BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Software update tonight

Sorry to open up a new thread but have little time to get feedback. I will get SW tnight overnight actually. That is how they do it here. My question is could i ask the to code something harmless such as m performance welcome screen or smthg of that sort. Can they at the service do smthg more easily or it has to be someone very skilled to do smthg? They kind of owe me a favor bcs theyve been stalling this SW update for a long time. Thanks a lot for your feedback. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Depends how strict your service center is. If they are very strict, they won't do it and might even raise an eyebrow to check other things if you've coded a lot of stuff. If they're relaxed and don't care, someone should be able to do it without issue because I'm pretty sure they're equipped with the full software to do all coding. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. If you have the equipment and software setup, I'd be happy to code those things for you. That's the best advice I can give. If you do ask them, I hope they're nice enough to do it for you .
      09-15-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Depends how strict your service center is. If they are very strict, they won't do it and might even raise an eyebrow to check other things if you've coded a lot of stuff. If they're relaxed and don't care, someone should be able to do it without issue because I'm pretty sure they're equipped with the full software to do all coding. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. If you have the equipment and software setup, I'd be happy to code those things for you. That's the best advice I can give. If you do ask them, I hope they're nice enough to do it for you .
Thanks opasha, one can ALWAYS count on you. If i ask them to do it, where shld they look to do it? Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Just ask them if they can do it or not. Don't get extra attention saying that you've already done it and/or will do it again. There's always 50/50 chance No, there's actually a 3rd option: when dealer says they can't do it because BMW prohibits them from doing it via blocking this in their software (LOLed at this comment) and then, when you show them that you've done it yourself, they don't give a crap, but one of the key managers wants you to code his car
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Thanks opasha, one can ALWAYS count on you. If i ask them to do it, where shld they look to do it? Cheers!
My pleasure . Here's r33's cheat sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9s4/edit#gid=0 - the simple things are at the very top including the Splash Screen.

For M Performance Splash Screen:

It is in folder HU_NBT > 3001 > STARTUP_EMBLEM > variant 00 - change this to variant 01 and that will give you the M Splash screen upon start up - this must be FDL Coded.

@Armen383, good advice as well and LOL at your 3rd option .
      09-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure . Here's r33's cheat sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9s4/edit#gid=0 - the simple things are at the very top including the Splash Screen.

For M Performance Splash Screen:

It is in folder HU_NBT > 3001 > STARTUP_EMBLEM > variant 00 - change this to variant 01 and that will give you the M Splash screen upon start up - this must be FDL Coded.

@Armen383, good advice as well and LOL at your 3rd option .
Thank you! Of
Course when i was there i could not get the app to see your
Comments! I could see that you have replied but the app froze
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383
Just ask them if they can do it or not. Don't get extra attention saying that you've already done it and/or will do it again. There's always 50/50 chance No, there's actually a 3rd option: when dealer says they can't do it because BMW prohibits them from doing it via blocking this in their software (LOLed at this comment) and then, when you show them that you've done it yourself, they don't give a crap, but one of the key managers wants you to code his car
Thanks . I think there is a slim chance but i tried. Even sent an email.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani
Sorry to open up a new thread but have little time to get feedback. I will get SW tnight overnight actually. That is how they do it here. My question is could i ask the to code something harmless such as m performance welcome screen or smthg of that sort. Can they at the service do smthg more easily or it has to be someone very skilled to do smthg? They kind of owe me a favor bcs theyve been stalling this SW update for a long time. Thanks a lot for your feedback. Cheers
The dealership cannot code your car, even if they wanted to. The software they give the dealerships is minimal. It allows them to flash factory items on specific cars. If I added the trailer hitch to my car, the dealership would just reprogram my whole entire car, where as I can go in and modify a few select things and leave everything else alone. Coding isn't frowned upon by the dealerships I've been to. I've coded some of their personal cars and they've even sent their customers to me to get stuff coded. I sat down with my mechanic and showed him all that I could see and change with E-SYS. He was amazed and said he can't even do that. In the end, I'd just learn how to do it yourself. Then you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and you save the headache of relying on someone else to do it for you
      09-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani
The dealership cannot code your car, even if they wanted to. The software they give the dealerships is minimal. It allows them to flash factory items on specific cars. If I added the trailer hitch to my car, the dealership would just reprogram my whole entire car, where as I can go in and modify a few select things and leave everything else alone. Coding isn't frowned upon by the dealerships I've been to. I've coded some of their personal cars and they've even sent their customers to me to get stuff coded. I sat down with my mechanic and showed him all that I could see and change with E-SYS. He was amazed and said he can't even do that. In the end, I'd just learn how to do it yourself. Then you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and you save the headache of relying on someone else to do it for you
Thanks a lot for the awesome input. Have a euro car and most things are as i would want them to, just thought if they would add smthg extra as i have been waiting for this update for a long time. Investing couple of hundred euros in a cable im just going to use for super small things is not worth it for me. They were very nice as i got an m3 loaner, so got the extra i wanted. Thanks again for the useful write up.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the awesome input. Have a euro car and most things are as i would want them to, just thought if they would add smthg extra as i have been waiting for this update for a long time. Investing couple of hundred euros in a cable im just going to use for super small things is not worth it for me. They were very nice as i got an m3 loaner, so got the extra i wanted. Thanks again for the useful write up.
Ivan....couple hundred Euros? That's not needed at all. The ENET cable only costs $20. You're thinking of the advanced cable that is straight OBD2 to USB or something from some company.

