BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #133
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
The fender plastic trim can be released by a quick tug while holding the bumper cover "back" and this worked for me. I replaced the fender trim, but yes they do get stretched and need to form it again before reinstalling.

The PDC clip, you will need a small flathead to gently release the top and bottom piece of the clip and should come off easily, though a bit tough to do one handed while holding the bumper cover with the other hand.
Thanks but already finished the install
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #134
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

i might have to look into getting this
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      10-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #135
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
i might have to look into getting this
Let me know if you need installation.
I have done quite a few installs. Complete with the coding.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #136
kcabano
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

I just installed the DrawTite Hitch with the OEM Controller Module and wiring harness on my 2015 35d. The installation of the hitch was textbook but following the OEM Wiring installation manual, I'm not able to locate the X18*1B 3pin BDC pickup terminal to connect "A5" terminal and R2*1B" plug to connect the "A7, A8" wires. Do you have more details on the CAN Terminal and the BDC pickup?

Attached are the instructions I'm having trouble with.

Appreciate the help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #137
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabano View Post
I just installed the DrawTite Hitch with the OEM Controller Module and wiring harness on my 2015 35d. The installation of the hitch was textbook but following the OEM Wiring installation manual, I'm not able to locate the X18*1B 3pin BDC pickup terminal to connect "A5" terminal and R2*1B" plug to connect the "A7, A8" wires. Do you have more details on the CAN Terminal and the BDC pickup?

Attached are the instructions I'm having trouble with.

Appreciate the help.
I also have a 2015 35d. Installed mine a few years ago but didn't run into any issues. Isn't that an option step if you have a BDC?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #138
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Hey guys,

I picked up my Stealth Hitch on my F15 X5d last night. I purchased the kit with the stealth harness as I have a friend who can do all the additional programming that would come with the active harness (The guys at Stealth Hitch confirmed that the only difference with the active harness is the coding...I hope that is correct haha).

Anyway, install of the hitch itself went smoothly. All the wiring was pretty straight forward.

However, my question is more along the lines of connecting the brake controller.

I bought a Tekonsha P3 that came with a Ford harness/plug (second hand unit). But I'm unsure how to connect the controller to the X5. I did notice a bundle of wires labelled for the brake controller within the wire harness, but I'm unsure how to connect these wires to the X5, and also how to connect the brake controller to the car so it all links up properly.

Any feedback would be awesome. I have a trip coming up this Friday where I'll be towing a car in a trailer....so I'm going to need to have this ready to go and I am very nervous I wont have it ready in time!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #139
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Hey guys,

I picked up my Stealth Hitch on my F15 X5d last night. I purchased the kit with the stealth harness as I have a friend who can do all the additional programming that would come with the active harness (The guys at Stealth Hitch confirmed that the only difference with the active harness is the coding...I hope that is correct haha).

Anyway, install of the hitch itself went smoothly. All the wiring was pretty straight forward.

However, my question is more along the lines of connecting the brake controller.

I bought a Tekonsha P3 that came with a Ford harness/plug (second hand unit). But I'm unsure how to connect the controller to the X5. I did notice a bundle of wires labelled for the brake controller within the wire harness, but I'm unsure how to connect these wires to the X5, and also how to connect the brake controller to the car so it all links up properly.

Any feedback would be awesome. I have a trip coming up this Friday where I'll be towing a car in a trailer....so I'm going to need to have this ready to go and I am very nervous I wont have it ready in time!

Thanks in advance!
If it is a bmw controller, or compatible with
It, it’s one harness to plug into the new active harness you just installed. It should be the only remaining plug.

If it’s not a direct plug, just align the 4 wires correctly
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #140
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
If you remove the interior cover on the right side in the cargo area of the X5, I believe there is a connector in the harness in that area. The P3 that BMW offered for the E70 X5 plugged directly into that connector. I don't know if the one you bought has that same connector.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #141
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Thought I'd give an update on here since other people may be curious as to how things worked out for me.

As I was short on time and really didnt want to deal with figuring out how to get the P3 wired up, I ended up going with a wireless unit. A lot of people here were recommending the Tekonsha RF Unit which i'm sure would have worked great. But nobody locally had one readily available so I ended up going with a different wireless unit offered by Curt.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51180

This is apparently a newer unit that works via Bluetooth and syncs up with your cell phone. And when the app is open on your phone, you press the big orange button if you need to apply the brake manually (the longer you press the button, the harder it applies the brake).

Anyway, ended up doing a 1000km round trip up, down, over and around some mountains and the unit worked flawlessly. Super happy with the choice and glad I went this wireless route. Was so much easier! literally plug this unit into the 7pin on the car, and then plug the 7pin cable from the trailer into this unit. Done and done
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #142
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Thought I'd give an update on here since other people may be curious as to how things worked out for me.

As I was short on time and really didnt want to deal with figuring out how to get the P3 wired up, I ended up going with a wireless unit. A lot of people here were recommending the Tekonsha RF Unit which i'm sure would have worked great. But nobody locally had one readily available so I ended up going with a different wireless unit offered by Curt.

This is apparently a newer unit that works via Bluetooth and syncs up with your cell phone. And when the app is open on your phone, you press the big orange button if you need to apply the brake manually (the longer you press the button, the harder it applies the brake).

Anyway, ended up doing a 1000km round trip up, down, over and around some mountains and the unit worked flawlessly. Super happy with the choice and glad I went this wireless route. Was so much easier! literally plug this unit into the 7pin on the car, and then plug the 7pin cable from the trailer into this unit. Done and done
I'm surprised the Curt setup you bought will work with the Invisihitch because the 7 pin connector on the Invisihitch is facing down. Do you have any photos you can post of it connected up?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:03 AM   #143
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
I'm surprised the Curt setup you bought will work with the Invisihitch because the 7 pin connector on the Invisihitch is facing down. Do you have any photos you can post of it connected up?
I have the same question. While I don't have the invisihitch I have the same downward facing 7 pin connector. I'd like to see photos of yours in action as well. Also, if it isn't sticking too far down is there any concern with the plug coming out after some bumps? I'm considering getting the bluetooth unit too and I think it would be pretty good paired with this 90 degree 7 pin cable..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:07 PM   #144
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
I have the same question. While I don't have the invisihitch I have the same downward facing 7 pin connector. I'd like to see photos of yours in action as well. Also, if it isn't sticking too far down is there any concern with the plug coming out after some bumps? I'm considering getting the bluetooth unit too and I think it would be pretty good paired with this 90 degree 7 pin cable..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Has anyone been able to find the answer to this problem? Those of us with the INVISIHITCH would find this helpful.
Amazon isn’t it anymore.