BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2022, 05:42 AM   #1
drainaps
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15, E39

Adaptive Suspension and Transmission Settings

Good morning all,

New to the F15, (2017 XDrive 3.0D), I find the preset settings /couplings of adaptive dampers and transmission not to my liking.

I like hard suspensions and I find my stock F15 has an unacceptable amount of roll, NOTHING to do with how competently my 20 year old E39 manages curvy roads! I almost get motion sickness from that suspension and I'm starting to hate it except in Sport mode.

It's a family car, there's nothing I can do, but I can't stop thinking that the F15 behaves more like an Asian car than something out of the guys in Munich. Huge disappointment.

I would like to basically be able to engage the hard setting on the dampers with any of the transmission settings (Eco Pro, Comfort or Sport).

I fear the worst, I guess there's no by the book way to do so?

Would there be any aftermarket solutions to manage the damper and transmission settings independently?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 07:14 AM   #2
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Not sure if this an option.. Perhaps upgrading to F85/86 (X5/6M) adaptive struts will help cure some of the motion sickness? It's a cheaper upgrade considering most of the F85/86 community with suspension upgrades will have decent shape adaptive struts laying around collecting dust.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

If you have the adaptive suspension option then all you need to do is put it in sport mode and it should engage and keep all 4 corners of the X5 planted.
      06-21-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
drainaps
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If you have the adaptive suspension option then all you need to do is put it in sport mode and it should engage and keep all 4 corners of the X5 planted.
Indeed but I'd like to use the "hard" suspension setting with any of the transmission modes. I find the downshifting too aggressive in sport for some everyday situations. Thanks a lot for your message.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainaps View Post
Indeed but I'd like to use the "hard" suspension setting with any of the transmission modes. I find the downshifting too aggressive in sport for some everyday situations. Thanks a lot for your message.
I am in exactly the same position, though, fortunately I don't get motion sickness because of it. I enjoy the stiff suspension on full hard, but want everything else on normal settings for that drive mode.

F15 was a compromise as buyers complained the E53 and especially E70 were too stiff and harsh. I much preferred those to the boaty F15. Thank goodness at least the AD can be put into sport for short periods, I use it on cloverleafs and other cornering situations and then immediately switch it back to comfort to avoid the downshifting and gear holding of sport.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
If you have the “adaptive” transmission…is your f15 optioned with the customizable SPORT INDIVIDUALIZATION option? If it is, when you select the driving experience SPORT mode button…do you see the option icon appear at the lower left of the Nav screen? If you do, you can make 3 SPORT selections:
  1. Drivetrain & Chassis
  2. Drivetrain
  3. Chassis

Chassis = steering and suspension
Drivetrain = engine & transmission

So if you like the “sportier” feeling of steering & suspension…but would like to hold back on the “sportier” engine & transmission mappings…then select CHASSIS ONLY to individualize SPORT MODE.

Then, if you have software or the something like the Bimmercode app…you can code your f15 to always start in SPORT mode…that way it is the DEFAULT mode and you won’t have to select it each time you start the engine.

The pics below shows my settings:
1st pic is what appears when I select SPORT mode (it shows that I’ve selected CHASSIS only)
2nd pic shows the OPTION button selected (like if I want to make changes)
3rd - 5th pics shows the 3 selections I can make and the graphic also shows if chassis, drivetrain, or both are selected. Whichever you select…the graphic will appear when you select the SPORT mode driving experience button.
FYI…if you customize SPORT mode for CHASSIS only…and you want or need the drivetrain for like a brief moment (on ramp etc)…you don’t have to look down and reach for the SPORT button then go through the iDRive controller knob to select DRIVETRAIN & CHASSIS…you can simply push the GEAR SHIFT lever over into the M/S gate which engages the drivetrain (engine & tranny) sport mode, too. If you move the lever and leave it…then you’re in sport mode…but if you move the gear shift lever, then you will engage the MANUAL shift mode.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-21-2022 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 4
///d1820.00
Vivek.1367.50
      06-21-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you have the “adaptive” transmission…is your f15 optioned with the customizable SPORT INDIVIDUALIZATION option?
I'm going to feel real dumb if that's the case... I always thought the diesels did not get customizable drive modes, even with the ADHP. Will report back.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #8
drainaps
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you have the “adaptive” transmission…is your f15 optioned with the customizable SPORT INDIVIDUALIZATION option? If it is, when you select the driving experience SPORT mode button…do you see the option icon appear at the lower left of the Nav screen? If you do, you can make 3 SPORT selections:

Drivetrain & Chassis
Drivetrain
Chassis

So if you like the “sportier” feeling of steering & suspension…but would like to hold back on the “sportier” engine & transmission mappings…then select CHASSIS ONLY to individualize SPORT MODE.

