibration is too subtle. Few more days of testing needed :-)
26 MPG UK, running it in!!!, that is poor, my M6 GC CP is returning 24.7 MPG UK in winter with booting when I can. Surely that has to be checked, all my diesel BMW's did NOT improve with miles.
I read somewhere that some X5's have had sensor problems from the factory, worth checking IF it stays at that.
      03-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #36
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
26 MPG UK, running it in!!!, that is poor, my M6 GC CP is returning 24.7 MPG UK in winter with booting when I can. Surely that has to be checked, all my diesel BMW's did NOT improve with miles.
I read somewhere that some X5's have had sensor problems from the factory, worth checking IF it stays at that.
Had more respectable readings today....

Motorway averaged 35-40mpg sensible driving, briefly going over 40 for a while

dropped to about 32mpg when city got factored in

I'll let it do about 1000 miles before I ask about sensor problems?

Its shockingly quick though, with so much torque it could spin the planet the other way! I've had many powerful cars in the past but this really is something else, its not so much the amount of power but the delivery of it. Somebody tried racing me in a Ford Focus ST today
      03-06-2015, 02:32 AM   #37
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Had more respectable readings today....

Motorway averaged 35-40mpg sensible driving, briefly going over 40 for a while

dropped to about 32mpg when city got factored in

I'll let it do about 1000 miles before I ask about sensor problems?

Its shockingly quick though, with so much torque it could spin the planet the other way! I've had many powerful cars in the past but this really is something else, its not so much the amount of power but the delivery of it. Somebody tried racing me in a Ford Focus ST today
That's much better, keep us up to speed on your findings.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 06:01 AM   #38
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I've started putting my foot down, a little, now it is run in. The surprising thing is that its does not feel fast (linear gearbox, insulation, ride quality, etc), but the way the digital speed rises reminds you that it is. Germany next week, so I should see some real performance!
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #39
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

SDRX,,,,,,,,,, Any updates?.
      03-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #40
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
SDRX,,,,,,,,,, Any updates?.
Sorry guys I've been AWOL!
Will update soon with some more pics....

One problem I have is can't post here from my phone anymore Get a pop up message saying forum maintenance.

Fuel Update
The car is returning 30-31mpg average and easily do more on motorway driving. Make no mistake, put your foot down, and you can expect to see 24mpg average! My E92 335d used to return about 30mpg so in comparison, given the weight/power differences, the M50d isn't doing too badly - if you behave!

Engine Power and General Driving.
Its a sledgehammer. The engine never runs out of power or pull, it just keeps relentlessly going and with 4x4 traction the delivery of the power to the wheels is absolutely incredible. I've blasted around UK roundabouts and tight corner with relative ease and security, not feeling the car rolling much at all. Its no M4 but for a 2 ton +++ car it handles extremely well.

The sound of the engine is very sedate. Many here will know BMW use sound induction to improve the experience of driving. It would have to be said that without it the M50d is a very boring engine to listen to because never really does it need to try. Its very powerful, at all times, at all rpm, its there. It pushes the X5 like its stuck in a catapult.

Suspension/Drive Comfort
This is the most comfortable ride I've experienced from a BMW - ever. The suspension is perfect for crap UK roads, it cruises a long, a very smooth and refined drive - feels like a £70k car.

30d vs 40d vs 50d ...... not an easy choice for anyone, but I would have it no different when all things considered.
      03-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #41
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry guys I've been AWOL!
Will update soon with some more pics....

One problem I have is can't post here from my phone anymore Get a pop up message saying forum maintenance.

Fuel Update
The car is returning 30-31mpg average and easily do more on motorway driving. Make no mistake, put your foot down, and you can expect to see 24mpg average! My E92 335d used to return about 30mpg so in comparison, given the weight/power differences, the M50d isn't doing too badly - if you behave!

Engine Power and General Driving.
Its a sledgehammer. The engine never runs out of power or pull, it just keeps relentlessly going and with 4x4 traction the delivery of the power to the wheels is absolutely incredible. I've blasted around UK roundabouts and tight corner with relative ease and security, not feeling the car rolling much at all. Its no M4 but for a 2 ton +++ car it handles extremely well.

The sound of the engine is very sedate. Many here will know BMW use sound induction to improve the experience of driving. It would have to be said that without it the M50d is a very boring engine to listen to because never really does it need to try. Its very powerful, at all times, at all rpm, its there. It pushes the X5 like its stuck in a catapult.

Suspension/Drive Comfort
This is the most comfortable ride I've experienced from a BMW - ever. The suspension is perfect for crap UK roads, it cruises a long, a very smooth and refined drive - feels like a £70k car.

30d vs 40d vs 50d ...... not an easy choice for anyone, but I would have it no different when all things considered.
Interesting, would you say your 30MPG was with some fun driving or just trying to keep off the throttle?.
I am still waiting to test drive one.
      03-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #42
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
The Adaptive LED headlights are definitely better than te F10 adaptive xenons that I had.

1. They are brighter, I can tell this from the level of road sign illumination
2. They are comfortably lighting up about 400-500m in front of me
3. The light is absolutely pure white
4. The spread of the beam is much wider, especially road side and it's very sharply focussed
5. The cornering lighting system is much more powerful
Totally agree I have the Adaptive LED headlights on my 40D and on reflection (no pun intended) its one of the best options and Im glad I went for it. Stick on the high beam assist and sit back, you wait for someone to flash you coming the other way but they don't, it takes some getting use to, the way it splits the beam and switches instantly between high and low beam when it detects something is amazing. Mind you my bl**dy windscreen is cracked at the mo so cant see sod all. Enjoy looks great.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #43
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, would you say your 30MPG was with some fun driving or just trying to keep off the throttle?.
I am still waiting to test drive one.
Yes with some fun sprints
Today a lot inner city traffic dropped it down to 28.

The way i see it, the equivalent powered 4x4 petrol would consume far more. I had RR Autobiog for a few days last year and it struggled to maintain 18mpg.
      03-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #44
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes with some fun sprints
Today a lot inner city traffic dropped it down to 28.

The way i see it, the equivalent powered 4x4 petrol would consume far more. I had RR Autobiog for a few days last year and it struggled to maintain 18mpg.
Thats still good then, for the size of the vehicle.