BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
enzom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M/20 720S/20 992 C4S

Switch from Range Rover Sport Supercharged?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi, all. New to the forum. I have a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and am considering getting out of it and into a 2015 X5M. I have driven the X5M, and know how much sportier it feels. But I have some concerns about how it will fare in the winter.

Clearly, with the new X5M being released only a few weeks ago in the US, nobody has really been through a winter with one. But for those that had the previous generation, I think you can help.

I put snow tires on my RRS, and have been able to drive it all throughout this terrible winter in NJ. Truck never let me down. For deep snow (usually unplowed driveways), I would raise the truck with the height adjustment and get over and out of everything.

The X5M does not have any height adjustment, and the front spoiler is kind of low. Has anyone had a problem getting through deep snow with the X5M (assuming it is on a set of winter wheels/tires)? Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I think the X5 is a better "on road" car in every way, with the exception of what you need it for.

You will miss not having the height adjustment and the better 4x4 capability.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
I had an E70 X5M. We have a cabin in the Washington mountains, which has a long (usually unplowed) driveway in the winter.

I never had an issue with my X5M in the snow, with good winter tires. Took it up the mountain pass to go skiing, on icy roads, and in and around the cabin.

My F86 X6M is a much more well-mannered (unless you push the right sequence of buttons) car than the E70 X5M was. My feel is it'll be an amazing winter car - and it is incredible fun with the massive summer rims ;p
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
enzom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I think the X5 is a better "on road" car in every way, with the exception of what you need it for.

You will miss not having the height adjustment and the better 4x4 capability.
Thanks. That's my fear. I keep thinking about how many times I made my own parking spot in plowed lots by driving up a pile of snow and being on an angle. Having all that ground clearance made it possible.

But man is the X5M sweeeeet.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I was cross shopping the RRS SVR and Cayenne Turbo S recently. Love them both. Couldn't drive the Turbo S, but did drive the SVR. Both are great vehicles. What reaffirmed my decision was primarily the technology.

But, if I were in your situation, I'd probably stick with the RRS. I no longer live in a climate that requires 4x4 and higher ground clearance. Back when we did, the RRS was a shortlist contender.
      04-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5M

I just traded in my RRS Autobiography to eventually get into the x5M at the end of the summer. RRS Atb was great truck but I had a ton of small electronic issues (search the forum where I did a full review). End of the day, I love BMW's, the way they drive is just different. RRS has horrible electronics and BMW is stacked with cool features like heads up display, lane departure (much better than RRS), better bird's eye cam, high def cam, way better GPS/maps, apps.

My concerns with X5M: need to get separate winter tires (I hate switching tires, did it with my M3 for 4 years but ce la vie...), no heated front windshield (awesome feature in the RRS), the rear windshield wiper is in view (RRS has sick hidden wiper) and doesn't go up/down like the RRS (but I dont really need to go offroad -- I had 22" rims on RRS ATB so would have been tough anyway)

The porsche cay turbo was just too expensive. The GTS was gorgeous but SLOOOOOOOOOOOW vs. the RRS and x5M. No brainer being a huge BMW fan to make the switch back to the brand.
      04-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzom
Hi, all. New to the forum. I have a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and am considering getting out of it and into a 2015 X5M. I have driven the X5M, and know how much sportier it feels. But I have some concerns about how it will fare in the winter.

Clearly, with the new X5M being released only a few weeks ago in the US, nobody has really been through a winter with one. But for those that had the previous generation, I think you can help.

I put snow tires on my RRS, and have been able to drive it all throughout this terrible winter in NJ. Truck never let me down. For deep snow (usually unplowed driveways), I would raise the truck with the height adjustment and get over and out of everything.

The X5M does not have any height adjustment, and the front spoiler is kind of low. Has anyone had a problem getting through deep snow with the X5M (assuming it is on a set of winter wheels/tires)? Thanks for the insight.
X5M on a good set of snows should preform as well as an RRS in anything but the most extreme circumstances... Very few of which you'll ever encounter in NJ.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

I loved the drive of the range rover but hated the tech/gadgets.

I ended up getting a bmw 6 series for speed and a grand cherokee summit for everything else.

Honestly after driving the grand cherokee for almost a year now I don't miss the range rover sport at all. The tech/gadgets on the jeep are great and the drive feels the same to me as the range rover (with the exception of the speed). Obviously not as luxurious, but still nice.

This post probably doesn't help you at all, but thought I would put a good plug in for Jeep.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
enzom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I loved the drive of the range rover but hated the tech/gadgets.

I ended up getting a bmw 6 series for speed and a grand cherokee summit for everything else.

Honestly after driving the grand cherokee for almost a year now I don't miss the range rover sport at all. The tech/gadgets on the jeep are great and the drive feels the same to me as the range rover (with the exception of the speed). Obviously not as luxurious, but still nice.

This post probably doesn't help you at all, but thought I would put a good plug in for Jeep.
Ha - I appreciate it. I have a 2015 911 Turbo that I drive when I really want to "drive". I just hate the drop off in performance between the 911 and the RRS - which is supposed to be "sporty". I am sure that as great as the Jeep is (I had a 2004 and a 2007 GC - they were great every day trucks), it will not address the shortfall I see in the RRS. While I can't expect any truck to track and turn and hold the road like a 911 Turbo, I can't see the Jeep doing those things as well as the RRS
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
enzom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
X5M on a good set of snows should preform as well as an RRS in anything but the most extreme circumstances... Very few of which you'll ever encounter in NJ.
While we did not get creamed like Boston and parts of New England, 6 to 8 inches of snow was like "so what?" by the time winter finally ended. I needed my snow tires and ground clearance more than ever. I hope next winter is better. For all of us.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzom View Post
Ha - I appreciate it. I have a 2015 911 Turbo that I drive when I really want to "drive". I just hate the drop off in performance between the 911 and the RRS - which is supposed to be "sporty". I am sure that as great as the Jeep is (I had a 2004 and a 2007 GC - they were great every day trucks), it will not address the shortfall I see in the RRS. While I can't expect any truck to track and turn and hold the road like a 911 Turbo, I can't see the Jeep doing those things as well as the RRS
How about a Cayenne then? It's been a while since I have been in one, but I thought it had height adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #12
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
While we did not get creamed like Boston and parts of New England, 6 to 8 inches of snow was like "so what?" by the time winter finally ended. I needed my snow tires and ground clearance more than ever. I hope next winter is better. For all of us.
This winter was no fun- but I'd be shocked if you encountered any situation where the RRS would have outperformed the X5M (both with snows).

The X5M, like the RRS, has torque vectoring, adaptive anti-roll bars and ample ground clearance for a NJ winter.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
enzom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How about a Cayenne then? It's been a while since I have been in one, but I thought it had height adjustment.
Thanks - I was originally considering the Cayenne Turbo and drove one three weeks ago. It does have an air suspension that rises and lowers. But the rear seat was a bit cramped (my kids complained about my last generation RRS being too tight), getting the dog crate in the trunk requires me to lower the rear seats to get the privacy screen out (big PITA), I felt some torque steer when I floored it from a standstill, and I couldn't justify paying that great a monthly premium over my RRS. I liked it, but didn't love it.

Enjoyed driving the X5M more.
Appreciate 0