BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #1
e90FanOfD
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Purchase advice: 2017 X5 xDrive50i with M Sport

I could use guidance regarding a 2017 X5 xDrive50i with M Sport Package (48,700 miles) that I’m researching. I’m told this 2-owner X5 has been serviced at the same MBW dealership. I asked the client adviser to send me the service history for this X5, he responded with “The service history we have is on the Carfax as well.” Is this true or does the dealerships service department also keep detailed notes on cars they service? I also asked the CA about oil consumption on this specific X5, but he didn’t have that information. I haven’t owned a BMW with iDrive, so I don’t know what is recorded, i.e., amount of oil added between service intervals.

The factory warranty has expired. The dealer is offering DealerNameHere Select Certified: Includes 2YR/100K Powertrain Coverage. I'm unsure if the turbos are covered under this powertrain warranty. I lovingly owned a 2011 335d, until it was totaled in an accident. I could find mountains of technical data for the 335d but haven’t been able to find the same level of detail on the 2017 X5 xDrive50i. Since this X5 is 12k away from 60k miles, can anyone give me an idea of the upcoming maintenance? I’m very concerned about potential problems with the engine in this X5 and don’t want to make a huge mistake. This production date for this X5 is 05 APR 2017. I can post the VIN if needed Thank you in advance for any advice you may have to offer.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Yes, usually dealerships post service records to Carfax and you don't even need to pay for the report to see service records, you can add car by VIN to your Carfax garage and browser maintenance information.
You can also check this thread here about 35i vs 50i:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1282158
and this one:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1885905
You should be aware about this settlement:
https://www.isleysettlement.com/
This is also a great thread with almost everything you need to know about N63TU engine:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1507189
Also one of the many reliability threads of 50i:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1607060
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90FanOfD View Post
The factory warranty has expired. The dealer is offering DealerNameHere Select Certified: Includes 2YR/100K Powertrain Coverage. I'm unsure if the turbos are covered under this powertrain warranty.
Powertrain warranty's are a joke since they are broadly defined. They allow room for exclusions based on a play of words. Claim Example: Customer states Transfer case isn't working or is slipping. Warranty says: Clutch pack is worn and NOT covered under warranty b/c it's an wear item.

Most things you can think that will go wrong before 100K are not considered "powertrain". The word and how the dealer will use it will make you feel like you are covered, but that's b/c logically you convinced yourself powertrain should cover just about everything; reality very little is actually covered. Even a bumper to bumper warranty doesn't mean what it sounds like anymore.

Your best bet is to exclude that "powertrain coverage" from your decision process as it is nothing more than window dressing and a sales technique.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 04:40 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Your client advisor sound pretty low effort just pointing you to the Carfax report, which are mostly a joke IMO when it comes to service/maintenance information. If services/maintenance have been done at the dealer, there would be better details in the dealership records even if the work was done at a different dealer (up to the factory warranty expiration is what my service advisor has told me... after that dealer X can't see any work done by dealer Y... not sure if still true).

Ask the 'client advisor' to get you in touch with a 'service advisor' ... or better yet just walk into the service dept. on your own and ask to speak with someone who can actually give you some meaningful information.

As with any warranty, make sure to read the fine print. Most are a waste of $ and have numerous exclusions. You're better off finding one on your own vs. what the dealership wants to sell you, and make sure it's an exclusionary warranty and not an inclusionary one. And that's not to say you need one or should have one - oftentimes the cost of a warranty will exceed you just paying for repairs along the way prior to warranty expiration.

Good luck, the 50i is a blast to own & drive, and this generation are overall very reliable.

Last edited by jiggz; 06-21-2022 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #5
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

The thing with this is that some of these records are technically confidential, and some dealerships may have a policy against sharing them with anyone who didn't pay for the work or didn't own the car when the work was performed.

The dealer may know more than Carfax, but carfax records are a good place to start. At 48k it shouldn't have needed much more than oil changes, so if it's had at least 3 or 4 it's within spec.

iDrive doesn't log oil added between intervals to my knowledge. Oi
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Ask for service records from Davis (also called "warranty vehicle inquiry"). The reason why they don't share the report is for privacy reasons, as it has the previous owner's name & address - the selling dealer can simply hide that and provide the service info.

Try getting quotes from CNA for warranty, they're among the best 3rd party warranty companies that offers an exclusionary plan (only sold at dealers - you can call CNA and ask for a list of dealers selling their plans in your area, then contact the finance mgrs of the dealerships for quotes). If you're ok with an inclusionary plan, I'd recommend libertybell. HTH
Appreciate 0