BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #23
Vfftex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Exact same issue

I have a 2017 BMW X5 with HK AMP.. lost all sound and BMW diagnosed a bad amp. It never got wet, don’t know what happened. They wanted to charge me 2400 for a new amp and another 200 or so to program it. I read that if you find a used one from the same model (X5 F15) you don’t have to program.
Did you have to program? Where can I find a good used AMP?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:37 AM   #24
alpha2015tr
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfftex View Post
I have a 2017 BMW X5 with HK AMP.. lost all sound and BMW diagnosed a bad amp. It never got wet, don’t know what happened. They wanted to charge me 2400 for a new amp and another 200 or so to program it. I read that if you find a used one from the same model (X5 F15) you don’t have to program.
Did you have to program? Where can I find a good used AMP?
Hi my friend, I am sorry to hear you got the same problem I had.

I am really suspecting BMW is remotely disabling our amps

So, here is your solution. If you are living in GTA, Toronto area, I can give you a number, a guy keeps holding all used amps in his stock.

He replaced mine for $550 and he did not program

even though the used amp came from F30

as you see in the picture.

Let me know what you think.

Alternative solution ebay: usually around $1000 dolar
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #25
Vfftex
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha2015tr View Post

So, here is your solution. If you are living in GTA, Toronto area, I can give you a number, a guy keeps holding all used amps in his stock.

Ha, wouldn't doubt BMW is doing it. I live in TX so in person is not going to work. Maybe he can sell and ship one? BTW, I have also owned several BMW's in TX and weather has never been an issue. In fact, this is the first major issue I've had outside of warranty.. It appears the AMP model # is the same. I'll see if I can find that one used and go from there. Thanks Again! I plan on doing this myself as it doesn't seem to be an issue getting to the AMP in the trunk but I guess I'll find out.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 02:01 PM   #26
alpha2015tr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfftex View Post
Ha, wouldn't doubt BMW is doing it. I live in TX so in person is not going to work. Maybe he can sell and ship one? BTW, I have also owned several BMW's in TX and weather has never been an issue. In fact, this is the first major issue I've had outside of warranty.. It appears the AMP model # is the same. I'll see if I can find that one used and go from there. Thanks Again! I plan on doing this myself as it doesn't seem to be an issue getting to the AMP in the trunk but I guess I'll find out.
Yes, taking out AMP from the trunk is not that difficult. Just be careful with some trim locations. A few notches are hard to see.

Btw, I don't think this Toronto guy will do shipping. If he were living in Texas, he would come to your location and pull an amp from his stock and plugin, and you are good to go. 5 mins job-saving tons of money from the dealership.

Another piece of news from my end, I ordered a brand new 2023 Acura Integra A specs. Elite package.

Planning to sell my X5 before getting any big surprise. I lost my trust in BMW again. Once the warranty is over, don't keep it any sec.

Maybe I am too over reacting. who knows
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #27
Vfftex
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Yes, taking out AMP from the trunk is not that difficult. Just be careful with some trim locations. A few notches are hard to see.

Btw, I don't think this Toronto guy will do shipping. If he were living in Texas, he would come to your location and pull an amp from his stock and plugin, and you are good to go. 5 mins job-saving tons of money from the dealership.

Another piece of news from my end, I ordered a brand new 2023 Acura Integra A specs. Elite package.

Planning to sell my X5 before getting any big surprise. I lost my trust in BMW again. Once the warranty is over, don't keep it any sec.

Maybe I am too over reacting. who knows
Thanks for the tip.. I am also looking to replace my X5 .. this went out of CPO warranty in Feb. so I was hoping to quick fix the amp before I sell it because I'll get dinged $2-3k if I don't. Not a BMW this time.. im done also.

Good luck with the Acura, should have less problems..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #28
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

I am having the same issue and I just checked all of the fuses and the optical wire going into the amp is blinking red. I removed the stock amp and pulled the cover off and like you, I see no corrosion or anything out of the ordinary. At this point, I am looking to purchase a used one in hopes that does the trick but I am also finding information online that I should try to see if the optical wire fails at some point back to the head unit. The issue I am finding is that I can not for the life of me find any information on the optical wiring diagram to help determine where I need to check after the amplifier. Anyone have a clue?
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:06 PM   #29
yikes98
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17'F15,11'E90,07'E92,96'E36,20

Here is a clue!

I have an X5 17’ with HK radio thingy. It started cutting out the sound on all the audio sources and warning tones and eventually silence. Time to start digging into another BMW Ultimate Driving Machine broke sh!t. At least it is not spewing oil everywhere "yet". Most of the folks pointing to amp are correct. Using ISTA, I was able to see the intermittent communication on the AMP ECU temperature page. So I took the amp apart (same part# as the OP). There is enough information on the net to take the amp out so I’ll skip that. Look at the OP 3rd picture. After scanning the amplifier chips I guessed that I might have a cold solder joint somewhere. So I reflowed the amp chips (legs on the right side of the pic) and power transistors. Low and behold, success! No where near the $2600 as quoted by other folks.
Attached Images

Last edited by yikes98; 01-07-2023 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 11:39 PM   #30
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes98 View Post
I have an X5 17’ with HK radio thingy. It started cutting out the sound on all the audio sources and warning tones and eventually silence. Time to start digging into another BMW Ultimate Driving Machine broke sh!t. At least it is not spew oil everywhere "yet". Most of the folks pointing to amp are correct. Using ISTA, I was able to see the intermittent communication on the AMP ECU temperature page. So I took the amp apart (same part# as the OP). There is enough information on the net to take the amp out so I’ll skip that. Look at the OP 3rd picture. After scanning the amplifier chips I guessed that I might have a cold solder joint somewhere. So I reflowed the amp chips (legs on the right side of the pic) and power transistors. Low and behold, success! No where near the $2600 as quoted by other folks.
That is the blurriest picture haha.

