10-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #23
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFBlue
The aesthetic look is basically the same since the angel eyes are LED regardless of which package you have. The LED's headlights have an LED bar across the headlight whereas the non-LED are empty in the ring. Save your $1900 unless you are willing to code the LED's to allow the anti-dazzle function to work. Just my opinion after seeing both in action.

Dude, sorry about this comment but,

You can't compare the cheap version of the light versus the upgraded LED.

The look of the upgraded LEDs are way better and look much more premium. Once again, You can not compare it at all!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #24
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
I have the full LED headlights on my 535i. While aesthetically it looked a lot better than the xenons, I didn't think it was worth the $1900 after owning the car for a year so I opted out of them on my X5 50i that is coming in.

Aside from aesthetics, the only thing that makes the LED better than xenons is the color of the light. Brightness-wise is actually not any better because all U.S. spec headlights are restricted to a certain brightness due to laws and regulations. So while the LED lights CAN be brighter than xenons, it actually isn't because they get dimmed down in the U.S. to comply with our laws.

Another factor of getting LEDs is the automatic high-beams. I actually had my LED headlights on the 535i coded to do the adaptive high-beam and to be honest, it is nowhere as good as it is advertised and is pretty much useless unless you're driving on pitch black 2 lane roads all the time.
      10-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #25
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz View Post
I have the full LED headlights on my 535i. While aesthetically it looked a lot better than the xenons, I didn't think it was worth the $1900 after owning the car for a year so I opted out of them on my X5 50i that is coming in.

Aside from aesthetics, the only thing that makes the LED better than xenons is the color of the light. Brightness-wise is actually not any better because all U.S. spec headlights are restricted to a certain brightness due to laws and regulations. So while the LED lights CAN be brighter than xenons, it actually isn't because they get dimmed down in the U.S. to comply with our laws.

Another factor of getting LEDs is the automatic high-beams. I actually had my LED headlights on the 535i coded to do the adaptive high-beam and to be honest, it is nowhere as good as it is advertised and is pretty much useless unless you're driving on pitch black 2 lane roads all the time.
It is rare for someone to be able to be so objective on a pricey option. Most people get an option and have to back up their purchase so that they don't feel duped or regret for spending the cash. Hence you see the 'best thing since sliced bread' posts. I've had ACC and it isn't worth it so I passed this time. LED is very cool but I rather spend the $1900 on something else.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #26
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

If the standard X5 lights were halogen instead of xenon, I'd very likely upgrade to LED. It just wasn't worth it to me to upgrade from already great headlights. If the upgrade from xenon to LED was $500, I would have upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #27
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

One can say the same about coming from Xenon to LED. The brightness at night and wider field of vision of LED is simply night and day from Xenon.

The aesthetic look of LED is very different than standard Xenon as well, especially at night you get all quad lights activated instead of two. You also have LED amber lights compared to conventional halogen corners.

At 70~80k+ range for well equipped X5s, $1900 is well worth the splurge considering what it brings to the table.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #28
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

That could be a fair point. Just depends how you look at it. Either way is correct as long as you're honest with yourself.

Has there been an A/B comparison with photos between the xenon and LED at night? I've heard anecdotal experiences on both sides.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #29
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
That could be a fair point. Just depends how you look at it. Either way is correct as long as you're honest with yourself.

Has there been an A/B comparison with photos between the xenon and LED at night? I've heard anecdotal experiences on both sides.
Next time @Hang0ver is in my area, we'll take pics of his LED next to my Bi-Xenon .
      10-16-2014, 10:52 PM   #30
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Next time @Hang0ver is in my area, we'll take pics of his LED next to my Bi-Xenon .
I think pictures don't do justice with auto brightness and limitations of lens size. With auto brightness it ends up looking either brighter than they are or dimmer, even on side by side results may vary. It's best to see them in person, that's not to say we won't enjoy those pictures. Looking forward to seeing them.
      10-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #31
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

