BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
DannyITR
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

What is up with the rear seat DVD playback? Can't be done??

I'm a journalist test driving the new X5 Xdrive40e and the vehicle is equipped with the rear seat entertainment system. I've spent a good hour trying to play a simple DVD and to no avail.

I discovered that there is a rear dvd player that must be operated from the back seat. Very silly considering many toddlers won't be able to do this under age 5. But the problem is that the movie cannot be viewed in the rear with sound coming out of the speakers. It only lets you hear it form the headphones (which are also missing). My kids simply cannot watch a movie!!

To resume: I can play the DVD in the front screen and have the sound in the speakers while the vehicle is stopped.

I can put a movie in the rear but with no remote it stays at the title screen

Even if I had the remote, the third kid cannot enjoy the movie because it's only audible through the headphones.

What in the actual F$% is BMW thinking with this system? I just want to put a DVD in, hear it and see it on all screens. It's impossible!!

Can someone help me?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Without any experience in the rear entertainment, I'm of no help to you unfortunately. I would make a trip back to the dealer and note the missing items. They can also walk you through its operation in their delivery center (I assume every BMW dealer has one???).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyITR View Post
I'm a journalist test driving the new X5 Xdrive40e and the vehicle is equipped with the rear seat entertainment system. I've spent a good hour trying to play a simple DVD and to no avail.

I discovered that there is a rear dvd player that must be operated from the back seat. Very silly considering many toddlers won't be able to do this under age 5. But the problem is that the movie cannot be viewed in the rear with sound coming out of the speakers. It only lets you hear it form the headphones (which are also missing). My kids simply cannot watch a movie!!

To resume: I can play the DVD in the front screen and have the sound in the speakers while the vehicle is stopped.

I can put a movie in the rear but with no remote it stays at the title screen

Even if I had the remote, the third kid cannot enjoy the movie because it's only audible through the headphones.

What in the actual F$% is BMW thinking with this system? I just want to put a DVD in, hear it and see it on all screens. It's impossible!!

Can someone help me?
For some odd reason your test car came without the remote control for the rear unit and without at least one heaset - both were delivered to me with the rear entertainment on my 2015 X5.

Anyhow, you are very right: the rear system is not easy to operate for grown-ups - but my ten year daughter operates it all by herself and seems quite happy with it.

Still, it is no match for the rear entertainment system on a Grand Voyager, which reads Blu-Rays and has larger screens.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
DannyITR
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

I found the remote (rear arm rest compartment) so I can play a movie now.

I spoke to the dealer and it seems sound from the rear system is only available through headphones. How can this be possible?? That means only two kids can watch a movie and it also means when stopped, the whole family still cannot watch a movie either. I can't believe BMW would design a system like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Most be a Canada thing.
Because my system plays and sound with out headphones. There is an option also in the system to either choose speakers of the car or headphones.
Play DVD from the back system for the back screens and play DVD on the front system for the front only, sad but true.
Need to code for Driving and playing DVD because is not legal to drive while playing by default. The back plays while driving with out coding.

Last edited by Nonopr01; 09-20-2016 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
Class5Kayaker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F15, 2014 Porsche 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyITR View Post
I found the remote (rear arm rest compartment) so I can play a movie now.

I spoke to the dealer and it seems sound from the rear system is only available through headphones. How can this be possible?? That means only two kids can watch a movie and it also means when stopped, the whole family still cannot watch a movie either. I can't believe BMW would design a system like this.
I'm sure you could order extra headsets for additional kids, but yeah it's a way overpriced system for what you get. Much better investment is to just buy iPads and load movies on to them. Bigger screens and they do much more than just play movies at a cheaper price.

2016 BMW F15 xDrive 35i - Imperial Blue Metallic
2014 Porsche 991- Sapphire Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 04:07 AM   #7
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
This seems the same on every other major European marque? Seems it works the same on BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar/Land Rover, Audi, Bentley... hard to use, confusing rear entertainment, overpriced system.

Pretty sure the car didn't come with headphones so you couldn't take them. Not saying you would, just they don't people taking them accidentally or whatever.
Appreciate 0