BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Manual Transmission and AutoStart/AutoHold

I wonder, how does auto hold or auto start/stop work with those folks who get stick shift?
      03-21-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

If this feature is even available on manual cars, my guess is usually when you are driving a manual car you would shift into neutral when at a stop and during that time is when the car would shut off then restart once you engage the clutch and shift into first?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Been a while since I drove one, but I remember it stopping while the clutch is dipped and your foot is on the brake... changing either restarts the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

We have vw passat in the family, so it has manual transmission and auto start/stop function (as well as auto hold).
So when you stopped on traffic jam, put neutral(no need to hold brake)-it will shut down the engine.
As soon as you touched clutch it will starts the engine.
Remark: obviously it works if battery good charged and tem-re of engine is ok(may be some other limits to deactivate this function).
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
We have vw passat in the family, so it has manual transmission and auto start/stop function (as well as auto hold).
So when you stopped on traffic jam, put neutral(no need to hold brake)-it will shut down the engine.
As soon as you touched clutch it will starts the engine.
Remark: obviously it works if battery good charged and tem-re of engine is ok(may be some other limits to deactivate this function).

Thanks, that's what I thought, I figured it would be linked to clutch instead of others, but with auto hold + auto start, does it start the engine when you touch the clutch and then release the auto hold when you touch the gas pedal? Otherwise it would start rolling back, no? This is great so you don't actually have to keep the brake pressed like you said when starting as well as coming to a stop.
      04-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought, I figured it would be linked to clutch instead of others, but with auto hold + auto start, does it start the engine when you touch the clutch and then release the auto hold when you touch the gas pedal? Otherwise it would start rolling back, no? This is great so you don't actually have to keep the brake pressed like you said when starting as well as coming to a stop.
Hi!
Sorry for late reply...
Yes, when you push clutch the car starts, but autohold still active.
When you press gas pedal and start release clutch than autohold function is disabled(some time you feel a bit that car is not moving till certain moment with auto hold function).
So option is good enough to have with manual transmission.
Appreciate 1