BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
wendivad
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i Confort Access

Hi guys,
I bought a 2015 X5 with the Comfort Access and M Sport packages among others. I have been working through the manuals and according to them I should be able to have the door/side mirrors fold in/out when I lock/unlock using the Comfort Access system.

I contacted the BMW dealer I bought this from and am told this is only a European option, which makes me wonder why bother putting it in the manual if that is the case.

Secondly, I am supposed to be able to open the tailgate with a "kick gesture" - supposed to help if you have hands full. Again the little sales girl tells me this is not available because I have the M Sports package.

Am I being fed a diet of BS here or is this true? I have read in other areas of the forum that these might be coding changes that could be made but being a non-technical person I am wondering how hard that is to do and whether I violate any warranty agreement that I have (I still have over a year on this vehicle).

TIA of any help or advice
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

True
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendivad View Post
Hi guys,
I bought a 2015 X5 with the Comfort Access and M Sport packages among others. I have been working through the manuals and according to them I should be able to have the door/side mirrors fold in/out when I lock/unlock using the Comfort Access system.

I contacted the BMW dealer I bought this from and am told this is only a European option, which makes me wonder why bother putting it in the manual if that is the case.

Secondly, I am supposed to be able to open the tailgate with a "kick gesture" - supposed to help if you have hands full. Again the little sales girl tells me this is not available because I have the M Sports package.

Am I being fed a diet of BS here or is this true? I have read in other areas of the forum that these might be coding changes that could be made but being a non-technical person I am wondering how hard that is to do and whether I violate any warranty agreement that I have (I still have over a year on this vehicle).

You can code mirror folding using Bimmercode app and an adapter. Very easy to do.

Not sure about the kick to open tailgate.

Current Ride
- 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
- 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Kick to open is not available for the F15s. It's not even in the manual.

But it's possible to retrofit - done it myself.
      08-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Pdubhtown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Quote:
Hi guys,

I have a 2018 X5 with comfort access and I thought I would have to code to get folding mirrors but if you hold the lock button on key fob & door handle for like 2-4 seconds they fold in
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubhtown View Post
I have a 2018 X5 with comfort access and I thought I would have to code to get folding mirrors but if you hold the lock button on key fob & door handle for like 2-4 seconds they fold in
I'm going to try this in my 2015
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

As the others have stated, you can code the mirrors with Bimmercode or other means of coding. They till fold/unfold using the comfort access OR the key FOB.

The kick to open/close is not available on the MSport F15, but is available on the MSport F16.

Yes, the dealer is feeding you some BS with the "only available with European option".

Congrats on the new F15, post some pics.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
wendivad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Kick to open is not available for the F15s. It's not even in the manual.

But it's possible to retrofit - done it myself.
It is in the manual that I was given which is why I raised the question. I wasn't even aware of it until I read the manual.
What did the retrofit involve - does one have to be technically skilled or is it reasonably straightforward to do?
Attached Images

Last edited by wendivad; 08-30-2018 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
mrfochon211.00
      08-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
wendivad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
As the others have stated, you can code the mirrors with Bimmercode or other means of coding. They till fold/unfold using the comfort access OR the key FOB.

The kick to open/close is not available on the MSport F15, but is available on the MSport F16.

Yes, the dealer is feeding you some BS with the "only available with European option".

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the manual is incorrect as it was specifically for the 2015 model (the quick start guide). I need to follow up on the recoding thread as I need to understand what I have to get equipment wise to do this.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
X5D MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Diesel M Sport

Quote:
It is in the manual that I was given which is why I raised the question. I wasn't even aware of it until I read the manual.
What did the retrofit involve - does one have to be technically skilled or is it reasonably straightforward to do?
Ditto - would like to know how to retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #11
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe it was F15/F16 manual?

Better to download BMW Driver's manual app - it gives you a manual based on VIN, with descriptions of only options you've got.

Retrofit - nothing crazy, but not a straight forward as well. You have to remove rear bumper and find a way to attach the sensors to it, then run 3 wires. And it will not work on a cars with a metal trim on the bumper: X-line cars, I guess?

I think I should write a DYI on it, the only problem I was not taking any pictures.
      08-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
wendivad
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it was F15/F16 manual?

Better to download BMW Driver's manual app - it gives you a manual based on VIN, with descriptions of only options you've got.

Retrofit - nothing crazy, but not a straight forward as well. You have to remove rear bumper and find a way to attach the sensors to it, then run 3 wires. And it will not work on a cars with a metal trim on the bumper: X-line cars, I guess?

I think I should write a DYI on it, the only problem I was not taking any pictures.
Thanks for the information. I have the M Sport package so none of the metal trim that you describe - or nothing obvious. I guess there is encoding involved too
Attached Images

Last edited by wendivad; 08-30-2018 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I have the M Sport package so none of the metal trim that you describe - or nothing obvious. I guess there is encoding involved too
I've got M-sport too.

Yep, some coding required, but that's the easiest part

Will try to put something together in the coming weeks.
      08-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #14
wendivad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post

As requested
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
Violator4587.50
      08-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #15
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Damn those rears look tucked in...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
wendivad
Rep

Quote:
I've got M-sport too.

Yep, some coding required, but that's the easiest part

Will try to put something together in the coming weeks.
I am really looking forward to seeing this as I've just got off the phone with my friendly neighborhood BMW tech (not a BMW employee but somebody recommended by BMW CCA) and he said it would cost "thousands to do, probably cheaper to get another vehicle". I am guessing that he is missing this trick that you employed
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #17
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I do not have the kick option and I don't have Msport package. I do have a factory trailer hitch though.

Is Autonation still doing that pink frame? A friend is mine really wanted one, but I gave mine to someone else and the dealer told me it was short stint thing.
      09-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #18
wendivad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post

Is Autonation still doing that pink frame? A friend is mine really wanted one, but I gave mine to someone else and the dealer told me it was short stint thing.
Your friend is welcome to have the one that I took off. I bought a week and a half ago and they were still issuing then.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #19
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am really looking forward to seeing this as I've just got off the phone with my friendly neighborhood BMW tech (not a BMW employee but somebody recommended by BMW CCA) and he said it would cost "thousands to do, probably cheaper to get another vehicle". I am guessing that he is missing this trick that you employed
It’s around $300 in parts 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #20
wendivad
Rep

Update for anyone interested. A very kind young gentleman visited my place this afternoon and did some nice coding for me which took care of the folding mirror requirement.
Appreciate 0