BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #133
MohDarawsheh
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fknid View Post
What does ""well-closed" mean?
This means the lining under the hood that makes the noise/sound be heard from underneath the vehicle,

can you please check this:
https://youtu.be/vIlYizbEhKU
At second 14, the same metal noise. right?

Best.
Attached Images

Last edited by MohDarawsheh; 05-29-2022 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #134
moneypitlexus
Rep
Drives: e46

Hey is it this noise?

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...power.1282872/

Watch the video in the first post from the E46 M3.

My E46 had this for years. Could never figure out what it was. It was also under load and usually heard in the Summer with windows down. When I saw the video of the F15 posted earlier it sounded very similar.

Nothing to do with turbo because the E46 never came with any turbos.

Last edited by moneypitlexus; 05-29-2022 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 11:01 AM   #135
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

It's a guessing game at this point, The new Toyota Sequoia looks pretty appealing lol
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2022, 07:44 PM   #136
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypitlexus View Post
Hey is it this noise?

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...power.1282872/

Watch the video in the first post from the E46 M3.

My E46 had this for years. Could never figure out what it was. It was also under load and usually heard in the Summer with windows down. When I saw the video of the F15 posted earlier it sounded very similar.

Nothing to do with turbo because the E46 never came with any turbos.
This e46 M3 is giving a different sound
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:11 PM   #137
astonishingmatt
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F15, 2014 BMW F30

Update:

TSB was performed. What was quoted as a 4-hour job turned into a 6-day job because they lacked the tools to take down the diff, or something like that.

Sound is still there when I accelerate.

At this stage, the dealer wants to schedule something called a "Task something-or-other" this upcoming Monday with the shop foreman and some engineers from Germany.

I'll probably take them up on that, only because this sound is embarrassing to have and I'm curious what their course of action would be.

On the notes from the shop, it does say they've isolated the sound to 'the bottom of the engine, possibly turbo'. Can take that for what it's worth, I guess, but I'll be following up after Monday as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #138
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

what was involved with the TSB?

I got an appointment with a field tech in late june

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonishingmatt View Post
Update:

TSB was performed. What was quoted as a 4-hour job turned into a 6-day job because they lacked the tools to take down the diff, or something like that.

Sound is still there when I accelerate.

At this stage, the dealer wants to schedule something called a "Task something-or-other" this upcoming Monday with the shop foreman and some engineers from Germany.

I'll probably take them up on that, only because this sound is embarrassing to have and I'm curious what their course of action would be.

On the notes from the shop, it does say they've isolated the sound to 'the bottom of the engine, possibly turbo'. Can take that for what it's worth, I guess, but I'll be following up after Monday as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #139
astonishingmatt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008bimmerM3 View Post
what was involved with the TSB?

I got an appointment with a field tech in late june
BMW TSB #310314

https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B31-03-14

Originally posted by LOW4LYF 6 or 7 months ago. Took mine into the dealer, did a ride-along with the noise, and he came back in 10 minutes saying there was a bulletin for this which affected the differential and all it needed was some grease...which is kind of wild, but alright.

Did a search for the TSB and found this thread. Thought I'd update that I'm getting the same service, because it looks like only LOW4LYF got it done and there's a lot of chatter about turbos and waste gates and all sorts of stuff.

Should note, I sent them a DM asking if the ticking / clicking ever came back and they confirmed that it's still gone.

I'm in a 35 Xdrive 2018.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #140
AW0802
Private
Rep
Drives: 02-E368 16-F15 11-F10

if you read through the thread you might know how many stuff I had replaced try to resolve this issue, even changed the rod bearing doesnt help, last week when I did my oil change I put a bottle of the Liqui Moly Ceratec and donno how this magical happened, the ticking noise went away, I have put 250 miles after my oil change and so far the ticking noise is gone, will keep you posted if the noise came back on later, whoever having same issue like me I would recommend to spend this $30 and take a bet on it. LMK if it resolve your issue
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #141
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

so it took the dealer weeks to grease the differential and it still is making the noise?

Quote:
BMW TSB #310314

https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B31-03-14

Originally posted by LOW4LYF 6 or 7 months ago. Took mine into the dealer, did a ride-along with the noise, and he came back in 10 minutes saying there was a bulletin for this which affected the differential and all it needed was some grease...which is kind of wild, but alright.

Did a search for the TSB and found this thread. Thought I'd update that I'm getting the same service, because it looks like only LOW4LYF got it done and there's a lot of chatter about turbos and waste gates and all sorts of stuff.

Should note, I sent them a DM asking if the ticking / clicking ever came back and they confirmed that it's still gone.

I'm in a 35 Xdrive 2018.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 07:21 AM   #142
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Hi All,

Just got my car from a BMW service centre. They informed me that there is a deformation in the combustion room/ chamber that causes this ticking. And the entire engine should be replaced to have this sound disappeared. BUT they told me that i can drive my car as this doesn’t impact the performance.