What convinced me to buy the LED over standard xenons was not only was it brighter and "newer" looking, but the front turn signals are also LED compared to the old halogen bulbs on the standard xenon's turn signal. It's just so satisfying to see that thin yellow light flash on and off vs. the slow glow of the halogen bulbs. Really makes the X5 look like a new generation vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #32
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverx View Post
What convinced me to buy the LED over standard xenons was not only was it brighter and "newer" looking, but the front turn signals are also LED compared to the old halogen bulbs on the standard xenon's turn signal. It's just so satisfying to see that thin yellow light flash on and off vs. the slow glow of the halogen bulbs. Really makes the X5 look like a new generation vehicle.
Totally agree, you know my take on this LED thing is, remember when 2011 E70 was released with those yellow halo lights and everyone had to buy bright light angel eyes update and mess their knuckles trying to swap them? Why? Because standard rings were yellow-ish.

Now, the current standard halos are still pretty cool, bright and attractive, but people will be complaining as they see more and more LEDs why they have an ugly amber bulb as turn signal, so they will try to swap it with LED which will give them flickers or errors until they code their vehicle, it only costs $100 and sure beats the ridiculous $1900 tag of LED package but you still don't get the overall good looks.

The only issue I see with this is that when low beams are on the halos almost disappear and there is a very obvious glare off the headlight lenses on LEDs which is not as apparent on the xenons. Or maybe because LEDs are brighter on shorter range it makes any dirt, etc shine right back? Glad I got the winter package with headlight washers..
When @opasha takes pictures side by side with LED we will be able see those, but his is not going to be a fair comparison since he got the LED turn signals so his is less ugly.
      10-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #33
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
The only issue I see with this is that when low beams are on the halos almost disappear and there is a very obvious glare off the headlight lenses on LEDs which is not as apparent on the xenons. Or maybe because LEDs are brighter on shorter range it makes any dirt, etc shine right back? Glad I got the winter package with headlight washers..
When @opasha takes pictures side by side with LED we will be able see those, but his is not going to be a fair comparison since he got the LED turn signals so his is less ugly.
You can code the halos to stay bright when the low beams are on so they don't "disappear." Without coding they will dim when the low beams turn on.

Edit: I guess to each their own. We all want our cars to look and feel a certain way. And technology always supersedes the product delivered to us by BMW. There will always be something newer, better, more efficient...etc. that we can modify our cars with, but that's entirely subjective and up to the each persons taste.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #34
bike99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 25 xDrive

So now I have led headlights after using xenons for over 15 years. Do I see huge difference? Not really. I drove at night at the "normal" road. They worked perfectly well, but could not see much difference from my adaptive xenons in f11. I guess without comparing one after another it's quite difficult to say what the real difference is.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #35
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike99 View Post
So now I have led headlights after using xenons for over 15 years. Do I see huge difference? Not really. I drove at night at the "normal" road. They worked perfectly well, but could not see much difference from my adaptive xenons in f11. I guess without comparing one after another it's quite difficult to say what the real difference is.
You should code Variable Light Distribution - makes a big difference in my opinion on how intelligently the low beams work/move.
      11-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #36
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
While LED package is nice, I don't think it worth $1,900.
I would rather have Night vision if you want the cool factor.
LED is just a transformer looking eye lid, but with night vision, your cool headlights laser beams the possible oncoming deers! so cool!
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #37
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
regardless of how cool they look on the car, the light output is amazing. I had a X5 w/ LED headlights behind me on a back road (5-8 car lengths). I was amazed at the light output to the point that I shut off my headlights to really see the output and I could drive at night just based on the LED's behind me.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #38
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
regardless of how cool they look on the car, the light output is amazing. I had a X5 w/ LED headlights behind me on a back road (5-8 car lengths). I was amazed at the light output to the point that I shut off my headlights to really see the output and I could drive at night just based on the LED's behind me.
That's what they are known for. The depth. Xenons are more so for a broader width and what's directly in front of you. Both are great and have their own unique attributes. I'd be happy with either or.

