BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Rear wiper washer problem

While driving to work yesterday morning, I noticed that the rear window washer wasn't working. I could hear the motor when I turned the switch, but no fluid would spray on the rear window. When I was able to check it out in my garage after work, it looks like the fluid isn't coming out of the nozzle, but is instead leaking around the high-mounted brake light. Maybe something got disconnected with our recent cold snap.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

I made an appointment to bring it in for service a week from this Monday. I'll post more when I know more
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

With the cold here in MN yesterday my X5 was saying:" Drivetrain Malfunction. Please drive carefully and contact your service advisor". Well, called 2 dealers and none of them had an appointment available before next Thursday. Glad this morning the warning was gone so probably just a sensor going crazy with -7F. However, I am amazed how dealers could care less about customers. One suggested me to get the car towed to the dealer but no loaners or anything before Thursday next week. Too much for customer service.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
With the cold here in MN yesterday my X5 was saying:" Drivetrain Malfunction. Please drive carefully and contact your service advisor". Well, called 2 dealers and none of them had an appointment available before next Thursday. Glad this morning the warning was gone so probably just a sensor going crazy with -7F. However, I am amazed how dealers could care less about customers. One suggested me to get the car towed to the dealer but no loaners or anything before Thursday next week. Too much for customer service.
On the bimmerfest F15 board there are three people with this warning, and the problem incapacitated their vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

The service advisor I talked said yesterday was a busy day with calls about all types of warnings due to sensors going crazy with the very cold temperatures here. He said if something is really wrong the car would not drive at more than 20mph. In my case the car was perfect and after it stayed inside my heated garage overnight the warning did not pop up this morning. Will keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
On the bimmerfest F15 board there are three people with this warning, and the problem incapacitated their vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
plizardi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Hi all

New to the forums, and about to be the owner of my first bmw. I ordered my X5 November 14th, and it started production on the 4th of December. I currently live in Texas but due to unexpected circumstances with work I will be moving to Grand Forks, ND. It will be my first time living in such extreme winters, and seeing these posts makes me worry about purchasing the X5. Anyone have further insight into these problems? I'm worried about the viability of the car in this weather. Also, if I had to park my car outdoors at work overnight in extreme cold, will I be able to start the car in the morning?

Appreciate the input
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

I live in Minneapolis and I am in my 4th X5 since 2006 and never had any problems related to weather. We get snow in the ground from November to May and temperatures get down to -25F not considering windshield. I always used the all weather tires that came in the car and never used winter tires. I really hoped you ordered the Cold Package which is essential if you live up north. The heated seats and steering wheel is "mandatory" here.

We never leave the car outside during the night but my wife parks outside from 8AM to 5PM every weekday and the car stars perfectly.

I would not worry about the viability of the car. It is built to work in this kind of weather. If I were you I would make sure you adapt your driving skills to this kind of weather. You will get snow, ice, sleet, etc.. for may months and it is not easy to drive in these conditions since no matter what car you have it won't be an easy ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plizardi View Post
Hi all

New to the forums, and about to be the owner of my first bmw. I ordered my X5 November 14th, and it started production on the 4th of December. I currently live in Texas but due to unexpected circumstances with work I will be moving to Grand Forks, ND. It will be my first time living in such extreme winters, and seeing these posts makes me worry about purchasing the X5. Anyone have further insight into these problems? I'm worried about the viability of the car in this weather. Also, if I had to park my car outdoors at work overnight in extreme cold, will I be able to start the car in the morning?

Appreciate the input
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
coconut780
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 xDrive50i

^fully agree with above. Weather is not a factor and whatever problems people are experiencing are problems that some dealers seem to be making a lousy excuse for that it's weather related.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plizardi View Post
Hi all

Appreciate the input
IMO, the issues that you are reading about are more related to new model "teething pains" rather than problems caused only by the cold weather. As has been said in this thread, BMW designs the X5 with cold weather use in mind and I'm confident they will work out these early kinks.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: I had a service appointment scheduled for next Monday, but now the rear washer is working properly. I'm guessing that there was some water in the line or in the nozzle that froze with our recent sub zero temperatures. I haven't had any issues over the last few days so I cancelled the appointment.

Sorry for the false alarm.
Appreciate 0