Also, as I mentioned to many others, I can help you with all this once you get everything you need from the opening page of the Coding Thread. The MAX you will spend is around $30-40 (if you need the USB pluggable adapter). The ESYS and PSDZData files are completely free.
      09-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ivan....couple hundred Euros? That's not needed at all. The ENET cable only costs $20. You're thinking of the advanced cable that is straight OBD2 to USB or something from some company.

Also, as I mentioned to many others, I can help you with all this once you get everything you need from the opening page of the Coding Thread. The MAX you will spend is around $30-40 (if you need the USB pluggable adapter). The ESYS and PSDZData files are completely free.
Awesome!!!! Lets do it then. I will pm you as soon as i get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Awesome!!!! Lets do it then. I will pm you as soon as i get the car back.
Sounds good, Ivan .
      09-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #13
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Software update done, cruise control error message still there. Any ideas from you guys here? I told BMW that the chasis error message could be fixed by the update, but cruise control error (I do not have ACC) I have not heard on the forum yet. How it happened the first time was that as I was starting the car (more less at the same time) I started charging my iphone (via cigarette lighter socket). I told this to them if that could have caused it. Meaning if during systems control check you add additional burden or smthg, was ignored. Have no knowledge about this whatsoever, just guessing, could it be the fuse? I hope at least chasis malfunction messages will be gone.

Thanks a lot for feedback, cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Resolved, tmrw changing all of the stuff around the steering wheel column. Functions for cruise control are there also and smthg went wrong. Also changed the sensor for the chasis as well as did SW update (theyve done it twice apparantley), hope that the error msg are gone for good.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Resolved, tmrw changing all of the stuff around the steering wheel column. Functions for cruise control are there also and smthg went wrong. Also changed the sensor for the chasis as well as did SW update (theyve done it twice apparantley), hope that the error msg are gone for good.
That's annoying. Sorry, Ivan. I hope everything gets fixed without errors!
      09-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #16
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's annoying. Sorry, Ivan. I hope everything gets fixed without errors!
M3 loaner they gave me in the meantime is a nice experience so it ok. Strangely i miss my F15.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
M3 loaner they gave me in the meantime is a nice experience so it ok. Strangely i miss my F15.
That's a first time I've heard of an M3 being loaned out. Is it a company car? That's awesome. I'm glad they at least gave you something fun, but I know how you feel. Nothing is the same as your own car .
      09-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #18
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a first time I've heard of an M3 being loaned out. Is it a company car? That's awesome. I'm glad they at least gave you something fun, but I know how you feel. Nothing is the same as your own car .
You mean if my car is a comapny car? No, its mine, i actually own it. I also think it is a very unusual practice, i did buy a few cars from them and brought to the them a bunch of customers, and they felt that ive had it with these error msgs so that they gave me an exclusive loaner (it is a bit exhausting experience bcs u floor the car whenever you can, take a lot of photos, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 05:37 AM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You mean if my car is a comapny car? No, its mine, i actually own it. I also think it is a very unusual practice, i did buy a few cars from them and brought to the them a bunch of customers, and they felt that ive had it with these error msgs so that they gave me an exclusive loaner (it is a bit exhausting experience bcs u floor the car whenever you can, take a lot of photos, etc.)
Haha, not your car, I meant the loaner . I figured the M3 was a corporate car (that's the word I meant) because you almost never hear of anyone getting an M for a loaner (because of their price and maintenance) so I figured they definitely owed you.
      09-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Cruise control error not fixed, ships log sent to Munich for analysis and advice. SW update changes very little (additional pop up menu in navi when you do not want additional info such as radio in the right top corner - slightly annoying). I was hoping that new update would mean i get a message when i turn on steering heating, sadly that is left out so one has to look under the wheel to make sure its on. Chasis error shld be fixed though. So soon back at the service. F15 is a great car, good to drive it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Cruise control error not fixed, ships log sent to Munich for analysis and advice. SW update changes very little (additional pop up menu in navi when you do not want additional info such as radio in the right top corner - slightly annoying). I was hoping that new update would mean i get a message when i turn on steering heating, sadly that is left out so one has to look under the wheel to make sure its on. Chasis error shld be fixed though. So soon back at the service. F15 is a great car, good to drive it again.
Well that really is annoying. Sorry, Ivan. I hope Munich figures something out from your logs soon. Glad you at least got your F15 back.
      09-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #22
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

Quote:
I was hoping that new update would mean i get a message when i turn on steering heating, sadly that is left out so one has to look under the wheel to make sure its on
Can you not just put your hands on the steering wheel? It only takes a few seconds to know mine is on!
Appreciate 0