Those of you in the US considering the LEDs for the Anti-Dazzle feature to be coded...it's not going to happen because the European hardware is different from the US hardware. Just a disclaimer if that's one of your top reasons for choosing them.
      11-04-2014, 02:24 AM   #39
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Can anyone say from experience or certain that LED lights are brighter than xenon? The impression I get is that it's certainly more versatile, responsive/adaptive!

I'm thinking of ordering a M50d before the end of the year ! Will post a proposed spec soon and welcome feedback :-)
      11-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #40
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
Can anyone say from experience or certain that LED lights are brighter than xenon? The impression I get is that it's certainly more versatile, responsive/adaptive!
Let me put it this way... Where I live we don't have many cars around driving with LED headlights – mostly halogens and xenons. And even when I pass by a 2014 MB ML/GL (those have one of the brightest xenons I've encountered on the road yet) – I still feell like I’m literally the only real light source out there when driving around at night. So, long story short - just go for LED.

P.S. Believe me, come 2016-2017 - we'll be all switching to lasers Not just because they're times better than LEDs, but because designers are able to shape them any way they like - and that's what matters a lot these days (another reason while you're going to see more and more LED headlights on the roads).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #41
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post

I'm thinking of ordering a M50d before the end of the year ! Will post a proposed spec soon and welcome feedback :-)
They are bright and bounces back most surfaces clearly where xenons did not, especially painted road signs, lane marker, etc they just glow right back at you , see my following comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Let me put it this way... Where I live we don't have many cars around driving with LED headlights – mostly halogens and xenons. And even when I pass by a 2014 MB ML/GL (those have one of the brightest xenons I've encountered on the road yet) – I still feell like I’m literally the only real light source out there when driving around at night. So, long story short - just go for LED.

P.S. Believe me, come 2016-2017 - we'll be all switching to lasers Not just because they're times better than LEDs, but because designers are able to shape them any way they like - and that's what matters a lot these days (another reason while you're going to see more and more LED headlights on the roads).
To be honest, with my 2012 E70, I had a similar experience. I was always outshining whoever was in front of me, including benzes and audis, but I can't tell if their light was more forward focused than spread, because in E70 Xenons were extremely precise, they would not flood out of place or spread unevenly. I had a perfectly visible line which made it very distinguishable from whoever was in front of me, even if they had set of xenons. With LED's I do not experience this anymore, they are just spreading everywhere and they are surely leveled higher than xenons. I haven't had a chance to compare xenons and LEDs on F15, but all I can say is I am glad I got the LEDs, I am pretty sure F15 xenons are very similar if not the same as E70's which means road signs and markers do not shine right back at you no matter how far you are.
Could $1900 be spent elsewhere? Definitely. I ran out of options and this was the only other thing that would be useful for me and if I wanted to get something else or upgrade then I would have to sacrifice other stuff like driver assistance, hud, etc.. and I didn't want to do that.
      11-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #42
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

I think people are failing to realize that it's simply a LONGER beam that increases the depth so they "think" it appears brighter. You actually lose peripheral light, which is where the Bi-Xenon shines. Both are great in their own respect, but don't knock the xenons, guys .
      11-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #43
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I think people are failing to realize that it's simply a LONGER beam that increases the depth so they "think" it appears brighter. You actually lose peripheral light, which is where the Bi-Xenon shines. Both are great in their own respect, but don't knock the xenons, guys .
It's definitely whiter than xenons, and I think depending on painted road lane markers, they just appear much brighter due to whiter nature of the LEDs. You know how Xenons go from bluish tint to more whiter/yellower as you run them, it doesn't happen with LEDs, they stay the same color from the moment you turn them until you turn them off. So that might also be a factor.
      11-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #44
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
It's definitely whiter than xenons, and I think depending on painted road lane markers, they just appear much brighter due to whiter nature of the LEDs. You know how Xenons go from bluish tint to more whiter/yellower as you run them, it doesn't happen with LEDs, they stay the same color from the moment you turn them until you turn them off. So that might also be a factor.
True. LEDs look a little bluer though in comparison to the pure white xenon (once fully activated). I always use my LED fogs so that makes it easy to compare the color. LED is much more powerful soi that's also why it had the increased depth.
Appreciate 0