Then, if you have software or the something like the Bimmercode app…you can code your f15 to always start in SPORT mode…that way it is the DEFAULT mode and you won’t have to select it each time you start the engine.

1st pic is what appears when I select SPORT mode (it shows that I’ve selected CHASSIS only)
3rd - 5th pics shows the 3 selections I can make and the graphic also shows if chassis, drivetrain, or both are selected. Whichever you select…the graphic will appear when you select the SPORT mode driving experience button.
FYI…if you customize SPORT mode for CHASSIS only…and you want or need the drivetrain for like a brief moment (on ramp etc)…you don’t have to look down and reach for the SPORT button then go through the iDRive controller knob to select DRIVETRAIN & CHASSIS…you can simply push the GEAR SHIFT [...]
Thanks a million for the detailed and smart answer. I'll check first thing tomorrow morning and revert, but looks like you've pointed me in the right direction. A big thumbs up to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 02:01 AM   #9
drainaps
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Drivetrain & Chassis
Drivetrain
Chassis

FYI…if you customize SPORT mode for CHASSIS only…and you want or need the drivetrain for like a brief moment (on ramp etc)…you don’t have to look down and reach for the SPORT button then go through the iDRive controller knob to select DRIVETRAIN & CHASSIS…you can simply push the GEAR SHIFT [...]
Indeed you were spot-on. I can't thank you enough for helping me end this nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #10
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
I'm going to feel real dumb if that's the case... I always thought the diesels did not get customizable drive modes, even with the ADHP. Will report back.
Yes diesels get customizable driving modes. Mine has DHP and I can customize mine.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:30 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Indeed you were spot-on. I can't thank you enough for helping me end this nightmare.
Great! Good to hear it was something you could select to make your driving experience even better.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #12
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Qsilver is usually spot on with his tips/tricks on Bimmers. Super helpful.

In my case though... no dice. The drive modes only let you customize Sport and ECO Pro. I need to customize Comfort. Why? Well, because my wife likes the Sport with drivetrain and suspension settings active. I just want it with suspension active. It's her car... sooooo guess I'll just have to live with it.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #13
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Qsilver is usually spot on with his tips/tricks on Bimmers. Super helpful.

In my case though... no dice. The drive modes only let you customize Sport and ECO Pro. I need to customize Comfort. Why? Well, because my wife likes the Sport with drivetrain and suspension settings active. I just want it with suspension active. It's her car... sooooo guess I'll just have to live with it.
You can still configure sport mode for suspension only for you, and then when your wife wants susp and drivetrain she can put it in sport and just flip the shifter to the side. That will give both.

If your wife has her own key you may also be able to set these for each individual driver profile. Not sure if you can do so with only one key tho, never tried.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

LOL...I was thinking the same thing and was going to suggest it. The biggest issue is...it's HER Bimmer. If it was his, it would be easier to tell her to just push the lever over into the M/S gate when she's driving it. But since it's her ride...that makes her have to do an extra step every time she's driving.

Good point on checking if the driving mode is part of the profile for each remote.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 05:48 PM   #15
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
LOL...I was thinking the same thing and was going to suggest it. The biggest issue is...it's HER Bimmer. If it was his, it would be easier to tell her to just push the lever over into the M/S gate when she's driving it. But since it's her ride...that makes her have to do an extra step every time she's driving.

Good point on checking if the driving mode is part of the profile for each remote.
Ding Ding Ding. I could only imagine the face I would get suggesting she reset her drive mode every time she wanted to drive... or flick the shifter over.

Will have to look into the drive modes being tied to Key 1 and 2 though, we ordered another key when we bought the F15. Hate not having 2 keys for a car.
Appreciate 0