BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2024, 08:02 AM   #1
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Oil at minimum level add quart asap

Hello everyone,
Driving home yesterday morning from Connecticut, just like the title reads, oil at minimum level add a quart of oil ASAP. On the I-Drive screen I press OK , pull over and add a quart from the trunk. Continue on my journey and notice that the warning light on the dash board has gone away. Also when I checked the oil level on I drive while driving there was no reading and it told me to reset the oil reading when car is parked. When i arrive home I immediately check the I-Drive to see where my oil level is. I was surprised to see the oil level at maximum since the I drive told me I was at minimum level and to add a quart. If you are at minimum level according to I-Drive and a warning pops up that tells me that my oil level is low and it would take at least two quarts of oil to reach maximum. Am I wrong? This is the first time since I've owned the vehicle that this has happened. Any thought appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:58 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Driving home yesterday morning from Connecticut, just like the title reads, oil at minimum level add a quart of oil ASAP. On the I-Drive screen I press OK , pull over and add a quart from the trunk. Continue on my journey and notice that the warning light on the dash board has gone away.
When you get the add oil warning...you put in the amount that it tells you to put in. You wrote that your iDrive screens said to add a quart (or a liter)...you did so...which means you put in the correct amount. If it tells you to put in TWO quarts (or liters)...then that's what you should put in....but you were told to add 1 quart.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:17 PM   #3
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I received the same message a few days ago, added one liter of oil and all was good with the world. I even checked the oil level afterwards This message will appear normally when your getting close to an oil service like mine is.
      03-08-2024, 07:27 AM   #4
secretariat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
I received the same message a few days ago, added one liter of oil and all was good with the world. I even checked the oil level afterwards This message will appear normally when your getting close to an oil service like mine is.
Yullie 36, I had an oil change 1000 miles ago, but thanks for the response. I checked the oil level after the service and it wasn't all the way at maximum. I've always had to add oil in between oil changes, but never at only a 1000 miles. Perhaps it's because it wasn't filled to the maximum this time. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:00 AM   #5
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I would definitely say, that was the issue. We have to ensure that our vehicle's oil level is at the maximum at all times. I'm curious to know why the S63 engine consumes so much oil period. My E63 AMG, would consume about 1 liter of oil between oil changes every six months. But since owning my X5M, I'm topping off the oil about six times between oil changes. And it seems the harder I run it, the more the oil fill light will notify me to add another liter of oil. I just purchased a F80 M3, but will be curious to see if it drinks oil like my F85.
      03-08-2024, 01:33 PM   #6
secretariat
Major
Rep

I has an F80 M3 it does not
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:51 AM   #7
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, i3

Same experience. I've had an f80 for six years and have never had to add a liter. The f85 gets 2-3 liters added between every change.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 01:18 PM   #8
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Well, that is good news that my M3 shouldn't burn any oil. Just in case, I carry 2 liters of oil under the trunk floor. I guess that I've gotten accustomed to doing this in my X5M all these years, so I carry 2 liters in that vehicle as well.