BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

2015 50i 40k mile mark

So I just hit the 40k mile mark on my 15' 50i that I purchased a few months ago. Besides regular oil changes which I just did, given the miles that I'm at are there any other maintenance items that I should consider ?? Plugs? Transmission fluid? The air and cabin filters were just replaced at 36k miles. Thanks fellas for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:45 AM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post
So I just hit the 40k mile mark on my 15' 50i that I purchased a few months ago. Besides regular oil changes which I just did, given the miles that I'm at are there any other maintenance items that I should consider ?? Plugs? Transmission fluid? The air and cabin filters were just replaced at 36k miles. Thanks fellas for the help.
ZF transmission (oil + filter) needs to be change every 50-75k miles (depending on driving style and conditions e.g. like towing etc) - that is what manufacturer of transmission recommends (BMW didn't' build transmission, ZF did). So you still have time, unless all this time you were towing non stop lol.

Plugs - would be a good idea to change (a must if you are tuned), but if you are stock - meh, you can probably skip it till next time.

I wouldn't touch coolant yet (too early). Brake fluid - you can change if it was never changed as per BMW (but I personally would change it when you will change rotors/pads - to do it all at once).

Transfer case and differentials - I haven't looked at yet, but I think it's safe to assume to change them together with ZF transmission (once every 50-75k miles). Not 100% sure on this to be honest. I know if I could I would change TC (transfer case) every 50k at least - just because they experience a lot of stress considering our cars weigh more than 5000lbs and 50i has a lot of torque to digest with that tiny clutch in TC. And design of that TC is such that oil quality is crucial.

Last edited by DuSh; 02-08-2019 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 4
maDjzo861.50
Russmov1328.00
Chigger88.00
eeyuu24.50
      02-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
ZF transmission (oil + filter) needs to be change every 50-75k miles (depending on driving style and conditions e.g. like towing etc) - that is what manufacturer of transmission recommends (BMW didn't' build transmission, ZF did). So you still have time, unless all this time you were towing non stop lol.

Plugs - would be a good idea to change (a must if you are tuned), but if you are stock - meh, you can probably skip it till next time.

I wouldn't touch coolant yet (too early). Brake fluid - you can change if it was never changed as per BMW (but I personally would change it when you will change rotors/pads - to do it all at once).

Transfer case and differentials - I haven't looked at yet, but I think it's safe to assume to change them together with ZF transmission (once every 50-75k miles). Not 100% sure on this to be honest. I know if I could I would change TC (transfer case) every 50k at least - just because they experience a lot of stress considering our cars weigh more than 5000lbs and 50i has a lot of torque to digest with that tiny clutch in TC. And design of that TC is such that oil quality is crucial.
Thanks man. Appreciate it
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      02-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:

Thanks man. Appreciate it
You can always count on DuSh to have the answers you need. Not really sure how he gets anything else done in a day because he's always helping on here lol
Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50