Drives: ///M //AMG

not a big fan.
      03-17-2015, 03:19 AM   #46
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

The new X5 and the new Range Rovers have gotten way too bloated and too expensive for my taste. If I ever go with a wagon or SUV it would be the X4M, it is just the right size.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:25 AM   #47
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
The new X5 and the new Range Rovers have gotten way too bloated and too expensive for my taste. If I ever go with a wagon or SUV it would be the X4M, it is just the right size.
If indeed there *were* an X4M it'd absolutely be worth considering ;p

In all seriousness, that'd likely be a really fun car....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 06:23 AM   #48
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto
100% have to change out that front bumper. Too much going on there...
It's busy but all done on purpose.
I always thought it was on accident, because you know.... Bangle.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #49
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
We mock what we dont understand
True that!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #50
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Yeah my dealer just got their first one today too
Which dealer? Erhard Farmington?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #51
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Yes Erhard Farmington. I get all my cars from them.
Attached Images

2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #52
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I agree, too much going on up front
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #53
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
I agree, too much going on up front
big mouth billy bass

how much krill does that thing eat a day?

(it does look a lot better tho)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #54
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

How you do performance front end...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #55
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I agree. Just like the winter time in New Jersey is not a great time to hit the beach. They're SUMMER tires. Not all seasons and certainly not winters.

This is an ///M, not a no line. If it came with anything less than high performance summer tires, it would be disgusting. Why buy all that power and limit the performance with inadequate tires? Who buys an ///M for mountain trails? It's one thing to disagree with the whole premise of an ///M SUV, that's a different point entirely, if that's what you're really getting at... but IMHO it's just silly to say a car with all of those performance upgrades should fall short where the car meets the road.
I understand that it's a M line but don't forget that BMW X vehicles come with all wheel drive. They don't really need all that sticky rubber to get the power down. I think it's sillier that you buy a SUV that can only be driven during the summer.

Also didn't realize the Dueler were the H/P summer models. Bummer...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #56
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya335
Quote:
I agree. Just like the winter time in New Jersey is not a great time to hit the beach. They're SUMMER tires. Not all seasons and certainly not winters.

This is an ///M, not a no line. If it came with anything less than high performance summer tires, it would be disgusting. Why buy all that power and limit the performance with inadequate tires? Who buys an ///M for mountain trails? It's one thing to disagree with the whole premise of an ///M SUV, that's a different point entirely, if that's what you're really getting at... but IMHO it's just silly to say a car with all of those performance upgrades should fall short where the car meets the road.
I understand that it's a M line but don't forget that BMW X vehicles come with all wheel drive. They don't really need all that sticky rubber to get the power down. I think it's sillier that you buy a SUV that can only be driven during the summer.

Doesn't matter that it has xdrive, it could also have 6x6 like Mercedes G AMG. Winter tires are made to improve acceleration, handling, and most important Braking!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #57
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
My X5M came with 20in Bridgestone Duelers, but those were Summer tires. For that reason, I have dedicated set of wheels with Winter tires. Trying to drive in snow with summers is like wearing flip flop sandals (and no socks) in the winter and complaining your feet are cold. No matter what, people will complain - either get summer + winter wheels OR get all season tires and be done with it.
Just curious, what kind of winter tires are you running that fit the OEM rim? I looked around but didn't really notice anything in the 315 width range. Or do you just run another set of wheels?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #58
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
My X5M came with 20in Bridgestone Duelers, but those were Summer tires. For that reason, I have dedicated set of wheels with Winter tires. Trying to drive in snow with summers is like wearing flip flop sandals (and no socks) in the winter and complaining your feet are cold. No matter what, people will complain - either get summer + winter wheels OR get all season tires and be done with it.
Just curious, what kind of winter tires are you running that fit the OEM rim? I looked around but didn't really notice anything in the 315 width range. Or do you just run another set of wheels?
You can try Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Run Flat
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #59
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya335 View Post
I have separate set of wheels for winter. I'm running 298M wheels with Goodyear Ultra Grip ROF. Its a square setup (255/50R19), though. I think those are the only ones that will fit an M because of the big ass brakes. I'll be switching back to the staggered summers soon after I give them a good cleaning.

But, there are winter tires in 315 like the Pirellis that rcpx6m mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #60
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:

A bit dramatic.. You of course can drive it all year. You just need proper tires for the temperature and weather conditions. Most all-seasons, not all, but certainly most of what comes delivered, are barely more than useless in real winter temperatures anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #61
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
Have people stopped whining about the little boomerang thing that started on the 4 series?

That was all I would hear about, now it's largely accepted it seems.
Nope.. I've read here that people are going to replace it with carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #62
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
Have people stopped whining about the little boomerang thing that started on the 4 series?

That was all I would hear about, now it's largely accepted it seems.
Nope.. I've read here that people are going to replace it with carbon fiber
No CF. Just gloss black. At least OEM from BMW.
      03-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #63
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
This obviously depends on your needs and/or tolerance level for A) extra planning for day-to-day activities (i.e., don't bring your double stroller to the grocery store, or you won't have much roof left for groceries) and more strategic packing for trips and B) the more cramped cabin (ex. squeezing your knees in like a sport sedan/coupe).

I argued for a while that an X3, with arguably more utility than an X4 due to the chopped roof of the 4, was the perfect size for a family of 4, as long as you are willing to accept A & B above… After 2 years doing exactly that, I no longer was, so went back to an X5 and don't regret it for a second.

Long story short, having done both, I would argue that anyone that thinks the X5 is too big, doesn't actually need a wagon or SUV. It's too small to satisfy many real needs, unless you just need something with better ground clearance, but don't need much more utility or any more space than a mid-size sedan.

The X5 is the perfect size, imho. I wink because there is no such thing
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #64
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

The X5 is the perfect size, imho.
Agree. Use my x5d for tow vehicle for my m3. Fill it up with gear and spare wheels. Works well in that capacity and prefer it to a pickup and get better gas mileage while doing so. Bigger projects I just use the trailer to haul things.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #65
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
No CF. Just gloss black. At least OEM from BMW.
To me, the only way it looks acceptable is paint matched… not all that noticeable that way, doesn't necessarily look good or bad, just there, functional. I kind of like it that way, but wouldn't necessarily go as far as to say it looks good. Gloss black would work fine on a black car I'm sure, but I still don't get why any BMW design team thinks it needs attention drawn to it like an Infiniti FX (or whatever they're calling it now). The older, smaller side vents, sure, nice little accent. But it's too big now, just let it blend in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #66
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

You do realize there is more to tires than "getting the power down".

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0