Personally, this diagnosis is not convincing

Best
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #143
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: F15 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW0802 View Post
if you read through the thread you might know how many stuff I had replaced try to resolve this issue, even changed the rod bearing doesnt help, last week when I did my oil change I put a bottle of the Liqui Moly Ceratec and donno how this magical happened, the ticking noise went away, I have put 250 miles after my oil change and so far the ticking noise is gone, will keep you posted if the noise came back on later, whoever having same issue like me I would recommend to spend this $30 and take a bet on it. LMK if it resolve your issue
I've been using LiquiMoly MolygenNew 5W40 oil for last 3 years, this one does contain some molygen-based friction modifier. Ticking sound is appearing once the engine gets warmed up
A brother's F10 with same N55 engine (tbh not 100% same, it's PWG and our F15s have EWG) and the same oil doesn't make this noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #144
MohDarawsheh
Rep

I just received a call from a Technician that he will check the front side of the exhaust. I will pass him the car this wednesday.

I spent all of my day between the BMW service center and local dealers here in Palestine.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 06:10 AM   #145
astonishingmatt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohDarawsheh View Post
Hi All,

Just got my car from a BMW service centre. They informed me that there is a deformation in the combustion room/ chamber that causes this ticking. And the entire engine should be replaced to have this sound disappeared. BUT they told me that i can drive my car as this doesn’t impact the performance.

Personally, this diagnosis is not convincing

Best
That can't be a real diagnosis for a ticking. I've got a dealer shop foreman meeting with Germany via teleconference today on this. If they come to the same conclusion, and state it doesn't impact performance, my next question would be whether it impacts trade in value because I'd seriously consider it at that point. I love my x5 but I don't want to sound like I'm shaking a can with a marble in it everytime I hit the gas around town. It's embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 07:08 AM   #146
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Quote:
That can't be a real diagnosis for a ticking. I've got a dealer shop foreman meeting with Germany via teleconference today on this. If they come to the same conclusion, and state it doesn't impact performance, my next question would be whether it impacts trade in value because I'd seriously consider it at that point. I love my x5 but I don't want to sound like I'm shaking a can with a marble in it everytime I hit the gas around town. It's embarrassing.
I would appreciate it if you could keep us posted!.
BMW service centers in the middle east are useless, the maximum that they can do perfectly is to do the usual service maintenance (change engine oil and filters).
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 07:34 AM   #147
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tell them its embarrassing and its going to be hard to sell the car because you've had buyers refuse to buy the car after you disclosed this rattling noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 10:37 PM   #148
jluzbet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F15 X5, E93 335

So I read the entire post and no solution lol... Well I got the same noise I don't know since when on MY14... I gave up on it hopefully yall can figure this out
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #149
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Just went through this video:

The author said:
"The noise was gone when I got the custom exhaust"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #150
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've got an appointment coming up within a few weeks with a field technician and I've also got BMWNA involved.

Hopefully this gets resolved.

I'm concerned that they clocked out my paperwork stating they couldn't duplicate the issue, and forced me to take my car home until they're able to get an appointment with a field service tech.

The dealer has to re-open my case and my car is now out of warranty.

If they're able to identify the defective part, would the part be covered under the CPO warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 06:58 AM   #151
ciscorob
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 sdrive35i

My vehicle: 2016 BMW X5 sdrive35i - Current mileage 86,000

Things already done (and boy did they need it!):
Sway bar links
Thrust arm replacement
Lower and upper control arm replaced

So, I have this same issue and I've put microphones under the hood yesterday and on the drivers side near the transmission and just haven't been able to isolate the sound just yet. I will move the microphone over to the passenger side and then see if I can isolate it.

This noise reminds me of Chrysler front wheel drive cars, namely the 4-cyl Sebrings, where it made a very similar sound when the transmission would shift between 1st and 2nd and the back from 2nd to 1st, but not saying its the same problem, but it reminds me of it.

I am planning on going through the entire engine as I have to replace the motor mounts anyways, so while in there I am going to check everything and look for anything which may cause this noise. But so far it seems like some people have gotten relief via replacement of the turbo.

Has anyone investigated the transmission itself?

Last edited by ciscorob; 06-10-2022 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Added vehicle info
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 07:05 AM   #152
ciscorob
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 sdrive35i

Quote:
Just went through this video:

The author said:
"The noise was gone when I got the custom exhaust"
I wonder if people know what rod bearing knock really is, lol.

This interests me a lot, as I've come down to this being some weird transmission based noise/issue or this could be exhaust/turbo related, would be an expensive fix should it be related to the turbo and exhaust.

Has anyone else done this and achieved the same results, or known another person?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #153
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscorob View Post

This interests me a lot, as I've come down to this being some weird transmission based noise/issue or this could be exhaust/turbo related, would be an expensive fix should it be related to the turbo and exhaust.

Has anyone else done this and achieved the same results, or known another person?
What killing me is that this ticking noise becomes audible when the engine temperature is at maximum normal. Exactly from where the turbocharge is located. I will install a camera tomorrow there trying to solve the mystery.

I very much like my car but this noise is driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #154
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscorob View Post

What killing me is that this ticking noise becomes audible when the engine temperature is at maximum normal. Exactly from where the turbocharge is located. I will install a camera tomorrow there trying to solve the mystery.

I very much like my car but this noise is driving me crazy.
Not only normal operating temp but only under load as well. But the fact that reving mine at the same rpm range in the driveway produces no noise. Do the same rpm range and temps tire while driving and it's there. Wastegate engaged both scenarios.
Appreciate 0