So you fixed this yourself? I am contemplating upgrading to the bavsound amplifier. Does anyone know if it needs to be coded?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 07:49 AM   #31
NewAlbanyX5F1535i
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 x35i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes98 View Post
I have an X5 17’ with HK radio thingy. It started cutting out the sound on all the audio sources and warning tones and eventually silence. Time to start digging into another BMW Ultimate Driving Machine broke sh!t. At least it is not spew oil everywhere "yet". Most of the folks pointing to amp are correct. Using ISTA, I was able to see the intermittent communication on the AMP ECU temperature page. So I took the amp apart (same part# as the OP). There is enough information on the net to take the amp out so I’ll skip that. Look at the OP 3rd picture. After scanning the amplifier chips I guessed that I might have a cold solder joint somewhere. So I reflowed the amp chips (legs on the right side of the pic) and power transistors. Low and behold, success! No where near the $2600 as quoted by other folks.
So you replaced a power transistor?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 11:27 AM   #32
yikes98
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbanyX5F1535i View Post
So you replaced a power transistor?
I just reflowed the solder joints after checking power and ground in the correct places on the board and looking for shorts in the FETs or MOSFET. I used my reflow station, SMC soldering iron and camera to see the connection on the chip leads. This job was nicer than R&R the driveshaft, and OFH on the e92 that I just finished. No crawling under the car required.

PM me if anyone is interested in trying to get their amp fixed.

Last edited by yikes98; 01-07-2023 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 11:30 AM   #33
yikes98
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
That is the blurriest picture haha.

So you fixed this yourself? I am contemplating upgrading to the bavsound amplifier. Does anyone know if it needs to be coded?
I un-blurred the pic just for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 10:57 PM   #34
Galtboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Do you have the # of the contact in Toronto?
Thanks Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 10:59 PM   #35
Galtboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Do you have the Toronto contact info
Thanks Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 08:00 PM   #36
alpha2015tr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtboy View Post
Do you have the Toronto contact info
Thanks Mike
sent you over message.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #37
chadmaslanka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Alpha, can you hook me up with the Toronto guys info? I live outside of Buffalo and my amp is dead.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:00 AM   #38
LordNelson
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 M50d f15

Im having a strange experience too....I have lost all sounds/tones, but the functionality of everything is present and working.
however, when the car gets hot from sitting in the sun, the sounds start working again.....is it possible that there is a broken solder joint in the amp that expands in the heat for a better connection?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 03:50 PM   #39
KrisTallx5
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350, F15 X5 MSport

Does anyone know if there is anything on the front right foot we'll area that can cause an amp to go bad? About a week or so ago I got water on that spot from a clogged sunroof drain and car started making crazy noises from the speakers and eventually no sound. I dried up the water and unclogged the drains. I also found that the 50 amp fuse above the battery for the amp was bad. Today I replaced that fuse assembly and when I did the amp started smoking. If I were to guess I need a new amp or to get this one fixed but anything to check for so I don't fry another amp ??
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:34 AM   #40
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTallx5 View Post
Does anyone know if there is anything on the front right foot we'll area that can cause an amp to go bad? About a week or so ago I got water on that spot from a clogged sunroof drain and car started making crazy noises from the speakers and eventually no sound. I dried up the water and unclogged the drains. I also found that the 50 amp fuse above the battery for the amp was bad. Today I replaced that fuse assembly and when I did the amp started smoking. If I were to guess I need a new amp or to get this one fixed but anything to check for so I don't fry another amp ??
Let me know if you are looking for a used one. I purchased one a while back but my issue was not the amp but the battery fuse to the amp. Message me if you are interested.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #41
KrisTallx5
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350, F15 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
Let me know if you are looking for a used one. I purchased one a while back but my issue was not the amp but the battery fuse to the amp. Message me if you are interested.

Pm sent
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 11:42 PM   #42
Boboji
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Quote:

Can I have the guys number please? I’m in Montreal so would be possible to get the new amp. It’s so frustrating I’ve been using Bluetooth speaker for several months… bmw services they seems to have no clue…
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 11:02 AM   #43
jpannu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Man, I am having the same issue and live in Toronto. Can you please share the number of this guy? Much appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:18 PM   #44
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpannu View Post
Man, I am having the same issue and live in Toronto. Can you please share the number of this guy? Much appreciate.
Btw. I had the same issue but it was not the HK Amplifier that was bad. It was my BSD Battery Fuse Box. Once they replaced it, it was properly sending power to my amplifier which resolved my sound issues. You may want to check that out.
Appreciate 0